Nanographic Printing is Here

Started by Sabrina The Turd Polisher, May 09, 2012, 08:09:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabrina The Turd Polisher

Ambidextrous, Double-jointed Prepress Slave
We all have issues. The only people that don't are the dead ones. ©2011 Joe  |  doomed ©2011 david

gnubler

No. Will it eliminate more prepressers?
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Duffy

Been followoing all of the press realeses since the days before Drupa.
Those that have seen it say it is truely not ready for prime time and they expect to have presses in the field by end of next year.
It has been descibed as a thin film - like a rub on tattoo - that is activated by heat and transfered to a blanket for transfer to the substrate.
600 dpi and up to 8 heads. Hope they are planning to bring to Graph Expo in October because I would love to evaluate it live.

Since Landa made Indigo a great process, I feel confident in his desires to get this to the market.  the speed and size of the output make it a player - but what will the final cost of the press and the prints be... not a single word said.

More questions than answers at this point for me.
Eyeballing shit is for titty-bars, NOT laying out files. DCS 7/12

David

cool...

I may need a nano of bleed on that, please

and where is the turbo button?
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

delooch

Quote from: david on May 09, 2012, 08:31:29 AMcool...

I may need a nano of bleed on that, please

and where is the turbo button?

"buttons" are so year 2000.. "The Landa Nanographic Printing Press features the Landa Touchscreen, an oversize user interface that enables even an untrained operator to quickly master the press"

i think prepress isnt going anywhere, even in nanography. theyll probably dumb us down a bit more, at worst...

Plus, DI's are just getting settled in, are shops going to dump thier DI's for this thing?

gnubler

"oversize UI"?  :laugh:

Kind of like the cash registers at Taco Bell with big pictures of the "food" on the buttons instead of words?
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

StudioMonkey

Quote from: Duffy on May 09, 2012, 08:29:55 AMBeen followoing all of the press realeses since the days before Drupa.
Those that have seen it say it is truely not ready for prime time and they expect to have presses in the field by end of next year.
It has been descibed as a thin film - like a rub on tattoo - that is activated by heat and transfered to a blanket for transfer to the substrate.
600 dpi and up to 8 heads. Hope they are planning to bring to Graph Expo in October because I would love to evaluate it live.

Since Landa made Indigo a great process, I feel confident in his desires to get this to the market.  the speed and size of the output make it a player - but what will the final cost of the press and the prints be... not a single word said.

More questions than answers at this point for me.

If its activated by heat it will dry out the paper on a wet/humid day and change the sheet size.  This is why those large format laser printers never took off.
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

Joe

Seeing as how engineers still can't get a color copier to run more than 5 minutes without a problem this looks like a migraine headache for the first prepress tech to actually run off a set of business cards. The video was interesting however.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

You get 5 minutes out of yours? Lucky.

t-pat

they really should only be allowed to sell them in pairs to ensure some sort of production is possible.

I'm always interested in what's around the corner for the industry, I thought it was supposed to be inkjet next?
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on May 09, 2012, 09:44:57 AMYou get 5 minutes out of yours? Lucky.

On a good day. When the stars and moon are aligned just right. And you have to sprinkle some bat wing dust on it.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

andyfest

It has the look and feel of the larger format (29") inkjet digital press that Fuji introduced last year. Supposedly they are introducing an inkjet digital press for packaging at Drupa right now. Prepress won't go away, but I am told that the press only requires one (less skilled) operator.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

Grimace

Quote from: andyfest on May 09, 2012, 12:04:19 PMIt has the look and feel of the larger format (29") inkjet digital press that Fuji introduced last year. Supposedly they are introducing an inkjet digital press for packaging at Drupa right now. Prepress won't go away, but I am told that the press only requires one (less skilled) operator.

Mouthbreather Sausage off the street.

Farabomb

And when shit goes wrong?

Was chatting with an old schooler at another shop and that came up. The new guys are clueless when things go wrong or not exactly right.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

andyfest

Quote from: Farabomb on May 09, 2012, 12:25:45 PMAnd when shit goes wrong?

Was chatting with an old schooler at another shop and that came up. The new guys are clueless when things go wrong or not exactly right.
That would apply to every pressman here. They made the only "old-school" press guy that had a clue into a production manager. It's unbelievable the amount of shit the press produces. We are the wally world of waste. :puke2:
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro