News:

Main Menu

Quark 7.3

Started by David, December 20, 2007, 01:49:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on February 26, 2008, 09:01:06 AMJoe, and everyone else with font problems in Quark 6-7. I had many, many issues with Quark and fonts, specifically Suitcase X1, and Fusion. I don't think the font management software is the issue, Quark is. In Quark 6, go into the Quark 6 folder in your apps folder. Open it and go to "jaws". Open it. Inside there are two folders, one is "temp" and the other is "ttfont". Open both and delete everything in them. These are temporary fonts Quark is using, and for some reason they seriously conflict with systems. Quark 7 is a little different. Go to Users/Admin/Library/Preferences/Quark/QuarkXPress 7/jaws... Do the same thing as above. I don't remember this every time I have font problems, but 9 times out of 10 if I do have an unknown font issue, this will fix it. Oh and by-the-way restart after doing this.

If you have fonts in your trash that will not trash, because they are in use, but are not... Open all the fonts in TextEdit, type a couple characters on the keyboard, save and close. They will trash now.

Hope this helps.

Yeah, I deleted the Quark preferences and also the contents of the jaws folder. I fixed permissions using Apple's fix permissions and also ran the full suite of utilities by AppleJack and Onyx to repair permissions as well as clean font caches and all other caches, reset the launch services database and a lot of other things. The only thing that finally let Quark 7 run was to remove the FontExplorerXAutoload from the login items of the user. I have another machine with Quark 7 and another with Quark 6.52 that are both still running FEX 1.2.2 and they are not experiencing this problem. I really believe this is FEX 1.2.3 issue since it was just released in that last week and it is only happening on the machine that had FEX updated.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Sounds like you nailed it. I am not a fan of any autoloading features with font management software. It seems to be reliably problematic.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on February 26, 2008, 11:03:05 AMSounds like you nailed it. I am not a fan of any autoloading features with font management software. It seems to be reliably problematic.

Problem is that FEX keeps putting it back in the Login items. Seems like it's okay until FEX tries to auto activate a font in Quark 7.31 then Quark crashes and you have to repeat the process again to get it to run.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Ahhhh.... Quark, it seems we are having these conversations more and more.
Member #285 - Civilian

frailer

Thanks for that, Joe. For the less OSX savvy, like me, here is where I believe it's located. I've moved it to another folder in a place far, far away. Presume this is all that's required?  :smiley: 
[That's "User" Library].

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.