Linotype

Started by Stiv, October 26, 2011, 09:27:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slappy

Quote from: Stiv on October 26, 2011, 09:27:20 AMhttp://vimeo.com/15032988

Linotype: The Film is a documentary about Ottmar Mergenthaler's amazing Linotype typesetting machine and the people who own and love these machines today.

:old:

My boss likes to talk about how he learned to set type on one of those machines, I believe at the Mergenthaler School in Baltimore. I had showed him an early trailer for this click a while back, I'll have to let him know when it gets released even though he'll be retired soon.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

frailer

Quote from: hotmetal on October 26, 2011, 07:18:09 PM
Quote from: Sabrina The Turd Polisher on October 26, 2011, 06:32:51 PM
Quote from: hotmetal on October 26, 2011, 02:53:42 PMI'll never forget when the typeshop I was at bought an early postscript imagesetter, around 1989 (not a Lino, however) and the young smartass salesman threw a floppy at me and said:  "Lino this, quick!"

Glad that "verb" didn't stick around too long!
Compugraphic?

Close - it was a Varityper.

Meanwhile, I recently acquired my very own letterpress, a Craftsman Monarch (not made by Sears, by the way.) A friend was getting forclosed on and had to empty his garage fast and I ended up with his letterpress, 3 Gestetner silkscreen duplicators (a type of mimeograph) and a Ditto (the machine that made the purple copies that people sniffed in grade school and now call mimeos, which is incorrect, they're dittos, a completely different printing process.)

The letterpress did not come with any type and is missing the rollers. He thinks it was last used as a diecutter. I'll probably try and sell it and split what I get with my friend.

remembered from my radical students days, early 70s. messy effing things. The pin registers formed a cursive 'Gestetner', correct? I remember they had a big shiny HQ in upmarket Rushcutters Bay here. used to ride there on the Cossack650 in my surplus store leather jacket, shoulder length hair, for supplies. Shoulda seen the looks I got when entering the reception foyer.   :laugh:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.