Job list gone in Apogee X and DNS erros

Started by SimonCharlie, September 18, 2009, 11:38:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EyeTech

Quote from: SimonCharlie on September 29, 2009, 05:44:26 AMJust a little question, how do I go about doing this in Snow Leopard?
and if you wouldn't mind, would you be able to give me an example of the addresses I need to enter ie 192.168.1.200 or smb:// etc.

Many thanks again

Simon

You need to know the ip address of your server... that's what needs to be in the NetInfo manager as well as the server name.
'I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out'" Bill Hicks

Self-indulgent Flickr page

SimonCharlie

Apparently Apple have removed NetInfo manager in Leopard 10.5 and replaced it with Directory Utility. But in Snow Leopard 10.6 they seem to have removed it altogether, although there is a thing called "NFS Mounts" in Disk Utility now, but it asks for a URL address, how do I find out the Servers "URL" address, as it won't accept an IP...

See attached...

Cheers once again!

Simon

Joe

Is your XServe an NFS share or an AFP share?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

SimonCharlie

Well, for systems running Tiger we connect via AFP and for systems running Leopard we connect via SMB. How would I tell if it's an NFS share?

Thanks Joe

Simon

Joe

NFS is Network File System developed by Sun. It's usually found on Unix systems. If you are using AFP or SMB than that is the file system you are using so the "NFS mounts" utility won't do anything for you.

So, you are trying to mount a network drive in Snow Leopard, right? The IP address should work. Open "Connect to Server" (Under "Go" menu in the Finder or COMMAND+K). Type in smb://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx and hit enter. It should ask for the user name and password and a list of the available shares.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

EyeTech

Just a quick line to say thanks to DCS's Terminal instructions I managed to sort another ApogeeX 'event' when we changed over to some slightly newer (OS 10.5) Macs and the LogOn failed.

I take my hat off to you sir  :goodpost:
'I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out'" Bill Hicks

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

EyeTech

Can you handle the truth? Well it's been absolutely shite - idiot print companies going for any scraps of work at ridiculous prices. Our industry knows how to commit commercial suicide that's for sure.

So I've not had much time to do much more than drop into the forum as a bit of a lurker...is Pointyhat still around :D...I see Gnubler and you are...maybe if I get some time I'll get to chip in again...trouble is I'm so behind the tech stuff now I'd be of little use. We even had to buy some G5s off ebay to try and keep up (thus the host file issue with ApogeeX)

Then we had 3 major clients go bust over the last year (all 3 were in the frame to buy us out, so I reckon we must be jinxed) they left a financial black hole that nearly took us down last Christmas but a financial restructure bailed us out.

Just waiting to see what the next quarter brings...it don't look too good but we won't go down without a fight.

Oh and thanks again for the info ;)

DigitalCrapShoveler

Hahahah, no, she's not around. If you may recall, it was the very thread YOU started that led to her demise. So THANK YOU!

Sorry to hear about all that shit. I hear about print companies being in serious, dire condition, but I'm feeling none of it here. We have never been busier. The last year has been an absolute blur it's gone by so fast. I'm doing 12 - 14 hour days, most weekends, too and I can't remember the last time we sat around doing nothing. It's not like this at competitive shops around town, but a few are just as busy as we are. It may be the water.

Maybe it's time for you to pack up the goods and move out here. :wink:
Member #285 - Civilian

EyeTech

Really, sweet little 'ol me? Well hey ho, if you can't take it don't dish it :D :D

I'd love to revisit that thread - can you point me in the right direction?

Re: the business....giving up is not in my psyche...errrm unless someone wants to buy my company for a knockdown price that is ;)

EyeTech

Hmmm - I checked out the link but can't take the credit for that one. I'd love to but I can't  ;-))

Could be you got me confused with my darker countryman Jezza.

DigitalCrapShoveler

It's been so long I forgot. It was Reproman... I get you two mixed up. Don't ask me why.
Member #285 - Civilian

EyeTech

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian