Need Feedback from the Pros

Started by prepressDog, July 30, 2008, 06:07:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

prepressDog

Were just about to got CTP.

We got an offer for a FujiFilm Dart 4300E ($60gs)
Rampage JVX Workflow (like 30gs)
Epson color proofer
Total quote around 100gs

Anyone who has feed back with CTP and can help with pro, cons or better systems.
Better deals....I know nothing about this. A sales rep can tell you anything.

Need to know real world feedback.
Thanks in advance...

David

which Epson?

are these new or used?

need some swamp land in florida?
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

jimking

Everyone has their favorites as far as workflows and CTPs. I've received several estimates, did some home work on workflows those that I'm accustomed to. What we are looking at (trying like hell to thaw out the owner :laugh:) - using a Chem free plate-Agfa. A "used" 8 out Screen ctp (through "Team EPS") and a Zitron workflow, all under $100,000. You should consider the speed of your CTP. We are going with a used one that is pokey compared to others, around 5 plates per-hour. This speed would still increase our production a hundred fold considering we tile film.

prepressDog

All new stuff...
Epson, I'm sure mid sized standard for proofing.
Heard their great vs HP.

EyeTech

We had good results from Epson 7600 & even better from 7800 but depends what software drives the proofer. We use EFI ColorProof - it does a real good job.

As for second user CTP, make sure you get a good warranty on the laser. Is it fully automated ie does it autoload plates from a cassette, if so that's a good deal quicker than manual, we get 20 plates per hour at 175lpi.

We've had about 16000 plates through our AGFA Palladio in 3 years. No major issues to speak of.

'I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out'" Bill Hicks

Self-indulgent Flickr page

tapdn

Have both Epson and HP. We use the HP 1050c to print on web end rolls- whatever stock the actual job prints on and the Epson Pro 10600 for glossy stock. Both do well for us and are calibrated to our press.
Good luck "melting" the boss.
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

frailer

There's a few threads here you can back-track on. Systems vary from country to country...in terms of service/re-badging etc.
We're more than happy with the new generation violet, [30 mW+]. Beware of going near old-gen. violet [5mW/silver-based emulsion]. Ask/seek out stuff like laser replacement cost, how often they go etc. You would be better to speak to users on this; not reps.     :wink:
Chem and plate cost come into it, obviously, as well.
Violet is entering its chem-free life-stage now. Have a good look at that, IMO.

Haven't experienced thermal, so can't comment. What I do know is that when you do make the leap, assuming it's reliable, your life will be transformed. Start smelling the flowers, gazing at clouds...that sorta stuff.    :laugh:

You'll need to re-jig your archiving practices, [once again, plenty of threads here on b4p on that topic as well]. The sooner you can "disown" your archived film, the better. If you've got important customers who rely on you for film/STET reprints, you'll need to address that as well...like trying to get digital files from them.

Good luck.    :cheesy:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

beermonster

i've just installed a similar set up jimk talked about

screen 8000II (2nd hand), with single cassette autoloader

plates: agfa azura chem free - very robust plate, no cheap tho, slow compared to sum - but new version due soon

gum/wash out unit and stacker - free from agfa, but we have to have a fairly small service contract on it - so i guess not entirely free. 1/3 tub of gum to dispose of a month, and half hour clean out a month. simple really.

the downside to the plates on price is your usage. big users probably wont go near azura - unless you haggle real well. having said that, one dealer still came in above azura price with fuji PRO-T (which i'm not a fan of) - go agfa!

all is good with the system, until yesterday when the autoloader broke - so i'm running plates manually - inconvenience more than a problem.
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

tapdn

...we never messed with an autoloader, Beer, just for thereason it would prolly be more trouble than it's worth. Too many moving parts!
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
~Farabomb

Joe

We got the autoloader for our 2 Luscher CTP's because they thought they could get rid of two bodies. Turns out there is more baby sitting required so they had to keep those two bodies and hire another body.  :laugh:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Santa

I thought I was set with the two autoloaders I made, picture attached,...

but in the end the operating cost (3 happy meals a day)
plus maintenance costs, (new clothes every three months)
coupled with their very sensitive nature to their environment (It's too hot/cold/smelly/loud/boring back here)
and some crazy new legal babble called "child labour laws" caused us to go back to manual load.

tapdn

Quote from: Joe on July 31, 2008, 11:10:59 AMWe got the autoloader for our 2 Luscher CTP's because they thought they could get rid of two bodies. Turns out there is more baby sitting required so they had to keep those two bodies and hire another body.  :laugh:

We have two Screen PlateRite 8300 S and just one guy who's only job is making plates all day and maintaince- prolly cheaper than an autoloader.

and... lol Santa  :laugh:
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
~Youston
~Farabomb

Joe

Quote from: tapdn on July 31, 2008, 12:05:15 PM
Quote from: Joe on July 31, 2008, 11:10:59 AMWe got the autoloader for our 2 Luscher CTP's because they thought they could get rid of two bodies. Turns out there is more baby sitting required so they had to keep those two bodies and hire another body.  :laugh:

We have two Screen PlateRite 8300 S and just one guy who's only job is making plates all day and maintaince- prolly cheaper than an autoloader.

Yes, we have one person for each shift. 24 hour plate output operation here.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

G_Town

Quote from: tapdn on July 31, 2008, 10:41:42 AM...we never messed with an autoloader, Beer, just for thereason it would prolly be more trouble than it's worth. Too many moving parts!

At my previous job we ran a Lotem800 with the plate cassette and auto loader. It removed the slip sheets, punched the plate spit it out onto a plate turner, fed it into the processor and a platestacker pilled them up.

The automation was well worth the occasional loading hiccup which was rare more often It was a plate flyoff at the tail grippers.

One guy could keep the whole department running. We have a manual trendsetter here, got to load the plate, remove the plate, manually punch the plate walk it over to the preback and then the rest is automated :tongue:

I miss my Lotem :cry:

Santa

Quote from: tapdn on July 31, 2008, 12:05:15 PM

That was our argument, I could have a live body apprentice hear for 2 years for about the same cost cost of an auto plateloader, but that was four years ago when CTP was twice as much as it is now.