News:

Main Menu

Xitron speed thest

Started by tuff_gong, June 25, 2015, 01:24:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tuff_gong

Looking for a huge favor. We're considering a Xitron Sierra RIP to replace our older Nexus 9.5. We are starting to print a lot of large sports posters, full coverage, lots of type, transparency, you name it. They tie up the nexus way long. (Running on Win Server 2003, 4 gigs ram, so not too powerful). Would any Sierra user consider running a sample file on their rip to see how long it would take? Usual Golden Rocket Pony prize is involved.
"Cops Nab Co-Eds in Pot Orgy"

Farabomb

Ear? think you're the only one on Serria, though I believe XMF is basically the same just Fuji branded.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

andyfest

Quote from: tuff_gong on June 25, 2015, 01:24:44 PMLooking for a huge favor. We're considering a Xitron Sierra RIP to replace our older Nexus 9.5. We are starting to print a lot of large sports posters, full coverage, lots of type, transparency, you name it. They tie up the nexus way long. (Running on Win Server 2003, 4 gigs ram, so not too powerful). Would any Sierra user consider running a sample file on their rip to see how long it would take? Usual Golden Rocket Pony prize is involved.
Any chance of the free Nexus 10.1.3 upgrade or have you thrown out the service contract? Also, v9 & v10 can be run on a Mac-based server, which you could beef up and configure pretty cheaply. Once we switched the speeds increased drastically. Nexus 10.1.3 is very solid. However, if you can't get in for free the alternative for a workflow switch is probably the best idea.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

tuff_gong

No service contract. Nexus is pretty expensive and we'd pay for a lot of capability that we just don't need.
"Cops Nab Co-Eds in Pot Orgy"

Ear

I sent you a PM with my particulars, Tuffy. I'd be happy to preform a speed test for you.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Ear

Okay, I downloaded and ripped your sample file.

At first, it was failing to render. It gave me an APPE error: Invalid trapping.

I ran an EnFocus preflight on it and discovered that it was saved as PDF version 1.4, but was created in InDesign 5.5. This is not good. There is no reason to make press quality art backwards compatible. I re-fried the PDF up to version 1.7 (Acro 8/9), which supports all of the new mask and trans features that this poster is using. It then ripped in less than 2 minutes.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

mattbeals

Quote from: Ear on June 29, 2015, 10:37:40 AMOkay, I downloaded and ripped your sample file.

At first, it was failing to render. It gave me an APPE error: Invalid trapping.

I ran an EnFocus preflight on it and discovered that it was saved as PDF version 1.4, but was created in InDesign 5.5. This is not good. There is no reason to make press quality art backwards compatible. I re-fried the PDF up to version 1.7 (Acro 8/9), which supports all of the new mask and trans features that this poster is using. It then ripped in less than 2 minutes.

If you refried it by "refrying" then you went from pdf to ps and back to pdf. That stripped all the transparency and other features out of the pdf. Pdf 1.4 is perfectly valid, no reason to do anything to it.

Tuff, resave it as "high quality print" or pdf/x-4 and tray again.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

Ear

You are correct, it was more likely that I flattened the transparency but I do get more trouble out of PDF v1.4 than newer versions.

So, that particular PDF, in all of its glory, had flaws that caused my APPE to barf it up. I flattened it and the sucker ripped in 70 seconds. The original ripped fine when I turned trapping off too, but took longer than the flat version. I will mention that I have seen the rip fail files, but not in a long time and never due to that specific error.

Ear

I'm still sticking to my "don't backsave PDFs to v1.4". I do not find v1.4 to be "perfectly valid" and see no reason to not make the PDF as current as possible (v1.7). For instance, v1.4 does not support full embedding of OpenType fonts.

Anyway, it is the old "what I can get away with" vs "what is correct" argument. I'd rather not just try to get away with the bare minimum v1.4 when I can easily save as v1.7, which is current and proper.

mattbeals

Quote from: Ear on June 29, 2015, 02:13:03 PMI'm still sticking to my "don't backsave PDFs to v1.4". I do not find v1.4 to be "perfectly valid" and see no reason to not make the PDF as current as possible (v1.7). For instance, v1.4 does not support full embedding of OpenType fonts.

Anyway, it is the old "what I can get away with" vs "what is correct" argument. I'd rather not just try to get away with the bare minimum v1.4 when I can easily save as v1.7, which is current and proper.

PDF 1.4 is proper and current. The ISO spec's are based on PDF 1.4. I get it, it's your choice.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

Joe

I find PDF's that have problems trapping are due to a huge amount of paths in the file usually because some illustrator genius made their latest masterpiece without regard to file complexity. Flattening will help it go through the rip and trap but the quality will suffer. When I run across files like this I turn the trapping off and let it fly.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Ear

Quote from: mattbeals on June 29, 2015, 02:37:35 PM
Quote from: Ear on June 29, 2015, 02:13:03 PMI'm still sticking to my "don't backsave PDFs to v1.4". I do not find v1.4 to be "perfectly valid" and see no reason to not make the PDF as current as possible (v1.7). For instance, v1.4 does not support full embedding of OpenType fonts.

PDF 1.4 is proper and current. The ISO spec's are based on PDF 1.4. I get it, it's your choice.
If 1.4 is current, why did they bother updating to 1.5, 1.6 and finally, 1.7?

I say v1.4 is neither proper nor current. Actually, by definition, it is 3 versions prior to the current version. :rotf: :hello: :kona:

Ear

Quote from: Joe on June 29, 2015, 02:44:39 PMI find PDF's that have problems trapping are due to a huge amount of paths in the file usually because some illustrator genius made their latest masterpiece without regard to file complexity. Flattening will help it go through the rip and trap but the quality will suffer. When I run across files like this I turn the trapping off and let it fly.
Exactly. When I saw this file open in Acrobat, it took forever to preview the 9000 paths.

And you are correct... the 3 things that made it rip quickly were: 1) flattening. 2) turning off trapping. 3) giving Matt a wedgie (actually didn't make it rip quicker but it was pretty funny and made me feel better)

mattbeals

Quote from: Ear on June 29, 2015, 03:15:58 PM
Quote from: mattbeals on June 29, 2015, 02:37:35 PM

If 1.4 is current, why did they bother updating to 1.5, 1.6 and finally, 1.7?

I say v1.4 is neither proper nor current. Actually, by definition, it is 3 versions prior to the current version. :rotf: :hello: :kona:

Because there is not added benefit to updating the ISO specs. Just because the newer PDF versions exist does not mean the previous ones are invalid or otherwise inferior.
Matt Beals

Ear

Sometimes it means exactly that.