July 07, 2018, 09:20:09 AM

xx
EU Article 13
by born2print
July 05, 2018, 06:14:29 PM

xx

Topic: rgb images to cmyk (Read 8184 times) previous topic - next topic

rgb images to cmyk

just wondering if we're going to have any "joy" using our new harlequin rip (version 7) to convert rgb pictures to cmyk pictures. I'm a little scared because our old Apogee system did a terrible job (maybe not setup right) so we did everything at the desktop in Photoshop. Well we can't do that now because of the volume of pictures so we're hoping the rip will do as good of a job as photoshop with the rgb-cmyk coverstion set to U.S. prepress sheetfed coated (or whatever).

Re: rgb images to cmyk

Reply #1
I know it's possible as long as it is setup correctly. We let Prinergy convert everything.
Mac OS 10.12 Sierra | Prinergy 7.5 | Adobe Creative Cloud 2017 | Two Luscher XPose 160 CTP units

Prepress: One who does precision guess work based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Reply #2
i think so too but we haven't even got the rip yet, everyone is nervous about the labor involved in converting thousands of rgb's to cmyk properly but I've stuck my neck out saying we could do it at the rip.

Reply #3
Here are the settings we use...
Mac OS 10.12 Sierra | Prinergy 7.5 | Adobe Creative Cloud 2017 | Two Luscher XPose 160 CTP units

Prepress: One who does precision guess work based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Reply #4

i think so too but we haven't even got the rip yet, everyone is nervous about the labor involved in converting thousands of rgb's to cmyk properly but I've stuck my neck out saying we could do it at the rip.

Couldn't you just set up a batch conversion in PS?

Reply #5
dont think thats possibe on pdfs with fonts, graphics, etc. but hey, what the hell do I know about everything?

Reply #7
jpeg the pdf, then it won't matter.
Prepress guy - doin' jobs one at a time

Reply #9

dont think thats possibe on pdfs with fonts, graphics, etc. but hey, what the hell do I know about everything?

I wrote a lil photoshop batch years ago for a friend who does gang run 4/4 cards and crap jobs, the batch does [everything] to 300dpi cmyk tiff. That probably still is his default workflow.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Reply #10
curious why you got the harlequin rip
we are going to upgrade someday and am just curious about all options

Reply #11

jpeg the pdf, then it won't matter.

That's what the gnubs would do.

I learned that trick on Desktop Publishing Forums.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Reply #12
If it's the latest/new version of HQ, I imagine it would be able to do that properly. Big hole if it can't.

Just looking over at Xitron's site... which one you getting? Navigator RIP? Are you going APPE? leaving PostScript behind? Hope so, for your sake.  :undecided:
They're talking PostScrip L3 there.
Fujifilm XMF/AdobeCC/PitStop Pro/Black Magic/ScreenPlateRite_Fujifilm ZP processless. 28" Komoris  |  Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Too old for this.. but.. there's that question of income. And lack of it if I stop.
~~~~~~

Reply #13
yeah! which one you gettin?

Reply #14

curious why you got the harlequin rip
we are going to upgrade someday and am just curious about all options

Just because that's the rip that came with the used SCREEN platesetter, no good reason as far as I know