Double Hit Spot Swatch

Started by Tracy, February 27, 2017, 03:05:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tracy

I like the idea of renaming it, mine came out pms... copy

Tracy

I have another Dbl Hit plus black with a UV
problem is my black is spreading when I don't want to, Making my UV not fit
can't figure out how to not make it spread.
Please help :laugh:

XMF

AaronH

Try adjusting the trap settings to choke? That or the others. I've had to fiddle with the trap settings before on a PITA job for a super picky customer before. Design firms, I tell ya.
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

Tracy

Thank you! I will try it.
been playing around with so many settings my head is spinning :laugh:
I have never seen the black spread like this
agreed, about the dezingers.

Tracy

No Worky
Is there a way to tell it not to spread the black only?
It seems like a setting for all the colors
I think the dbl hit is confusing XMF
well it's confusing me :laugh:

I've got a worst case scenario work around in a holding pattern :laugh:

AaronH

Hmm... how complex is the design? If it isn't too bad, you might be able to add a stroke of your double hit swatch in indesign/illustrator and set the stroke to overprint. That would stop the trap from doing what it is doing. Otherwise, if it is text that is trapping, turning it to overprint if it isn't already should do it.

I'll poke around the settings more and see what might help out better.

AaronH

Tracy, what are your sliding trap settings?

AaronH

Hey Tracy, I made a simple test to run through XMF with my existing settings (see attached). its just a business card split into 4 quadrants, the mixed plate is 100% spot 1 and 50% spot 2. There are two images showing trapped and not trapped to show the difference.

Tracy

Holy Cow that did something
I'm going to do a test

Farabomb

Quote from: AaronH on March 06, 2017, 12:44:14 PMTry adjusting the trap settings to choke? That or the others. I've had to fiddle with the trap settings before on a PITA job for a super picky customer before. Design firms, I tell ya.
I had a super picky boss that insisted we had to do custom traps on every metallic job. So we followed his instructions to the letter and the pressmen had a hell of a time with it. This is the same guy that as a salesman would stop the customer as they are about to put pen to sheet for signoff and say "we can make it better". Luckily the shop was loud and the customer did hear the pressman mutter motherfucker under his breath.

On the next metallic job I ran it like normal, no special trapping and it was perfectly fine. I waited over 5 years to tell him, after patting himself on the back yet again for his great idea, that we haven't done that shit since the first job went so bad. After some yelling I said "do my methods work?" we all knew the answer and he shuffled off to go piss off someone else in the shop.

I do question why you're letting the design firm dictate your methods. Most I work with don't understand 4c black and bleed, trapping would make their head spin. Does that place actually know what they are doing or are they just blowing smoke and they're a big account?
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

AaronH

Quote from: FarabombI do question why you're letting the design firm dictate your methods. Most I work with don't understand 4c black and bleed, trapping would make their head spin. Does that place actually know what they are doing or are they just blowing smoke and they're a big account?

Unfortunately the salesman is the one dictating how we do it. His customer likes to think they're hotshot design firm the likes of Pentagram or Margo Chase, etc. I think the customer just googles things to say to make them sound like they are familiar with the print world and put ridiculous specs on their order.

If we can't do what they spec out, we just tell them its impossible and that really, we can't run it without trapping unless you'd like white lines everywhere around your shapes. They say they don't like the dark lines around them. I say, well you get dark lines or white lines... not every sheet will register perfectly in a 40k run. Just not happening.

AaronH

Quote from: Tracy on March 06, 2017, 02:04:32 PMHoly Cow that did something
I'm going to do a test

Cool! Let me know how it turns out.

Tracy

I need to have the UV fit the black
the image is feathers It's the double hit that's causing the problem
I've Got 2 hits of gold the black feathers, text and a spot UV going over
the feathers and some text.

It looks like the UV is trapping but it's not it's the black spreading
the green is the UV
TheUV should be hitting exactly on the black
It may be minimal tho but I don't like it

Your trick fixed the black in the text tho!!

Tracy

AaronH

I'm glad it helped some!

Are the feathers vector or bitmap? We might be looking at image trapping then, which gets more complicated.