PressLink vs CIP3 activity

Started by EmptyWords, July 10, 2013, 08:32:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EmptyWords

It's been forever since I have last posted here, been very busy thankfully...

Anyway, here is my question, in Nexus (9.5.8) what is the difference between the PressLink vs CIP3 activity, I have read up on what the manual has to say about them, but really I don't see much that is all too different, they both seem to do the same thing, export CIP3 data for press control systems.

Does anyone here run either of the two to export ink key data etc??? and, if so which one and why did you choose one over the other? also should I upgrade the server to Nexus 10x vs the older 9.5.8 or does it even matter, any difference between the activities in 10x?

This is why I ask and my situation, we are in the process of installing a Heidelberg SpeedMaster CD74 6/c on the floor to replace a very old 5/c press, it's not here as of yet, but my "higher ups" have finally started to embrace the concept that technology is a good thing. So I really want all my ducks in a row to show them it does improve the "process" and want a pretty smooth transition.

We don't as of yet have a license for the PressLink module, but if it's the way to go vs the CIP3 module, then I don't see any problems talking them into getting it. I understand what the data is and used for (ink density etc) for the control system on the press, so my other question is, do you have your press(s) connected via the network or do you transfer the data via flash memory???

I may have other questions as I go along w/ setting up the workflow side that I have not yet thought of. I also would like to hear from others who have used or are using CIP3 data and how it is going for you, irregardless of the workflow mfg you use.

Sorry for the long winded post and many thanks for any thoughts or input on this.
EW
Esko Automation Engine  •  Imaging Engine  •  Nexus  •  Odystar  •  Neo  •  ArtPro  •  ArtPro+ Layout
Esko ArtPro+ Advanced  •  ArtPro+ Essentials  •  Esko PowerStepper/PowerLayout  •  Kodak Preps 8
Hyphen ImpoProof 8400S  •  CGS Oris ColorTuner // Web  •  Epson Stylus Pro 7900  •  Apogee Prepress
Agfa/Screen Avalon  •  Xerox iGen  •  Versant 180  •  Iridesse  •  Mark Andy  •  Heidelberg  •  Kirk-Rudy

G_Town

Quote from: EmptyWords on July 10, 2013, 08:32:36 AMIt's been forever since I have last posted here, been very busy thankfully...

Anyway, here is my question, in Nexus (9.5.8) what is the difference between the PressLink vs CIP3 activity, I have read up on what the manual has to say about them, but really I don't see much that is all too different, they both seem to do the same thing, export CIP3 data for press control systems.

Does anyone here run either of the two to export ink key data etc??? and, if so which one and why did you choose one over the other? also should I upgrade the server to Nexus 10x vs the older 9.5.8 or does it even matter, any difference between the activities in 10x?

This is why I ask and my situation, we are in the process of installing a Heidelberg SpeedMaster CD74 6/c on the floor to replace a very old 5/c press, it's not here as of yet, but my "higher ups" have finally started to embrace the concept that technology is a good thing. So I really want all my ducks in a row to show them it does improve the "process" and want a pretty smooth transition.

We don't as of yet have a license for the PressLink module, but if it's the way to go vs the CIP3 module, then I don't see any problems talking them into getting it. I understand what the data is and used for (ink density etc) for the control system on the press, so my other question is, do you have your press(s) connected via the network or do you transfer the data via flash memory???

I may have other questions as I go along w/ setting up the workflow side that I have not yet thought of. I also would like to hear from others who have used or are using CIP3 data and how it is going for you, irregardless of the workflow mfg you use.

Sorry for the long winded post and many thanks for any thoughts or input on this.
EW

We use the CIP3 module, files go from Nexus to a Heidy Prinect server that the presses pull up at the press console. Same basic thing happens on our KBA's just a different press CIP system.

Flash drives suck for this application, done it before, really want the files available right at the press.

EmptyWords

Thanks G_Town...Did your presses require the Prinect server to work properly or would they take the CIP info from the workflow w/o the Prinect server intervening?
Esko Automation Engine  •  Imaging Engine  •  Nexus  •  Odystar  •  Neo  •  ArtPro  •  ArtPro+ Layout
Esko ArtPro+ Advanced  •  ArtPro+ Essentials  •  Esko PowerStepper/PowerLayout  •  Kodak Preps 8
Hyphen ImpoProof 8400S  •  CGS Oris ColorTuner // Web  •  Epson Stylus Pro 7900  •  Apogee Prepress
Agfa/Screen Avalon  •  Xerox iGen  •  Versant 180  •  Iridesse  •  Mark Andy  •  Heidelberg  •  Kirk-Rudy

G_Town

Quote from: EmptyWords on July 12, 2013, 06:20:52 AMThanks G_Town...Did your presses require the Prinect server to work properly or would they take the CIP info from the workflow w/o the Prinect server intervening?

No they need the Prinect to convert the CIP files from Nexus and allow for editing of them if needed, it's not a full blown Prinect workflow just the CIP module.

Marktonk

You will need sw on your rip and a translation workstation. Your rip will need to output a CIP3/4 file (PPF or Printing Production Format). The file will be transferred to either Prepress Interface or Pressroom Manager. They convert the file into machine language for setting the ink keys on the Speedmaster.

Hope this helps.

Mark
Mark Tonkovich
Heidelberg USA

beck

What Mark said.

We installed two new Heidelberg presses in the past few years, those two using Prepress Interface.

Export a CIP3 from Power Layout and drop it in a Hotfolder.  Easy-Peasy.

beck
Nevertheless....beck has hit the proverbial nail on the head.
Joe

G_Town

Quote from: beck  on August 19, 2013, 05:40:48 AMWhat Mark said.

We installed two new Heidelberg presses in the past few years, those two using Prepress Interface.

Export a CIP3 from Power Layout and drop it in a Hotfolder.  Easy-Peasy.

beck

Shouldn't need to export out of power layout, we have the CIP module built into the plate output workflow, shit be automatic.

Easy-Peasy Japanesey

David

same here, when we send a file to the setter, the CIP3 info is automatically sent to the pressroom at the same time..

easypeezey, bacon smokey cheesy
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

t-pat

us too, the pressmen take the plates and scan them one by one on one of them ancient Heidi plate scanners, write some archaic flash card, and walk it over to the press. We never have to remake a cip3 file this way. It's as efficient as everything else around here, especially when the thing breaks down and a pressman gets to spend half his day taking it apart and fucking with it.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

G_Town

Quote from: david on August 20, 2013, 09:15:11 AMsame here, when we send a file to the setter, the CIP3 info is automatically sent to the pressroom at the same time..

Oh no you dii'nt!

Skryber

Quote from: david on August 20, 2013, 09:15:11 AMsame here, when we send a file to the setter, the CIP3 info is automatically sent to the pressroom at the same time..

Us too at the last shop. CIP3 using Pecom for the ManRoland. Automatic.
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

David

Quote from: G_Town on August 21, 2013, 01:36:45 PM

Oh no you dii'nt!

arty dooty
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca