Bootable clone of Windows machine - how?

Started by DCurry, July 22, 2009, 09:12:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David

do we get to wear costumes of our favorite windows action character?

cool!

:afro:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Ear

"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

gnubler

Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Nick Burns

Image good, mirror bad. A mirror is a real time copy of your system, so when your system corrupts (incomplete update, data interruption, virus) congratulations, you now have an exact duplicate of your screwed up disk.

I know from painful personal experience that software raids suck, we lost six months of prepress jobs from relying on this form of protection. RAID should only be handled by dedicated hardware, period. And again, this is NOT a solution for what you are wanting.

delooch's suggestion would fit the bill, it's free.

There was a day when Ghost ruled, that day ended after version 8. Symantec bought Ghost and another competitor, they killed Ghost and rebranded the other title with it's name. Anything after version 8 is a complete POS.

I've extensively tested most of the major players. Acronis now rules the day. If your talking workstation, you can get their Advanced Backup & Restore w/ Universal Restore add on for around $130 which will allow you to restore to dissimilar hardware. If your talking server then you are looking at several hundred dollars.

Oh by the way, YOU'RE WELCOME!

Nick Burns

Also (almost forgot), Time Machine is also a POS. It consumes vast amounts of storage, is not meant for disaster recovery. First thing I do on every Leopard box is disable it.

Use SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner.

Joe

Quote from: Nick Burns on September 25, 2009, 02:50:02 PMImage good, mirror bad. A mirror is a real time copy of your system, so when your system corrupts (incomplete update, data interruption, virus) congratulations, you now have an exact duplicate of your screwed up disk.

I know from painful personal experience that software raids suck, we lost six months of prepress jobs from relying on this form of protection. RAID should only be handled by dedicated hardware, period. And again, this is NOT a solution for what you are wanting.

delooch's suggestion would fit the bill, it's free.

There was a day when Ghost ruled, that day ended after version 8. Symantec bought Ghost and another competitor, they killed Ghost and rebranded the other title with it's name. Anything after version 8 is a complete POS.

I've extensively tested most of the major players. Acronis now rules the day. If your talking workstation, you can get their Advanced Backup & Restore w/ Universal Restore add on for around $130 which will allow you to restore to dissimilar hardware. If your talking server then you are looking at several hundred dollars.

Well a mirror isn't bad if used in the proper way. It's not meant to be a backup. It's for disaster recovery in real time...meaning you don't lose data automatically if a hard drive fails. You still need to backup though.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Nick Burns

I meant particular to what the user was wanting in this post, not in general. I should have clarified that more better clearer.

gnubler

BASEMENT DEHUMIDIFIER! How did I miss that? DCS - need one? To help air out the stench of death coming from your cellar? Just click the link.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

gnubler

I'm going to tag onto this thread: I'm looking for Windows freeware to do backups, but with the option of doing incremental backups and not necessarily a bootable clone. On Carbon Copy Cloner for Mac you have the option of choosing which directories to back up (or not) and that's what I want to do on this XP machine with an external USB HD. I want something that will only backup new or modified files within a directory...as it is right now I'm manually copying the same directories over every week, overwriting the old...gigabytes and gigabytes of them. Takes too long.

gnubler

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

Thank you, Joe. I'll look into those tomorrow. I don't *do* Windows so I thought I'd ask for ideas first. I also sent an email to our IT guy (also the owner of the company) about this and I'll let you know what he suggests.

Farabomb

Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DCurry

Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

gnubler

Racist! Big girls need love, too! (insert repulsive Myspace profile shot here)

I'm checking out the above links right now. Thanks again for the suggestions.