need paper source for color lasers / solid color (wax) printers

Started by hotmetal, September 22, 2016, 01:53:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotmetal

Doing a bunch of 8.5x11 sell sheets and 11x17 4-pagers for a machinery sales rep. They've done their own for years with MSWord but finally came to their senses and looked on Craigslist for a designer. One of the better client's I've found lately.

He has a Canon color laser and a color solid wax printer (probably a Xerox, only got a glance at it.) They like to print what they need on-the-fly on their own machines to fit the sales call they're going out on.

They like the color from the wax machine best, but it's 8.5x11 only. They have tried a bunch of coated papers from Office Depot and the like and can't find a medium-weight stock that works for them, for either machine.

I had some samples of sell sheets from another client that I'd output on my Epson Artisan 1430 (Claria inks) on Red River 50lb Arctic Polar Luster C2S and they loved it. It's lighter than the paper they'd been using, and feels more like something you'd get from offset. The samples of their own work they show'd me were almost card stock.

But Red River paper is inkjet only.

Looking for brand / source / product line recommendations with better selections than the chain office supply stores. Thanks!
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." ...
Hunter S. Thompson

Possum

That wax machine is probably the low-melt toner kind. Some output from that on coated stock looks like crayon wax, but if they like it....

Why would the Red River paper be inkjet only? That seems a tad strange to me. Maybe you could call them up and ask them for their recommendations if you can find a toll-free number for them. They prolly have other kinds you could use and can tell you the nearest vendor.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

hotmetal

Quote from: Possum on September 26, 2016, 01:02:04 PMThat wax machine is probably the low-melt toner kind. Some output from that on coated stock looks like crayon wax, but if they like it....

Why would the Red River paper be inkjet only? That seems a tad strange to me. Maybe you could call them up and ask them for their recommendations if you can find a toll-free number for them. They prolly have other kinds you could use and can tell you the nearest vendor.

Actually... Red River states: "Our products are specifically coated for use with an inkjet printer. We do not recommend them for laser use because the coating might damage the fuser drum."

however, I eventually found a source that has what I was looking for, coated paper that will work in both color lasers and the Xerox solid ink (wax) printers:  www.graytex.com
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." ...
Hunter S. Thompson

Possum

Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.