News:

Main Menu

Burning Disks

Started by Tracy, January 09, 2017, 04:37:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Yeah you can re-format it as a mac...but how are you accessing shares on the NAS? To be accessed by AFP or SMB (network protocols)? If you access via SMB like this shows:

[attachimg=1 width=400]

it may throw Retrospect into a tizzy because it is a Mac program that expects to see normal Mac files to backup from and restore to. But it has been a long time since I have used Retrospect so that may not be an issue any longer.

We do not back up the data on the NAS via a Mac or PC. We hook the USB drive directly to the NAS via USB and let the backup program on the NAS do the backup nightly. 1st night is a complete backup and then it does an incremental backup for the next 13 nights. Then on the 15th day it wipes out the backup folder on the USB external and does a complete backup that night and then an incremental for the next 13 nights etc...where every two weeks it erases the backup and does the full backup again. That gives you a current daily backup everyday and you don't have to worry about the drive getting full (as long the external drive will hold everything that you are backing up from the NAS)

For long term backups we buy external SATA drives and stick them in a USB dock and archive everything we want to save long term. Then stick that drive on the shelf when it gets full and never touch it again except to restore from.

Archiving/backing up this way (disk to disk) is a much faster backup because it is doing a straight backup from the NAS RAID to the external HD while doing the backup from your Mac (disk to network to disk) means it is doing a backup across the network which will be much slower.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

Since you have been doing this have you encountered bit rot? Have you ever gone for a file and had it be corrupt or anything?

I'm still trying to figure out how CCC decided to copy only the first 3 levels of directory structure but not the 4th where the actual data is.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Tracy

Yes! I'm going to backup directly from the NAS Drives to the USB Drive
I can set it to automatically to backup to the USB.
I am using SMB to connect to the NAS
The Retrospect will be going bye bye with the OLD Server, Sorry I wasn't clear on that part.

Really that's how unsure about all this I am I was just wondering about formatting the USB for MAC
and the NAS recognizing it.

Thanks for the info tho, I can use all the knowledge I can get.
I learned a lot about the NAS and Shares the last couple days.

Joe

Tracy, if you are going to hook the external USB directly to the NAS then no the NAS will not read a Mac Disk. When you plug it into the NAS if it is in a format that the NAS can't use it will tell you that it needs to reformat it.

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on January 31, 2017, 12:49:59 PMSince you have been doing this have you encountered bit rot? Have you ever gone for a file and had it be corrupt or anything?

I'm still trying to figure out how CCC decided to copy only the first 3 levels of directory structure but not the 4th where the actual data is.

Not yet. The oldest disks have been on the shelf for about 3-4 years now. I just pulled something off of them about a month ago. I have a big old stack of CD and DVDs though that I can no longer read.

Not sure about CCC. Could it be there is a path character limit with it? Are you using the old FREE CCC or the new not-free CCC?

Farabomb

Do you really need to ask that question? The old, free one. Something I fully realize may be the problem. Doesn't change the fact I've lost a ton of data between the external drive failure and the CCC issue.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Well it is just printing. Not like you lost the nuclear codes or something. :rotf:

andyfest

Quote from: Joe on January 31, 2017, 01:11:11 PM
Quote from: Farabomb on January 31, 2017, 12:49:59 PMSince you have been doing this have you encountered bit rot? Have you ever gone for a file and had it be corrupt or anything?

Not yet. The oldest disks have been on the shelf for about 3-4 years now. I just pulled something off of them about a month ago. I have a big old stack of CD and DVDs though that I can no longer read.

Not sure about CCC. Could it be there is a path character limit with it? Are you using the old FREE CCC or the new not-free CCC?
We are still archiving to DVD as 80% of our folding carton jobs will have repeat runs for years to come and we can use the archived 1 bit tiffs to image plates. I can still pull CDs and DVDs out of the archive catalogues from 15 years ago and read them no problem. Just lucky or stored properly?
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

Joe

Probably because they bought the cheapest ones they could find back then.

born2print

Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...

Joe

Tracy

Quote from: Joe on January 31, 2017, 01:07:22 PMTracy, if you are going to hook the external USB directly to the NAS then no the NAS will not read a Mac Disk. When you plug it into the NAS if it is in a format that the NAS can't use it will tell you that it needs to reformat it.
aha! Ok will I be able to pull files off the USB Drive to the MAC if needed?

Farabomb

Depending on what it formats it at you may need 3rd party software.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: Tracy on January 31, 2017, 02:27:18 PM
Quote from: Joe on January 31, 2017, 01:07:22 PMTracy, if you are going to hook the external USB directly to the NAS then no the NAS will not read a Mac Disk. When you plug it into the NAS if it is in a format that the NAS can't use it will tell you that it needs to reformat it.
aha! Ok will I be able to pull files off the USB Drive to the MAC if needed?

Yes you can access the USB drive as a share off of the NAS unit. When you hook up a USB drive to the NAS it automatically creates a share for it. At least our Netgear ReadyNAS Pros do. What kind did you get?

Joe

Also when we create our archive drive from the NAS we use DiskCatalogMaker to catalog the archive. Then we can search through the catalog to find anything. And it is very fast.