Licensing update issue

Started by frailer, May 09, 2017, 07:56:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiCorn

Quote from: frailer on September 20, 2017, 04:27:09 PMI think we have a stall problem.
At least that wasn't in the "planes," thread.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Ear

Quote from: frailer on September 20, 2017, 04:27:09 PMAfter around 18 hours, I think we have a stall problem.
But you aren't short on patience.  :rotf:

I woulda been annoyed and got medieval on its ass an hour or so in.  :deadhorse:
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

Adobe probably isn't making enough money so they cut their internet service back to dial up. :rotf:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Nup. Frozen at 12%.

Compadre has emailed me some links to show problems people have been having. I may get to look at them this arvo; awaiting incoming right now, like Radar.

Ultimate solution will be to book IT guy to come up here, though it's a trek for him. He's managing the whole thing now, incuding the head office dezingers, who are running Yosemite, it seems, and having no troubles with regular signalled updates.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Quote from: frailer on September 20, 2017, 07:22:18 PMNup. Frozen at 12%.

Compadre has emailed me some links to show problems people have been having. I may get to look at them this arvo; awaiting incoming right now, like Radar.

Ultimate solution will be to book IT guy to come up here, though it's a trek for him. He's managing the whole thing now, incuding the head office dezingers, who are running Yosemite, it seems, and having no troubles with regular signalled updates.

You should try killing that download and try starting it again. I've seen it do that many a time and just starting over and it works then. No guarantees but it could happen.

Farabomb

It happens on all platforms. I was updating my Nexus 7 yesterday and somehow the wires got crossed. I was trying to update amazon and for some reason it was trying to update a different app within it. Multiple reboots and it would still do it. Not until I cleared the cache did it sort itself and I was able to update.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

David

I've had that before, I quit it after 12 hours (really let it run overnight) and restarted and it finished in about 3 hours the 2nd time.

:banghead:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Ear

I've had it happen too, on multiple machines, over the years. Had it happen on my iPhone, updating from my MBP a couple months ago. Killed it and started over... worked just fine.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

Computers, like women, can be fickle at times. ;D

Ear

I haven't killed any women, but I have force-quit all processes and restarted a couple times.  :rotf:

frailer

I'm assuming that Adobe is responding to shitty download experiences by rolling out these progressively.

I'll try the photoshop one. (it's actually downloading and may well be OK. But no InDes or Acrobat Pro, of course.

The linked page shows July 31, so not that long ago

Would I be uncharitable to suggest that Adobe only wait for shit-storms of disgruntlement before they acknowledge a real problem?
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Farabomb

How is Adobe releasing bad code going to be changed by them rolling out bad updates progressively? We've come to expect software that doesn't work out of the box now. Buy a new game and want to run home and play it? Better expect an hour of patches and updates.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: frailer on September 27, 2017, 10:36:23 PMI'm assuming that Adobe is responding to shitty download experiences by rolling out these progressively.

I'll try the photoshop one. (it's actually downloading and may well be OK. But no InDes or Acrobat Pro, of course.

The linked page shows July 31, so not that long ago

Would I be uncharitable to suggest that Adobe only wait for shit-storms of disgruntlement before they acknowledge a real problem?

I don't know where you are downloading from but the place you should be downloading them from is through Creative Cloud Desktop app. It is a small download and once you download you should see this in your menu bar.

[attachimg=1 width=400]

Click the icon, sign in and then under apps click the install button.

Download Creative Cloud desktop app

frailer

Thanks Joe; I guess we were on the wrong track. I'm willing to factor in numpty, from my end, but Adobe and 'opaque' go well in the same sentence.

Downloaded the ACCC app on my compadre's iMac; once launched it's opened an 'Installing Update' pane, which is now sitting on 1%. And not moving. WhyITF would it want to install an update to itself as soon as it's downloaded.  :shrug:

...am now trying the ACCC app download on mine, see if it does the same thing.

Joe

Probably because they are too lazy to put the updated app where it gets downloaded. Instead it just phones home after the install and gets the update. Or in your case tries to get the update. Do you have issues downloading from other places or just Adobe. Maybe it is all that water it has to go through to get to you. :rotf: