Embedding fonts in a PDF

Started by DigiCorn, May 10, 2017, 01:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ear

And more importantly... WHY the F would a print employer not equip his techs with PitStop?!?! FFS, I run over 100 @ 8up plates per day and I would be dead if not for PitStop. It is arguably my most important tool, definitely indispensable.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

I can't imagine being without it. I started using it at version 4. And still don't tap into about 75% of the power it is capable of.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Ear

Yep, I started at v4 too. I've been using more and more features, as the controls and stability improve. 

I do some manual work with it but I really like being able to program actions and preflights, to embed various places. I'm kinda insertive like that.  :rotf:

But yeah, prepress without PitStop would be like roofing without a nail gun... maybe even no shoes too. It would be a tragic experience. Is this turning into an Enfocus appreciation thread? I'm good with that.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

With XMF you can even use action lists in your preflight. I wish Prinergy could do that.

frailer

Quote from: Joe on May 12, 2017, 05:16:27 PMWith XMF you can even use action lists in your preflight. I wish Prinergy could do that.
True. And I don't use it mainly because of the low volume nature of our work. We tend to go over stuff via PitStop in Acrobat.

But yeah, a great inclusion.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

abc

Hi guys, would you mind if I gave some of these quotes to our marketing department?
With a link to the forum of course Joe.....

Joe

frailer

Maybe a 'mildly deranged content' warning could go with the marketing dept. heads-up.

There is a possible 'unintended consequences' to this love-in. If they realise how hooked we are on it, the price may go up. Think street price of mind-altering drugs.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Ear

Fine with me, abc. Quote away. 

I run Sierra, by Xitron... which is gradually distancing form XMF, but still similar. I embed EnFocus preflights and actions in my workflows. As Frailer points out, I don't use them much on my sheetfed queues or specialty jobs, in favor of handholding, but for fast-paced newsprint stuff, it is super slick to be able to embed actions.

DigiCorn

After learning about the Preflight tool in Acrobat, I have now taught myself how to do nearly everything you can do with PitStop, albeit much. MUCH more clunkier. I DO wish I had PitStop, but my partner has been here for 10+ years and has seniority and says, "why do we need it when we can do almost everything without it." She's just down-and-dirty and moves the shit pile super fast, and the owners just lover her, so I would really, really, really have to have a super complex and detailed answer as to why I NEED PitStop. At this point, it would only be if it were super cheap, because I can't sell my partner.

Believe me, PitStop is much, much faster and easier, but they don't want to slow down for the "learning curve."

Dinosaurs, man.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Farabomb

So, how is it burning film in the vacuum frame over there? Does developer and fixer still smell the same as I remember it?

Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

David

I love the smell of fixer in the morning...  it reminds me of victory.

god that smell is forever burned in my nose.
  :banana:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigiCorn

We don't have a vacuum frame. Both offset presses are 2-color, with a single blanket, and they run poly plates. We party like it's 1999.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway