News:

Main Menu

Plex

Started by Farabomb, June 01, 2017, 09:12:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farabomb

Digi, this is pointed at you as I know you run it bet anyone can chime in.

How hard is plex to set up? I see they started a live TV thing and I'm interested. I was considering youtube TV as well. I wouldn't mind live TV but I've survived this long without I don't want it to be too much of a pain in the ass.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Haven't used Plex Live-TV but I do know you have to be a Plex Pass Subscriber. The thing I don't like about Plex is you have to have Plex server loaded on your network and connect to it via clients (Android, Roku, Amazon Fire TV, Windows, Mac, Linux etc...). And the client on the Android and Amazon Fire are not free. Well there is a free version but it will only play for a certain amount of time before it shuts off.  And I think Plex Server only runs on Windows and Macs.

QuotePlex Live TV and DVR works by utilizing an indoor or outdoor antenna paired with a tuner, like the HDHomeRun, to capture over-the-air channels. Once configured, Plex will download and present the different channels' schedules allowing you to record what you want.

Recorded movies and shows can then be streamed to any Plex connected devices. Plex notes that these eligible channels include "local news and live sports, as well as 86 of the 100 most popular U.S. network television shows."

Plex is available for free on iOS and the Apple TV. A Plex Pass subscription is required for Live TV and DVR support.

I would also guess that while it is still in beta access outside of major cities might be limited.

There is a another service called USTVnow that is pretty decent. I use their free service sometimes when I'm not at home. They have the major TV networks on the free version but it is not HD and there is no DVR service but it works.

Also I don't think USTVnow has local channels. I know it is either the FOX or CBS channel that I get is out of Philadelphia so the news doesn't really interest me.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

Honestly, the only reason live TV interests me is to watch hockey. I do miss watching it and when it's on at the bar it ends up being an expensive night. I see no reason to get cable for the quarter of the year I need live TV.

I would mainly use it on my TV but the fact the apps cost money bothers me. I guess if it's a one time fee it's not horrible but I really hate the subscription model everyone is starting to use.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

Plex is fairly easy to setup. You run the Server installer on the host box. I don't know about a Mac based server, but it does run on most versions of Windows (I have run Vista, 8 and 10).

The Plex server app must be running on the box for Plex to work. The machine must be on.

Populate a folder somewhere on your local network with media files. I prefer .mkvs. I use DVDFab to RIP .mkvs direct from DVD or BluRay, but if you're familiar with Handbrake, then you know what you're doing to prep files. And while it supports 1080, I usually RIP at 720 to save space and buffering time. There's a lot of configuration that can be tweaked within the Plex app as to speed, etc. Obviously, the faster the connection, the better the performance. I have two NAS and one has 5600 RPM drives in it (yes - not 7200, 10600 or SSD), and it doesn't have the muscle. My other NAS works fine, but it also runs Linux, and yes, there is a Plex server app that runs on Linux that is installed on that NAS and it runs as a separate entity when connecting from the remote app. The NAS Plex server app will only run on certain, verified NAS drives, and there's a list on the Plex.tv website. I have the 8TB Netgear Personal Cloud. Some items play just fine, and others the NAS doesn't have the muscle to transcode on the fly.

From your remote device (smart tv, smart phone, iPad, whatever), simply launch the Plex app and enter your username (email) and password. You'll see your server(s) listed. Select the one you want to connect to, and start browsing.

We buy a Plex Pass for one reason only. The kids. They both have Plex on their iPads, but I don't want them watching Superbad or whatever, so I made a, "Kids," media folder and on their login that's the only folder they can see. You can use the Plex Pass to share your library with others, but you don't *need* it. I was watching stuff off my cousin's Plex Server 100 miles away for years, until he turned off his computer and stopped hosting.

There are a few tv apps on Plex, but I haven't had any success using them.

PlayON works much the same way, but you can actually "record," (download) files from Hulu, WatchESPN, Netflix, etc. I've used it to get college football games I wanted to watch, but wasn't going to be home for to see live, and I've also used it to record movies from Netflix before Netflix removed them from their lineup.

For a *simple* tv experience and cutting the cord, I recommend Sling, in conjunction with Netflix and Hulu. Maybe Amazon Prime.... lots of duplication. Sling sort of lets you buy your channels a la carte. Plex and PlayON are mostly for managing stuf you already own, but aren't real good abut bringing in outside stuff.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

DigiCorn

Years ago I bought lifetime subscriptions to DVDFab and PlayON. PlayON was only like $75, but they gave me a free Roku LT. It does 720 only, tho and no HDMI... but it was still free.

DVDFab started a la carting their stuff after BluRay came out, so I had to buy the BluRay stuff after. Each little module was like $35 for lifetime, so all told, I'm into DVDFab for like $400 over the 12-13+ years I've been using their software. I used to use it a TON, but not so much lately, but burning archives of BluRay movies is pretty cool.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Agree with digi especially the last sentence about "Plex and PlayON are mostly for managing stuf you already own, but aren't real good abut bringing in outside stuff."

And I have never had any luck with any of these open source apps like Plex, Kodi, Playon etc...streaming live TV.

FB, is the hockey you want to watch a local channel or network channel?

DigiCorn

I just logged in from work, and this is what it looks like here:
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on June 01, 2017, 10:37:05 AMI just logged in from work, and this is what it looks like here:

That is what mine looks like too. Just to note that you do not have to have the subscription Plex Pass to remotely access your own server. You can do it with the free Plex account.

Farabomb

Presently I have my computer parked behind my TV. I have no issue finding media to watch because I understand directory structure and know hoe to navigate a computer. Others in my house, not so much. The woman is pretty good but can't remember how to do everything. I am likely doing it the hard way.

I have 4Tb of media on an internal WD 6Tb RED drive. I believe I'm almost done moving everything off assorted drives but I highly doubt I have more than 5Tb so that one drive should be fine. I have a media folder with 2 more folders, video and music. In those folders it's broken down a little more by movies, TV shows, shit I've filmed, ect. I just find what I want to watch/listen to, open it in VLC and go. If it's a series I load it into a playlist, curse because it didn't import in order and fix it and save the playlist.

Again, I don't have any issue with this but I shudder when others come over and start blindly pressing buttons. Strangely, the kids don't do this and either know how to operate a computer or are smart enough to ask. They also not to anger Eyore or they get booted outside to go play like real kids.

I guess I'm looking for a media front end that's idiot proof and I don't have to worry about people putzing about in my PC. There's 15+Tb of storage attached, I don't even know fully what's in there. The cure for cancer could be there for all I know. As far as the hockey, I'll take any hockey but I have a feeling if I want to watch the rangers or devils I'd have to tunnelbear it as it's probably blacked out in my area.

I have a smart TV but I haven't used the apps in years. I have a Roku that's in a box somewhere. I have a firestick plugged in but I don't even remember what HDMI port it's on.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

Quote from: Joe on June 01, 2017, 10:52:29 AM
Quote from: DigiCorn on June 01, 2017, 10:37:05 AMI just logged in from work, and this is what it looks like here:

That is what mine looks like too. Just to note that you do not have to have the subscription Plex Pass to remotely access your own server. You can do it with the free Plex account.
Well unless something changed, you can access other servers free too. I used to do it all the time (see the 3 other servers that are currently down?). That' why I said I'm not really sure what the pass was for. We just use it to control content.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

DigiCorn

Quote from: Farabomb on June 01, 2017, 11:09:31 AMPresently I have my computer parked behind my TV.
Then you're done. If you don't have one already, buy a video card with an HDMI port and plug directly from the computer into your TV. NBCSportsNet (nee Comcast Sports Net http://www.nbcsports.com/) broadcasts all the As and Giants games free, and that's how I watch them in the garage.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

FB if you already have the computer you can either install a media center like Plex or Kodi. I prefer Kodi because you don't have to have a separate server. Plus Kodi has a slew of addons that are questionably legal but if you're into that you can download almost anything you want. You setup TV Shows and Movies and point them to your storage for each and it will automatically catalog everything for you from online databases so you have an organized list with descriptions and even episode info for TV shows. Once it is setup it is dead simple to watch.

Farabomb

I have 2 cards in there that output to HDMI (crossfire setup) so the TV is a big monitor.

Again, I have no issue finding things because I know how to use a computer. It's the others that have used computers for the past 10 years but still have no damn clue how to use them. I'm looking for a front end like netflix that makes it easier for others to find content.

The last baseball game I watched was when David Cone pitched a perfect game. It was the last time I thought baseball was even remotely interesting. I find it pretty boring unless they're clearing benches to beat the piss out of the other team. Hockey is far more interesting to watch (and play) and it still has the fighting aspect. The other thing I wouldn't mind watching is auto racing (not NSACAR) but that's damn near impossible to find on live TV. At least the major events have at least a live radio stream and sometimes I can VPN through the blackouts. 

I may have to check out kodi then. I'm not a huge fan of an online database knowing what I've indefinitely borrowed over the years but as long as the jackboots aren't knocking down my door I guess it's okay.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on June 01, 2017, 12:09:06 PMI have 2 cards in there that output to HDMI (crossfire setup) so the TV is a big monitor.

Again, I have no issue finding things because I know how to use a computer. It's the others that have used computers for the past 10 years but still have no damn clue how to use them. I'm looking for a front end like netflix that makes it easier for others to find content.

The last baseball game I watched was when David Cone pitched a perfect game. It was the last time I thought baseball was even remotely interesting. I find it pretty boring unless they're clearing benches to beat the piss out of the other team. Hockey is far more interesting to watch (and play) and it still has the fighting aspect. The other thing I wouldn't mind watching is auto racing (not NSACAR) but that's damn near impossible to find on live TV. At least the major events have at least a live radio stream and sometimes I can VPN through the blackouts. 

I may have to check out kodi then. I'm not a huge fan of an online database knowing what I've indefinitely borrowed over the years but as long as the jackboots aren't knocking down my door I guess it's okay.

Basically it is just pulling show and movie info from sites like IMDB. Nothing more nefarious really than visiting IMDB with your web browser and searching for that info. Plex does the same thing but like I said you need both the server and client for it.

For any of the front ends that give you some type of streaming I recommend using a  premium service like Premiumize or Real-Debrid. I use Real-Debrid and it makes streaming almost bearable. This service uses multiple download/streaming services and your bandwidth is not throttled as long as you are using sources within the service you choose to use. If I remember correctly I think it is around $25.00 for 6 months.

Joe

Sample screengrab of what Kodi looks like once setup.