Server 'blow-out'

Started by frailer, January 03, 2013, 03:56:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

This kinda follows on from my earlier thread, as it's now been decided to kick on for another year with the HP ML-350. Here's my question/dilemma.
It's become noticeably noisier while crunching jobs. Kinda howls, really. This has become worse in the last 2 years or so.
Talked about it with friendly Fujifilm tech, and as I suspected, innards are probably under a nice layer of dust. So, while the CPUs are working, so are the heat-sink fans. Thing is, we're headed for 2 weeks of 40º+ here in Sydney, starting Tuesday.
A few weeks back I bravely (stupidly?) removed the SCSI drives and blew them out with a can of inert gas; also the trays, carefully. But I need to address the main areas/boards/heat-sinks. Considering taking pics of the rear, shutting down, unplugging, taking outside, opening up... do the thing.
Anyone else done this to their main (only) server? How did you fare? How risky?
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Stiv

I have a grounded vacuum and I ground myself with a wrist band.

The air just blows dust bunnies around. Check the fans and just replace them if they are junked up.

When you go to restart the server - turn around three times, jump up twice and pray that it comes back up.

David

remember that canned air is very cold....

Spraying that on a hot server can and does cause damage. Be very careful.
I have had some computers not come back on after simply "blowin' them out".

just sayin'   
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Chilbear

Good short term solution is to take off the side cover(s) and put a small fan blowing across the drives and boards (have a vac running near the off side to catch the stuff). You can probably use a fine brush to "knock" off the larger bunnies you find. I would not shut it down if I heard noises. Perhaps installing a temperature monitoring program would give you an indication of the state of the machine.

Your previous history when you cleaned it out should give you an indication - if it started up without the three turns and witchcraft suggestion it would indicate it is not near death. It is also a good time to plan to replace it and not "extend" the life. Penny wise and pound foolish comes to mind seeing that you only have the one machine.

Joe

I like using a good air compressor with "DRY" air. Make sure it isn't one that has moisture in the air. I take mine out in the parking lot, remove the sides and front if possible and then blow it out from every angle possible. I try to do it with every computer at least twice a year.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

t-pat

we have dry shop air right by the dock door (same air that drives the 8 color, nice big dryer on it). We put the computer on our handy a/v cart and roll it out the dock door, and blow that crap out.

I do the same at home, I have pretty decent dry compressed air due to a spare 3 stage filter left behind by Kodak that I liberated from the spares, and enough air line coiled up to trap most of the moisture that passes the filter.

I'm eyeballing our nice little dryer that used to hook up to our Magnus, but that's been bypassed for over a year. I don't think I could get it out the door without anyone noticing though.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

frailer

Am collating above info and practicing the jump'n'pray thing. But I think I've gotta do something.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

David

Quote from: Joe on January 03, 2013, 10:50:35 AMI like using a good air compressor with "DRY" air. Make sure it isn't one that has moisture in the air. I take mine out in the parking lot, remove the sides and front if possible and then blow it out from every angle possible. I try to do it with every computer at least twice a year.

and without oil in the line
Livin' la Vida Loca

frailer

Quote from: david on January 03, 2013, 08:22:33 AMremember that canned air is very cold....

just sayin'

Good reminder. Let it reach ambient temp.

Joe

Quote from: david on January 03, 2013, 01:04:04 PM
Quote from: Joe on January 03, 2013, 10:50:35 AMI like using a good air compressor with "DRY" air. Make sure it isn't one that has moisture in the air. I take mine out in the parking lot, remove the sides and front if possible and then blow it out from every angle possible. I try to do it with every computer at least twice a year.

and without oil in the line

You don't want to lubricate the inside of your PC?

(Edit: That sounded a little dirty)

Joe

Quote from: frailer on January 03, 2013, 01:04:34 PM
Quote from: david on January 03, 2013, 08:22:33 AMremember that canned air is very cold....

just sayin'

Good reminder. Let it reach ambient temp.

It's coming out of the can cold no matter how long you let it warm up.

David

yeah, the air in the can is pressurized with some sort of freon or whatever material. You notice your hand will freeze and stick to it if you use it for extended periods of time.
Livin' la Vida Loca

frailer

...so use sparingly/carefully. Gotcha.

Farabomb

I used to chill one of my computers with a TEC and I only worried about condensation, not the fact that it was freezing cold. I've never let them cool down before blowing them out but ymmv.

The TEC was under the big blue watercooled block. Spent a lot of money overclocking chips... more than if I just bought a faster chip but whatever. I like modding things.

Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job