anyone getting Quark 7 files?

Started by pspdfppdfxhd, October 01, 2007, 09:01:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pspdfppdfxhd

I'm just curious...we bought 7 in anticipation of getting files in here but have only seen one. Yes, just one.

DCurry

We have quite a few customers who have upgraded, thus forcing us to as well. It's biggest problem is a lack of Flattener Preview or something similar. No way to analyze transparency to look for potential issues.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

almaink

I've also had just one. Since I didn't buy an upgrade tho I had to have them send a PDF. It worked fine and thats the way we are going to handle all future Quark 7 jobs.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

Joe

Yes, I'm getting Quark 7 files. They go through pretty good as long the designer uses only eps and tiff files and doesn't apply any "Quark transparency effects".
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

30YearsandCounting

Quark 7 has been out for over a year.  How can you not buy it?  Like it or not... Quark is an industry standard.  We get lots of 7 files, every day.

Renae

We get a few. I don't hate it as much as Quark 6. I had problems with files disappearing at the RIP of both our color copiers and our platemaker. I can open those same files in 7 and they print.

jezza

Quote from: Renae on October 01, 2007, 11:16:36 AMWe get a few. I don't hate it as much as Quark 6. I had problems with files disappearing at the RIP of both our color copiers and our platemaker. I can open those same files in 7 and they print.

Yep I've had 7 (7.2) rescue a 6 job (6.1 so the designer told me)
one sick prepress mofo

Gutnbg

Yeah, we've been on 7.0 with no problems.

We've directed customers (when they want our opinion) to go Indy rather than "upgrade" quack.
They understand Illy, so it's not much of a stretch.
Too weeks ago i cuddent even spel PRINTOR an now i are one

beermonster

yes i'm sadly getting quite a few now. luckily they've not been over complex or clever with the transparency so i've had few issues.

the previews are still crap, psd import is suspect, pdf import is pathetic and if you use OPI you will not be able to create a hi res pdf  - quack cannot handle the OPI swap and uses the low res fpo file. very handy....

here's another handy little thing to look for

if a quack drop shadow overlaps another image (say half the shadow overlaps half of another picture) it will get split so the part of the shadow that overlaps the underlying image gets rasterized to the underlying image resolution. the rest of the shadow gets rasterized at your output resolution/setting.

so - drop shadows can look terrible if say the underlying image is 150dpi - half the shadow will be fine and the other half crap.

nice feature quack.
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

almaink

Quote from: 30YearsandCounting on October 01, 2007, 10:51:56 AMQuark 7 has been out for over a year.  How can you not buy it?  Like it or not... Quark is an industry standard.  We get lots of 7 files, every day.

You mean it used to be an industry standard. From what I've seen at least, most people with half a brain have moved over to Indy.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110

30YearsandCounting

Quote from: almaink on October 02, 2007, 07:15:35 AM
Quote from: 30YearsandCounting on October 01, 2007, 10:51:56 AMQuark 7 has been out for over a year.  How can you not buy it?  Like it or not... Quark is an industry standard.  We get lots of 7 files, every day.

You mean it used to be an industry standard. From what I've seen at least, most people with half a brain have moved over to Indy.

Of course Quark has lost market share... because they went through a long period where they ignored the product and treated their customers like trash.  Like Gutnbg, I too recommend Indy to customers when they ask our opinion.  Having said that, at least half the jobs we get everyday are still done in Quark, so yes I would say it's still a "standard".  I don't have to like it, but I do have to support it.

almaink

Where are you located 30 years? Like I said, 7's been out for what over a year now and I've got a grad total of 1 Quack 7 file. I think it may depend on where your at. All I know is after testing the beta out, and finding I could make files in 7 that wouldn't rip, as they looked on screen, it was a simple decision to not update to 7, and tell those that planed on updating that we wouldn't be supporting it. Send me a PDF if your using 7, I got better things to spend my budget on.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110

born2print

We see a lot of Q7, did right from the start FWIW.
Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...

30YearsandCounting

Quote from: almaink on October 02, 2007, 10:14:19 AMWhere are you located 30 years? Like I said, 7's been out for what over a year now and I've got a grad total of 1 Quack 7 file. I think it may depend on where your at. All I know is after testing the beta out, and finding I could make files in 7 that wouldn't rip, as they looked on screen, it was a simple decision to not update to 7, and tell those that planed on updating that we wouldn't be supporting it. Send me a PDF if your using 7, I got better things to spend my budget on.

We're on the east coast.  We do general commercial work.  Lots of stuff from designers and also lots of government work.  Just like born2print, we've been getting 7 files from day 1.  Can't afford to give customers any reason to go somewhere else, so we have to have all the latest and greatest.  Like any software, we've had some problem files but we always manage to make them work.  FWIW... 7 is a lot better than 6 was.

kermit

We get about 25% of quark files as 7. The other 75% is still 6. New York
Rampage JVX, gmg DotProof, Harlequin, Isis, Preps, Pitstop, Full-auto Screen CTP, FinalProof, Epson 98, 48, Hp Z2100, HP 5500 SpinJet, HP 1050c, MassTransit, Rumpus, CommunigatePro, presses