Running color-copied letterhead through a laser printer?

Started by Fontaholic, November 04, 2015, 02:17:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fontaholic

Hey everyone,

I've always been told that printing a letterhead on a color laser copier (like our Xerox 700), and then running that letterhead through a laser printer is a Big No-No, because the toner on the letterhead would be melted by the high temperatures of the laser printer's fuser unit.

Is this still the case, does anyone know?

I'm asking because some of our customers' letterhead runs are getting shorter and shorter, and the pressman kvetches (quelle surprise!) about setting up for such short runs, especially when plates are involved.

Looking forward to any feedback!

Cheers,
John the Fontaholic :drunk3:

Tracy

They need to be tested but I hear if they only imprint a few at a time
it can work.

Mikie

it's probably still the case. We have variety of digital presses where I work, and they all use heat one way or another.

here we have a rule that under a certain qty, it all would get printed on the color laser copier. The cost and hassle of printing a bunch of stuff, storing it, trying to run it back through another printer f that. We ended up just splitting up when we printed 4/color and when we printed just the text for no reason doing it that way, under a certain qty.

If the customer will pay for the plates and press time, tell the pressman to stop bitching. We are here to make money so as long as the work is getting paid for, we are good :) Same goes for printing it on demand on the color laser copier thingy :)

DCurry

We print all kinds of letterheads on our Indigo. Haven't gotten any complaints yet.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

delooch

i used to run LH on the canon c6000. went through most printers/MFC copiers just fine.  there are some desktop lasers that do use a high fusing temp which will release the toner... just be smart and test it first

Possum

It also depends on the kind of toner used on the LH. Wax-based toner, such as in the Xerox 700, melts at lower temps than some others. Xerox calls it EA toner. You might check to see what kind of toner the first printer used.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Fontaholic

Quote from: Possum on November 05, 2015, 01:49:55 PMIt also depends on the kind of toner used on the LH. Wax-based toner, such as in the Xerox 700, melts at lower temps than some others. Xerox calls it EA toner. You might check to see what kind of toner the first printer used.

We've always printed this letterhead for this customer.  It's just that now, the order quantities are getting so low that Da Boss and the pressman are looking for alternate ways of running the job.

200 letterhead with a pain-in-the-ass trap and two runs of 50 envelopes each are more trouble than they're worth, but in this case I don't see a way around it with our equipment.

Fontaholic

Xerox 700 toner is wax-based?  Huh -- guess that explains a few things...

Last week we ran a full-color take-out menu with heavy coverage on both sides, and it was a pain-in-the-ass to fold correctly on the folder.  Now I know why, and can inform Da Boss and the guy running the folder.

Cheers,
John the Fontaholic :drunk3:

Possum

They call it low-melt toner. It did away with that oily glossy stuff, but it has its own problems.

Ear

Given the price of toner, I would've guessed it was Unicorn Based. :rolleyes:
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Possum

It's why they monitor usage closely if you're on a lease. If you order more than THEY think you need, they think you're selling it on eBay. It's been sold that way when there were factory shortages. If you suddenly have a big job, they can hang you up with their suspicions.

Ear

We are not on contract. We bought an Oki C931e... no contract, no click rate, but we do our own install, maintenance and buy our own parts and consumables. I could print with gold flake and it might be cheaper than buying toner.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black