News:

Main Menu

Removing invisible text?

Started by fishshed, August 21, 2012, 10:47:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishshed

We're working on a workflow to 'auto-size' pages and content for 3 different sizes of documents for print within PitStop Pro 11 - using PDFs created by our customers.  Most of these are created from Word and have all types of fun stuff (since our customers are not very skillful when it comes to formatting anything in Word) that we've figured out how to detect and remove before the content scaling. 

However, we can't figure out how to remove extra spaces that cause the 'art box' to expand well past the end of text.  In these cases, they have held down the space bar, inserted a bunch of tabs, or whatever to make the text flow - instead of using the built-in autoflow feature that was introduced in the 20s.   :wink:

In order to scale the content on the page properly, we would like to remove these before applying the design layout, so we're only scaling the visible text and art and setting the "art box" only to visible elements.  We've tried adding the "Remove invisible text/data" actions and they're not working as we want.

Any ideas?

Joe

I don't think the "Remove invisible text/data" will work because spaces, tabs, etc...are not invisible text. Have you tried the text search & replace in Pitstop 11?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

abc

Have you looked at the global change 'crop to visible' .
I used this recently with a customer who had uneven left/right margins, we actually converted it to an action used it in conjunction with a design layout.
It cropped the pages to the content and then using the top left hand corner as a reference placed the content in a new design layout.

DigiCorn

What about using the "Select By Attributes," tool?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

abc

You might also look at 'remove invisible objects without fill or stroke'

DigitalCrapShoveler

Microsoft Word, customer created and workflow don't belong in the same sentence. You're playing with fire trusting any automation.
Member #285 - Civilian

fishshed

Uhhhh...   Yeah.  And seeing as we have about 6,000 customers sending us either their own PDFs (mostly created from Word files) or the Word file itself, this is the joy we deal with every day!

We're just wanting to automate as much as possible.  But it's detecting the "object" as having/not having a fill (see scrrenshot).  I've attached the PDF, as well.  Just trying to detect these on-the-fly, but I'm not sure it's gonna happen.

DigitalCrapShoveler

What if you used the Multipage Importer for InDesign to generate new PDFs from the provided files? I really don't see a way through Pitstop to do what you're asking.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Quote from: fishshed on August 21, 2012, 02:28:39 PMUhhhh...   Yeah.  And seeing as we have about 6,000 customers sending us either their own PDFs (mostly created from Word files) or the Word file itself, this is the joy we deal with every day!

We're just wanting to automate as much as possible.  But it's detecting the "object" as having/not having a fill (see scrrenshot).  I've attached the PDF, as well.  Just trying to detect these on-the-fly, but I'm not sure it's gonna happen.

Testing on the PDF you attached...if you convert all text to outlines it seems to get rid of the extra text lines.

DigitalCrapShoveler

6,000 customers and how ever many files attached to each? And converting them all to outlines? I gotta see this shit. :laugh: It does fix the problem, though. :shoots_self:
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on August 21, 2012, 02:46:53 PM6,000 customers and how ever many files attached to each? And converting them all to outlines? I gotta see this shit. :laugh: It does fix the problem, though. :shoots_self:

Ehhh..make an action. Run the action on every file. Or if they have Pitstop server you can automate it just by running all of the PDFs through the server before doing anything else. Of course doing text edits after this will be virtually impossible.

DigitalCrapShoveler

That roughly makes every page 33% larger in file size. That number would increase depending on the amount of text on each page. We're not talking a whole lot of memory here, but processing time ripping all those points could be a problem. And as Joe mentioned, you would not be able to make any text edits.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Definitely has some down side to it. Like everything else in printing.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

abc

HI guys

Spoke to development about this, technically it's still a font and it has a size and a color so at the moment there's no action to select it.

however technically we can write something that would detect a text line full of these type of characters and then allow you to do something with it like delete.

So it's on the list for  a future version, challenge will be to describe it in a sensible way