Crossovers and Curves

Started by Stiv, February 14, 2011, 07:40:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stiv

We run various curves depending on the press and the stock for 4/C and when printing B/W jobs we run linear plates.

So what to do when we have a BW halftone that crosses over on a 4/C form and a B/W form? We run all the plates as linear.

I haven't been too keen on this for quite a while but what do you suggest?

DigiCorn

What's the purpose of your curve? Highlight bump, or Gracol standards? Essentially here, we created an ICC profile that matches our proofer to our press that knocks color down so everything is less than 280% ink coverage (to prevent offset), and then we apply the ICC to everything pre-RIP and run linear. But then again, we can't say we're meeting Gracol standards, if that's important to your customers. Our customers can barely form sentences, so we can get away with this (some have IQs just above plant life).
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

I think I would run them both using the curve from the 4C.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

Quote from: Joe on February 14, 2011, 09:21:49 AMI think I would run them both using the curve from the 4C.
But then he'd get a boost in his K portion that wouldn't match the crossover; he'd have to run the K sections with the curve also. If the curve was incorrect, he could get banding in the K portion.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Quote from: digital@sig-1.com on February 14, 2011, 09:29:16 AM
Quote from: Joe on February 14, 2011, 09:21:49 AMI think I would run them both using the curve from the 4C.
But then he'd get a boost in his K portion that wouldn't match the crossover; he'd have to run the K sections with the curve also. If the curve was incorrect, he could get banding in the K portion.

Yes, that is what I said. Run them BOTH with the 4C curve and then they will match. Running them with different curves will result in them not matching. In most cases the reproduction of the 4C is more important than the B&W stuff and if that is the case I would do this.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Stiv

We have a curve to make the plates linear then we apply GRACOL and then the paper profile.

I wish I could run the halftone out with the 4C curve and have it ignored by Rampage and output linear.