Extracting images from .exe file

Started by gnubler, February 06, 2009, 12:54:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gnubler

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on February 07, 2009, 12:04:09 AMHave you tried the Wayback search engine? Remember?

Look at the big brain on DCS! I'll have to go way back to 2008, because the slideshow was live up until a couple months ago. Weeeeeeeeee!

I wish they had a Propel search engine so we could check out websites in the future. I can't wait to see what Web 3.0 looks like!  :puke:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DigitalCrapShoveler

I'm not sure it will go back to anything that recent. Hmmmm, get me the EXE, I might have a trick or two up my sleeve.
Member #285 - Civilian

gnubler

Just tried Wayback. No luck.  :cry:

The URL of the slideshow was http://www.visualtour.com/showvt.asp?t=373982

and it does come up in Wayback in 2007 http://web.archive.org/web/*/www.visualtour.com/showvt.asp?t=373982

but when I click on it I get a "problem loading page" error.

I can send you the .exe on Monday, but it's not that huge of a deal...it won't be that bad taking screenshots, though I'll be losing the cropped areas of each image.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Here is a shareware app that claims:

QuoteThis tool allows you easily view icon, cursor and bitmap images which stored in a resource part of EXE, DLL and OCX files. You can extract and save images into usual ICO, CUR, BMP files. ImageDigger has comfortable inteface for fast review executable files on local PC or across local network.

Image Digger v.1.0

Never used it so I can't say if it works or not.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigitalCrapShoveler

I have a few similar tools. I have used them in the past with pretty good luck. I was going to attempt to use one of these tools for Gnub's project. Thanks for stealing my thunder Joe.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on February 08, 2009, 01:33:01 PMI have a few similar tools. I have used them in the past with pretty good luck. I was going to attempt to use one of these tools for Gnub's project. Thanks for stealing my thunder Joe.

No problem. That's what I'm here for.  :tongue:

Chilbear

Isn't that sweet - Master-like lovin' on the web. Great tip DCS.

I have a web flash file that is is a library that the dick who make it won't unpack, any tricks here? A little trickier since is is not on the web anymore as I let my domain expire.  I have it stored on my server at home. Lots of web developers who are "in the trade" cannot crack it. I only have the Flash library and I will try the Safari trick on it. Thanks.

Joe

What are you trying to extract from it? Movie? Image? What?

Chilbear

It was a Flash library I am told and it had my original web site. I wanted to change the company address on the file but no one could do anything with it. The kid was young and hip and me, no so any more. I tried unpacking, reverse this and that but to not avail. I have to retrieve it from the server backup.

Joe

I'm not sure what a Flash "library" is. If it's the source flash files you can probably open it in Adobe Flash to modify. Probably not though if it is just the final .flv file.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Chilbear on February 08, 2009, 04:47:08 PMIsn't that sweet - Master-like lovin' on the web. Great tip DCS.

I have a web flash file that is is a library that the dick who make it won't unpack, any tricks here? A little trickier since is is not on the web anymore as I let my domain expire.  I have it stored on my server at home. Lots of web developers who are "in the trade" cannot crack it. I only have the Flash library and I will try the Safari trick on it. Thanks.

I don't know if I don't try. A lot of the crap I pick up, is from R & D. I have a situation or a problem, and I obsessively research it, and test until I get the results I want. Over the years the InnerWeb has become an invaluable resource, but it does take some creative thinking sometimes. The answer may not be a one step process, it may take many once overs from different apps and utilities to successfully recover a proprietary or non-proprietary file. The answer is out there... how committed are you to finding the answer.

I'll take a crack at it Chill, send me the info.
Member #285 - Civilian

gnubler

I found another forum thread posted by someone with the exact same issue as me:

http://forums.techguy.org/all-other-software/388721-solved-how-do-i-extract.html

I tried all the suggestions - and there were some good ones - except for the genius who suggested changing the .exe extension to .zip to magically make it a ZIP archive. Worth a read if you've been following this thread. FileMon is pretty cool! Unfortunately it didn't show any file paths for my .exe slideshow beyond the Desktop where it's sitting.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: gnubler on February 10, 2009, 11:14:02 AMI found another forum thread posted by someone with the exact same issue as me:

http://forums.techguy.org/all-other-software/388721-solved-how-do-i-extract.html

I tried all the suggestions - and there were some good ones - except for the genius who suggested changing the .exe extension to .zip to magically make it a ZIP archive. Worth a read if you've been following this thread. FileMon is pretty cool! Unfortunately it didn't show any file paths for my .exe slideshow beyond the Desktop where it's sitting.

I'm still hacking on it. If you were the only person I was helping... I did get it decompiled, I also have got some images off of it, however, I am still working. Stand by...
Member #285 - Civilian

gnubler

Thanks DCS. It's not a huge rush - I have the other 3 to work with and I only work on my website project Thursdays/Fridays...plus my client is the type who disappears for weeks at a time before calling to check on the status of her projects. This website has been "in the works" since last September, but I only got images from her last week.  :laugh:

DigitalCrapShoveler

I care not for the shady deadlines of your customer. I only care about the one I made with you.
Member #285 - Civilian