Weird stuff_Conficker Worm etc.

Started by frailer, March 18, 2009, 05:16:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

This sort of stuff boggles my non-IT mind; yet I find it often fascinating. I guess there are a lot of gullible people out there surfin'...who click on stuff without thinking that they may be about to be taken for a ride.

A ref to Brian Krebs' article on this:

Conficker and TrafficConverter.biz

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Marktonk

Amazing,

They plant the virus and then charge you to get rid of it....you can not be too careful. Thanks for the post, I sent to my kids as another example of being web savvy.

Regards,

Mark
Mark Tonkovich
Heidelberg USA

ChrisP

Had that happen to the PC at home, it was me or them and after about 2 hours I arose triumphant. PITA but made me much more aware of where I was going on the net...lesson learned.
A rat always knows when he's in with weasels.-Tom Waits

Joe

It's not just a hobby anymore for these people. :death:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Nick Burns

If you are going to do anything on the internet with a Windows machine, more important than antivirus, make yourself a limited user. The malware poses as you and is only as powerful as you. If you can't install, they can't install.
Oh by the way, YOU'RE WELCOME!

gnubler

Wow, another reason why I never, ever click on ads and block as many of them as I can. And why I'll never run a Windows machine at home.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on March 18, 2009, 11:09:32 AMWow, another reason why I never, ever click on ads and block as many of them as I can. And why I'll never run a Windows machine at home.

Unfortunately you don't have to click anything. Often times just going to the infected site gets you.

I wish someone had some figures by how many home PC's are out there that the users are configured as Admin. And they wonder why their PC is always so screwed up.

frailer

Maybe Joe or Nick could outline the steps to do this, for anyone wandering through here, who may be in doubt...Admin vs. Limited User.

No names.     :cheesy:

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Nick Burns

Simple enough, Control Panel -> Users -> Create two additional user accounts with admin rights, XP won't let you downgrade yourself without there being at least two existing admin accounts, and it doesn't see or count the hidden Administrator as one of them. So when you are done, you will actually have three admin accounts, one hidden and two visible. You should be sure to set strong (letters&numbers) passwords for all three of these. Then downgrade yourself to limited user.
Oh by the way, YOU'RE WELCOME!

frailer

Joe

The guy is just like having an IT encyclopedia around, huh?

gnubler

Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

youston

Quote from: Joe on March 18, 2009, 05:14:37 PMThe guy is just like having an IT encyclopedia around, huh?

Hey, like that little paperclip in Office!

gnubler

I wish Adobe had that little paperclip man. SOOOO helpful.

Joe

Quote from: youston on March 18, 2009, 05:33:07 PM
Quote from: Joe on March 18, 2009, 05:14:37 PMThe guy is just like having an IT encyclopedia around, huh?

Hey, like that little paperclip in Office!

Not to change the subject but do you remember Microsoft Bob? :laugh: