10.7.5 and 10.6.8 on same Mac Pro?

Started by RMPrepress, September 17, 2013, 04:45:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RMPrepress

Here is what I have:

Mac Pro 2009 2x2.93 running Lion 10.7.5
4 Hard Drives in the Mac Pro
The question is can I (or should I) install 10.6.8 on one of the other hard drives?
I know I can but will it work the way I am thinking it will, will I be able to choose which OS to start from when I start the Mac?
Starting to make a move to Preps 6 or 7 but would like to have Preps 5.3.3 still running on 10.6.8 on the same Mac.
Manager/Default IT Guy - 2022 Mac Studio, Apple M1 Max, 64 GB - Ventura 13.6
Kodak Prinergy 10.0, Kodak Insite 10.0 and Kodak Proofing System 10.1
Epson SureColor P9000 w/XRite Spectroproofer - G7 Master Printer
Heidelberg Prinect 2022 + Suprasetter 106 CTP

Joe

If the Mac firmware will let you install 10.6.8 I don't see any reason why it won't work this way. Just hold down the option key after the bong and select which hard drive to boot from.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Quote from: Joe on September 17, 2013, 06:01:43 PMIf the Mac firmware will let you install 10.6.8 I don't see any reason why it won't work this way. Just hold down the option key after the bong and select which hard drive to boot from.

:hemp:    Blame my morning here for this stupidity...   :grin:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

gnubler

Whoa! What's ole Frailer up to down there?  :hello:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

frailer

Quote from: gnubler on September 17, 2013, 06:18:36 PMWhoa! What's ole Frailer up to down there?  :hello:

Checking backups on a calendar, before giving them plates.   :death:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Joe

Quote from: frailer on September 17, 2013, 06:11:21 PM
Quote from: Joe on September 17, 2013, 06:01:43 PMIf the Mac firmware will let you install 10.6.8 I don't see any reason why it won't work this way. Just hold down the option key after the bong and select which hard drive to boot from.

:hemp:    Blame my morning here for this stupidity...   :grin:

Doesn't everyone use a bong while they boot their Mac? :laugh:

Joe

Perhaps I should have said startup chime.

frailer

Slappy

How about running a 2nd Mac OS inside of Parallels, or VM Fusionware? Seems like it should work - but does it?
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Joe

Quote from: Slappy on September 17, 2013, 08:29:18 PMHow about running a 2nd Mac OS inside of Parallels, or VM Fusionware? Seems like it should work - but does it?

I managed to get Leopard installed in VirtualBox but there are no guest additions for the Mac so could never get anything higher than 1024 x 768 video resolution and never managed to even get SL or Lion to boot. Plus the performance sucked.

mattbeals

I believe that it was only the server OS that could be virtualized. Maybe 10.8 can. Install on multiple drives should be fine just like it always has been.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

Joe

Quote from: mattbeals on September 18, 2013, 01:15:20 AMI believe that it was only the server OS that could be virtualized. Maybe 10.8 can. Install on multiple drives should be fine just like it always has been.

Yes, the server version through 10.6 was the only one that could legally be used.

QuoteAccording to Apple's licensing policies, VMware only supports the virtualization of Apple Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) client or server, Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion) client or server, 10.6 (Snow Leopard) server and 10.5 (Leopard) server.

The End User License Agreement (EULA) for Apple Mac OS X legally and explicitly binds the installation and running of the operating system to Apple-labeled computers only. Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard Server, 10.6 Snow Leopard Server, 10.7 Lion client or server and 10.8 Mountain Lion client or server are fully supported on VMware Fusion while running on supported Apple hardware.

For additional information, refer to your Apple product's license agreement and documentation.

t-pat

there's a hack, I have a VMware vm with 10.6.8 regular non server here at work. Anything to work around doing things right (license avoidance on software)
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Joe

Yeah, I have a hack for 10.5 with VirtualBox also but it sucks.

t-pat

mine worked ok for about a year then suffered from the same bullshit that everything else around here is suffering from (shit active directory implementation, or something) and is off the domain, didn't feel motivated to fix it so I just ignore it. I had one job I did in it, and have since thankfully reprogrammed it in GMC Inspire so I don't need to run that VM just to run the version of XMPile that does QR codes.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait