News:

Main Menu

Xitron speed thest

Started by tuff_gong, June 25, 2015, 01:24:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattbeals

Okay. You're welcome to that opinion, but don't pass it off as fact.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

Farabomb

I had a customer send me a 1.3 file from CC 14 that was all jacked up. Told her to save as PDF/X-4:2008 or at least something above a 15 year old version that doesn't support transparency. Magically all the jacked up artifacts went away.

Instead of a pissing contest, what is the most stable, stock PDF setting to use? I've been wondering this for a while. From what I have read PDF/X-4:2008 seems to be the best.

I have my own settings here that doesn't throw anything out. This gives me monster PDF files. I've been considering changing to a stock export mode that I can tell designers to use that will give me the best results. File quality has been on a downward spiral for years now and I want to make it as east as possible for the client to get me a somewhat working PDF. Making it easy for them might be the difference between us getting the job that the guy down the street gets because the salesman says no problem to any piece of shit.

Ear obviously has had issues with 1.4. He has found a way around it, right or not. Matt, can you point us to information that supports that 1.4 works? I'm well aware that you know your shit, far more than me so I'm not doubting your opinions but I like to read facts and then experiment on my own to see if it will work in my production environment.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Plain and simple the job option that is for prepress is PDF/X-4 although I change the image compression to ZIP from the stupid ass default setting of jpeg. Now of course if you are using some kind of RIP that doesn't handle transparency well that one isn't for you.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Ear

Quote from: mattbeals on June 29, 2015, 03:39:21 PMOkay. You're welcome to that opinion, but don't pass it off as fact.
Thanks, glad I have your permission.

So, does v1.4 support full embedding of Open Type Fonts? N-Channel color space? How about jpeg 2000 compression? Just curious...

:popcorn:
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Farabomb

Will .jpeg compression cause any issues? I have a tough enough time getting bleed, if I ask for them to change a setting lord knows what I will get.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Ear

Right. So, instead of asking dense clients to change compression, use a different color space or not use OpenType fonts, FFS, you can save as a current PDF version. Or you can go back more than a decade and continue to flog that dead horse. ;)  Evolve or die.

:deadhorse:
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

JPEG compression is the default for all Adobe job options I believe. Usually it doesn't cause any problems if set to "Maximum" but there have been a few instances where we've had issues where clearly with ZIP compression the images were sharper and clearer than with jpeg compression. I think it was with images that were already jpeg compressed to hell an back and then when the PDF job option the customer used compressed them one more time they went to shit. Having them re-made with ZIP compression and they were as good as the original copy the customer had...which wasn't great but better than the first PDF they sent.

Both of the standard Adobe job options "High Quality" and "Press Quality" by default give you a PDF 1.4. PDF/X-4 gives you a PDF 1.6. To me that is todays standard but most customers will automatically choose "High Quality" or "Press Quality" if you don't beat it into their heads to NOT use them.

Ear

All I know is, when clients use 1.4 and OpenType fonts, they are forced to convert to CID Composite fonts. I would much rather leave things like fonts in their full form. It just doesn't make sense to use a standard that doesn't cover all the bases. Also it doesn't support NChannel color, which can be a big deal where an InDesign drop shadow intersects a spot color. I have seen v1.4 PDFs have trouble in this instance.

It's not difficult or time consuming to save as v1.7, is it? Just seems lazy. Why not just keep writing postscript files while you're at it and edit PDFs in Illustrator instead of PitStop. Wait, I know, let's bring film back! I miss the smell of the waxer and hand cutting marks in the OVM. ;D

Joe

Quote from: Ear on June 30, 2015, 10:43:35 AMAll I know is, when clients use 1.4 and OpenType fonts, they are forced to convert to CID Composite fonts. I would much rather leave things like fonts in their full form. It just doesn't make sense to use a standard that doesn't cover all the bases. Also it doesn't support NChannel color, which can be a big deal where an InDesign drop shadow intersects a spot color. I have seen v1.4 PDFs have trouble in this instance.

It's not difficult or time consuming to save as v1.7, is it? Just seems lazy. Why not just keep writing postscript files while you're at it and edit PDFs in Illustrator instead of PitStop. Wait, I know, let's bring film back! I miss the smell of the waxer and hand cutting marks in the OVM. ;D

I agree with you man. Use PDF/X:4 and change the compression to ZIP and you are golden.

Ear

Yes. ZIP compression is the way2go.