Creep and background Image spreads

Started by mlarsen, February 08, 2017, 02:29:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mlarsen

Hello!
I didn't find a thread dealing with this exact question- I have a 96 page book saddle stitched that uses an image as a background spread across almost every set of pages. Because of this I am not going to  add creep and am going to ask the customer to increase their margin to .25" to compensate for the extra that is going to get trimmed of the edges of the center spreads. I was wondering how other printers deal with this and if there is something I'm missing?

Thanks!

Joe

If you use Preps you can use scale creep and it will keep your crossovers intact. Barring that I run creep as normal and then remove it for those pages that have spreads.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Tracy

mlarsen

Quote from: Tracy on February 08, 2017, 04:58:31 PMWhat is your workflow?

We are using EFI Planner, its a son of a bitch to keep pages centered or reduce them on the x-axis.

mlarsen

Quote from: Joe on February 08, 2017, 02:37:44 PMIf you use Preps you can use scale creep and it will keep your crossovers intact. Barring that I run creep as normal and then remove it for those pages that have spreads.

I've honestly never used anything but the inner creep in preps, how does this work? The higher ups are pushing us away from preps and into EFI planner. I wonder if that has a way to even do scaling?

DCurry

In the Layout Details window where you would normally add your creep value there is a check box next  to the word Scale. I think this was introduced in Preps 5. Screenshot is from Preps 7.

Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Joe

Quote from: mlarsen on February 09, 2017, 12:39:17 PM
Quote from: Joe on February 08, 2017, 02:37:44 PMIf you use Preps you can use scale creep and it will keep your crossovers intact. Barring that I run creep as normal and then remove it for those pages that have spreads.

I've honestly never used anything but the inner creep in preps, how does this work? The higher ups are pushing us away from preps and into EFI planner. I wonder if that has a way to even do scaling?

Yep, what dcurry said above. Just to add that 'creep scale' scales the pages but only in the creep direction instead of moving them. That it how it keeps the crossovers. It is small enough amount you never notice the scale but it works fantastically.

frailer

Quote from: Joe on February 09, 2017, 03:58:21 PM
Quote from: mlarsen on February 09, 2017, 12:39:17 PM

Yep, what dcurry said above. Just to add that 'creep scale' scales the pages but only in the creep direction instead of moving them. That it how it keeps the crossovers. It is small enough amount you never notice the scale but it works fantastically.
... and waht we have/use in XMF's onboard impo. Fantastic orright....
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Farabomb

I'm with DCurry and Joe on this one. I used the scale creep on a 114pg SS book that had a line drawing as the center spread and it worked flawlessly. Management insisted I had to do it the old fashioned way. While the partner at the time was attempting to do it (he was ex prepress) the hard way and arguing with me. I went ahead and did my own impo.

I'm pretty sure he was halfway through "there is no way that till work, it will look horrible" when I showed the spread preview and that quieted the room quickly.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

mwc

Not in Preps 5 as far as I can tell, but good info here nonetheless...

Quote from: DCurry on February 09, 2017, 12:59:52 PMIn the Layout Details window where you would normally add your creep value there is a check box next  to the word Scale. I think this was introduced in Preps 5. Screenshot is from Preps 7.

Farabomb

It is present in Preps 5.3.3 but not sure about earlier versions.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Yeah I think it was introduced in 5.3.3. I remember it was not in the earlier versions of the 5.x family.

mlarsen

Has anyone here used EFI Planner? I'm curious if there is even a way to do it in there.

born2print

One last comment  ;D
The scale creep feature in Preps works SO well, and has NO downside, I get tempted to use it for everything...
but then I remember stoopid FDA IFU jobs that they will reject 20,000 pieces if they find 1 speck so I don't want to do something different and have them notice.
Too bad too, they have stupid designs with huge page count + small width + tiny margins so we do "half creep" on their crap
(full creep would be the size of their margins at center spread)
Anyway, scaled creep is BRILLANT!
Sorry mlarsen, carry-on.
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

Joe

Quote from: mlarsen on February 10, 2017, 03:21:08 PMHas anyone here used EFI Planner? I'm curious if there is even a way to do it in there.

Not me...and I've never seen it discussed here but maybe a lurker will pipe up and give you some info.