News:

Main Menu

File Transfer Sites

Started by Slappy, June 28, 2016, 01:19:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slappy

Revisiting this old topic, for the umpteenth time...  :deadhorse:

We're changing StoreFront companies, and our old one had a decent (if ugly) File Upload service as part of the package. The new provider doesn't really have the same function. I managed to create a specific Form under the new that clients can do about the same thing but - it all goes into an FTP folder hosted outside. I don't know that we have more than 1GB of space allocated to us, and it would require prepress to go in & manage removal of files to keep it tidy.

Is anybody using something standalone, that incorporates a form submission at the client side, and a decent notification setup once jobs are uploaded?

Dropbox, YouSendit, WeShare etc. just aren't going to have any of things I don't believe.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Possum

Is there no way you can have the FTP site upload to one of your own servers? 1 GB is awfully tiny these days.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Farabomb

I use dropbox and it does what I need. Citrix has as option as well that will do everything and then some but it's pricey and a subscription.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Farabomb

Sorry, I just skimmed. 1g won't do a damn thing for print work. I have one monthly that averages 1.2g.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

I used an old workflow ProActive server we had taken out of service and installed CrushFTP on it. Works great and has all of the features you are looking for including a web interface for those too stupid to use an FTP client.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

I have clients too stupid to follow a dropbox link. How some of these people remember to breathe...

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Slappy

Quote from: Joe on June 28, 2016, 01:38:49 PMI used an old workflow ProActive server we had taken out of service and installed CrushFTP on it. Works great and has all of the features you are looking for including a web interface for those too stupid to use an FTP client.
Even if I wanted to throw a box into the server closet & host internally, our 'net service is way too unreliable. Speeds vary widely, we have interruptions, it's just not a good idea imo.

I think I'll suggest they ask the current provider if we can keep just the File Transfer part of the service. Clients know it, the CSRs are used to it so just leave it be.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

DigiCorn

WeTransfer.com is 100% free, with no account creation, no popups, no ads, and no annoying bullshit and moves up to 2GB.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

mattbeals

amazon web storage containers.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

Farabomb

Quote from: Slappy on June 28, 2016, 02:08:32 PMEven if I wanted to throw a box into the server closet & host internally, our 'net service is way too unreliable. Speeds vary widely, we have interruptions, it's just not a good idea imo.

I see you have comcast as your ISP as well.  :wink:

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: Slappy on June 28, 2016, 02:08:32 PMEven if I wanted to throw a box into the server closet & host internally, our 'net service is way too unreliable. Speeds vary widely, we have interruptions, it's just not a good idea imo.

I think I'll suggest they ask the current provider if we can keep just the File Transfer part of the service. Clients know it, the CSRs are used to it so just leave it be.

Wouldn't that be a problem no matter what kind of upload you use?

Slappy

For us retrieving files? Sure. But I'd rather not have clients experience any interruptions, at least the kind we'd have to handle.

As usual, I've been overruled and we'll be trying out the new provider's ass old FTP based system. At least I can make Forms up front in hopes of capturing Job Info, but there's also no way to send notification emails to specific CSRs based on the Salesperson who is selected in the upload form either.

Slappy

Quote from: mattbeals on June 28, 2016, 05:57:40 PMamazon web storage containers.
I'll look into it - thanks! I suppose I could tie it into our own website as a standalone page, then build any web Forms I want, with notifications & all kinds of stuff too.

Joe

Quote from: Slappy on June 29, 2016, 09:49:35 AM
Quote from: mattbeals on June 28, 2016, 05:57:40 PMamazon web storage containers.
I'll look into it - thanks! I suppose I could tie it into our own website as a standalone page, then build any web Forms I want, with notifications & all kinds of stuff too.

One word of caution about using them as part of a website...those are unmanaged web servers running in a virtual machine so you are 100% responsible for your own security and these days that is not an easy task for the average Joe...which means I tried and failed miserably. My server was hijacked by Chinese and Russian hackers in less than two weeks. Two weeks before I discovered it any way. Might have actually been two minutes for all I know.

Slappy

Crap, good to know. We're handling some healthcare related work now, and one of our people who's not in HR even has to get HIPAA Certified, just to handle the mailing data. I don't think they'd appreciate us employing an unsecured web host to move their files around.