Linotype

Started by Stiv, October 26, 2011, 09:27:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotmetal

Quote from: Sabrina The Turd Polisher on October 26, 2011, 06:32:51 PM
Quote from: hotmetal on October 26, 2011, 02:53:42 PMI'll never forget when the typeshop I was at bought an early postscript imagesetter, around 1989 (not a Lino, however) and the young smartass salesman threw a floppy at me and said:  "Lino this, quick!"

Glad that "verb" didn't stick around too long!
Compugraphic?

Close - it was a Varityper.

Meanwhile, I recently acquired my very own letterpress, a Craftsman Monarch (not made by Sears, by the way.) A friend was getting forclosed on and had to empty his garage fast and I ended up with his letterpress, 3 Gestetner silkscreen duplicators (a type of mimeograph) and a Ditto (the machine that made the purple copies that people sniffed in grade school and now call mimeos, which is incorrect, they're dittos, a completely different printing process.)

The letterpress did not come with any type and is missing the rollers. He thinks it was last used as a diecutter. I'll probably try and sell it and split what I get with my friend.
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." ...
Hunter S. Thompson

Sabrina The Turd Polisher

Ambidextrous, Double-jointed Prepress Slave
We all have issues. The only people that don't are the dead ones. ©2011 Joe  |  doomed ©2011 david

gnubler

Was ist das? :scheiße:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Syphon

Quote from: Sabrina The Turd Polisher on October 26, 2011, 06:35:11 PM
Quote from: Joe on October 26, 2011, 03:06:04 PM...strippers.
I miss telling people "I'm a stripper".   :old:

Yea, I miss those days. It was nice making a little extra money from all those ten dollar bills being stuck down my pants.  :grin:
Freelance Designer | Illustrator | Photo Editor
iMac • Mac OSX 10.15 Catalina
Affinity Publisher • Affinity Photo • Affinity Designer
Adobe InDesign • Adobe Photoshop • Adobe Illustrator
Adobe Acrobat

Quote from: gnubler on October 26, 2011, 07:33:06 PMWas ist das? :scheiße:
Das ist not crap! Look at that machine!
We all have issues. The only people that don't are the dead ones. ©2011 Joe  |  doomed ©2011 david

Quote from: Syphon on October 26, 2011, 07:36:42 PM

Yea, I miss those days. It was nice making a little extra money from all those ten dollar bills being stuck down my pants.  :grin:
You did THAT?! ERRR, let that happen to ya?  :laugh:

Syphon

Quote from: Sabrina The Turd Polisher on October 26, 2011, 07:38:18 PM

You did THAT?! ERRR, let that happen to ya?  :laugh:

Well I couldn't say no when people just automatically stuck money in my pants every time I said I was a stripper.
Of course, when they saw what was under the pants, they paid me to put my pants back on.
Freelance Designer | Illustrator | Photo Editor
iMac • Mac OSX 10.15 Catalina
Affinity Publisher • Affinity Photo • Affinity Designer
Adobe InDesign • Adobe Photoshop • Adobe Illustrator
Adobe Acrobat

gnubler

Notice how Joe has not posted here. Prolly too bashful. Who knows what lurks under that rich, silky tiger skin suit of his.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

Technically, you still "strip" files. I tell people I "strip" all the time. No one ever questions it. I guess since the Full Monty, they figure anyone can do it. There are a lot of undiscriminating old maids without the internet looking for goodie bags all the time.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

gnubler

No one questions it because we still accept "camera ready artwork". :laugh:

This said by Bossman at least once a week...and we haven't had a camera for years.

frailer

Great vid, Sabrina.      betcha this guys wearing lederhösen.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

gnubler

The angry German in the corner?

Are you on crack? Do they even have that in Oz?

frailer

Quote from: gnubler on October 27, 2011, 10:27:02 PMThe angry German in the corner?

Are you on crack? Do they even have that in Oz?
Yes, we are slavish followers of such trends.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.