Acrobat excessive RAM usage

Started by DPSprint, October 04, 2017, 12:11:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DPSprint

nope, no difference. Just opened a 12 page file that does have a few images in it, not doing anything to it... and watched the ram climb from 500mb to 9 Gb in about 1 min, still climbing...

its almost amusing if it wasnt so annoying when it crashes

DPSprint

Quote from: Joe on October 05, 2017, 04:13:12 PMOS X ships about eleventy trillion HP drivers in its installer. They really shouldn't be doing anything other than wasting disk space if you aren't using them.
where are they located?

Ear

You can find the location by inspecting the process... but Library>Printers>HP. You can find the app in Applications and uninstall but I go OG and kill the processes, then dig all the contents out of the library, trash, delete. Check for prefs too. Little bots like that can be sneaky about leaving bot turds, to reinstall and snoop some more. But if you don't see it in your active processes, then don't worry about it.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

Hadn't looked for awhile but in /Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources are a bunch of HP compressed ppd's. Not as many as their used to be so that is good I guess.

But as Ear says...if HP isn't showing up in Activity Monitor they aren't doing any harm.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Ear

I see the PPDs and left them alone, since they are just resource files. This was a dedicated HP folder, in the printers folder of library and it had an hp app and a bunch of little bot plugins. I don't think they ship Mac OS with it... I'm pretty sure it installed when I gave permission to hook up to a little bluetooth HP printer my boss was messing with. So don't get too paranoid... unless you have a little HP office machine hooked up.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

Our building is full of HP printers so all macs have them installed. And of course some people think just because there is a printer on the network they need to install it. Even if they don't even know where that printer is at.

Ear

Well, they get to be a part of HP's grand experiment too... is this the new "civic minded"? Get a FB account, use gewgle and install HP print app, the AI/DLs have stuff to learn, people, contribute!

Joe

Facebook is old news. No one that is cool uses Facebook anymore. :hello:

Ear

I have never used the FB, does that make me ice cold? ... cold doesn't bother me anyway.  8)

Joe

Ear

:lmao:  

Talked to the temp kid a little more. I want to get him up here to play computers. He's a sharp one.

sgrhill

Quote from: DPSprint on October 04, 2017, 12:42:30 PM"Jan commented  ·  October 04, 2017 21:37  ·

Exact same problem here.
On a workstation with Yosemite installed we had this problem. In the meantime this workstation has being switched for a brand new iMac with Sierra. Same problem again with Acrobat Pro DC.

We uninstalled Acrobat with the official uninstaller and manually removed the remaining files and folders related to Acrobat. Then restarted the iMac and reinstalled Acrobat Pro. The problem remaines.
Adobe please fix this memory leak!"
I'm the quoted Jan.  :hello:
It's very frustrating to encounter this memory leak from Acrobat. I've posted the problem also at the Adobe > Acrobat forum.
Last month I've contacted someone from Adobe via chat regarding this problem. After this chat the problem seemed to be solved. But half an hour later the memory leak started again. I think I'll start another chat again this week.

Joe

Quote from: sgrhill on October 11, 2017, 03:04:56 AM
Quote from: DPSprint on October 04, 2017, 12:42:30 PM"Jan commented  ·  October 04, 2017 21:37  ·

Exact same problem here.
On a workstation with Yosemite installed we had this problem. In the meantime this workstation has being switched for a brand new iMac with Sierra. Same problem again with Acrobat Pro DC.

We uninstalled Acrobat with the official uninstaller and manually removed the remaining files and folders related to Acrobat. Then restarted the iMac and reinstalled Acrobat Pro. The problem remaines.
Adobe please fix this memory leak!"
I'm the quoted Jan.  :hello:
It's very frustrating to encounter this memory leak from Acrobat. I've posted the problem also at the Adobe > Acrobat forum.
Last month I've contacted someone from Adobe via chat regarding this problem. After this chat the problem seemed to be solved. But half an hour later the memory leak started again. I think I'll start another chat again this week.

Welcome to the forum. We haven't been much help on this subject which seems to be a weird one since only a few people are seeing this.

pspdfppdfxhd

I AM seeing this, not as drastic as some are experiencing but "the system is out of memory" box comes up a couple of times a week at least. If the computer is left running over the weekend with Acrobat open it will happen for sure. I've seen Acrobat using over 50GB of memory, which is strange because I only have 16 installed. It's like it's "blowing up" like a balloon over time.

Joe

Quote from: pspdfppdfxhd on October 11, 2017, 07:56:43 AMI AM seeing this, not as drastic as some are experiencing but "the system is out of memory" box comes up a couple of times a week at least. If the computer is left running over the weekend with Acrobat open it will happen for sure. I've seen Acrobat using over 50GB of memory, which is strange because I only have 16 installed. It's like it's "blowing up" like a balloon over time.

Well I think we have discovered the reason for your Acrobat crashing all the time. :tongue:

Once an application exhausts all of the physical ram it starts using hard disk space for virtual memory which is much slower than physical ram (unless you have an SSD HD). Which also explains why the app slows down a lot before eventually crashing.