IT Help Please, Software Update Problem with Unresponsive External IT Company

Started by AaronH, May 22, 2017, 01:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ear

Quote from: DCurry on May 24, 2017, 07:52:52 AMI still laugh at my wife every time I see her go up to the menu bar to Print, Save, Copy or Paste instead of using the GODDAMNED UNIVERSAL SHORTCUTS THAT HAVE BEEN IN EXISTENCE FOR DECADES! And she's a smart person who is relatively comfortable with computers.
Maybe it's like taking the road less travelled, for your wife... you know, journey vs destination kind of crap. I'm that way with driving and I'm OCD enough to see that perspective. I'm a die-hard 2 fisted production operator but I get the gratification of the animated menu drop, that gently but quickly fades... 

I've also observed operators, who were keyboard shortcut junkies revert to menu pulls when another tech was watching... maybe a stage fright thing?
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

David

I found that when I am showing someone how to do things on a computer, they could not watch my hands (on the keyboard) and the screen at the same time so I have to revert to using the pull down menus.
Sometimes you just have to go old school.

:old:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Ear

Indeed, Dave. I usually point out the key strokes in the pulldowns, when teaching. And at the end, you do a run at speed to show them the power of the keys. 
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

David

then that is followed up with the "how'd you do that?" and "can you show me again?".

:drunk3:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Farabomb

I don't even know where in the menus most of the things I use shortcuts for are. If I have to show someone it's like I'm doing it for the first time. Then I watch them do it faster than me and they have a little smirk.

Then I rip through it with just the keys and they can't even follow. I've been doing this for 15+ years, basically on the same programs. I've gotten it down pretty good.

The best was after a short hiatus I came back and watched the head of prepress in another division manually put every crop mark on in preps. After he got done with his 32pg sig I said you know there's a menu dropdown for crops. Just highlight the pages and use that. I got a muttered motherfucker for that little display.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DPSprint

The one thing i dont get about some keyboard shortcuts , is why some are different between applications that are closely related... i.e. adobe's indesign and illustrator, place command... the illustrator one is completely different and ALWAYS catches me out!
Command d has been around for such a long time now, and it took me a while from freehand to get used to that, and then they change it for illustrator?