Widow/Orphan control

Started by DCurry, March 03, 2016, 11:21:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DCurry

I can never remember which is a widow and which is an orphan, but does anyone know a way to force InDesign to always keep at least 2 words on a line?

I looked under Keep Options, but that only applies to lines, not words. It can't be a manual fix, either, because I'm using SmartStream to generate variable data and some of the lines break ugly and leave me with 1 word on the last line, but I want at least 2. I can't use "no break" because it will force everything onto 1 line only.

I seem to remember Quark having control over this, but that wouldn't help me, anyway.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DCurry

No, that deals with lines (meaning lines of type). Thanks, though.

I did find a way to use GREP to apply a No Break Character Style to the last few characters of a paragraph. The downside to this is I have to guess and pick a random number that will work for most of the scenarios. I'd rather be able to assign it to the last 2 words, no matter what their length.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Joe

Quote from: DCurry on March 03, 2016, 12:15:46 PMNo, that deals with lines (meaning lines of type). Thanks, though.

I did find a way to use GREP to apply a No Break Character Style to the last few characters of a paragraph. The downside to this is I have to guess and pick a random number that will work for most of the scenarios. I'd rather be able to assign it to the last 2 words, no matter what their length.

Hmmm...I'm not a GREP expert by any means but I'll bet there is a way to do that with GREP. Try this one.

http://tetragonpublishing.com/blog/2012/05/25/killing-runts-in-indesign-with-grep
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Tracy

found this, It's in paragraph styles-grep
never used grep
there is a movie at the bottom
you will prolly pickup grep pretty easy
let us know what you figure out!!!

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1162060?tstart=0

DCurry

Tracy, that looks promising. I'll need to tinker with it to figure out how to make it see the last 2 words instead of just the last 1 word, but that puts me on the right track.

I may not get back to this til next week, but at least now I have some options.

Tracy

yes, report back when you get something!

DCurry

I did have some more time to mess with this. I made a GREP style that keeps 3 words together and it seems like it is doing the trick.

(\s\w+\s\w+.?)$

So, between this option and the previous option where I control the number of characters that get a No Break:

.{n}$
(n=number of characters to keep together)

I should be able to make something work. Thanks all for pointing me in the right direction. This shit is powerful! Too bad it's all so cryptic.

Tracy

Thanks Dan, I'm going to attempt to learn it, I remember quark's, what was it? Edit H&J's? :laugh:

StudioMonkey

A Widow is a single line of a paragraph at the BOTTOM of a column or page, an Orphan is a single line of a paragraph at the TOP of a column or page.

AFAIK you can't do it with a set number of words in InDesign.

Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana