News:

Main Menu

Disk Management

Started by Joe, January 13, 2008, 10:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

What are you supposed to use for it in Ubuntu 7.10 Server (command line only)? Somewhere there should be a manual on this crazy thing! >:(
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

zox

What do you want to do Joe?
Partition editing or formatting?

Parted is for partion editing, if you have a GUI that you would use QTparted or Gparted.
Formatting is actually very easy, depending on which system you want to use.
e.g. to format partition with EXT3, you use mkfs.ext3 partition

Joe

I've converted one of our previous Nexus boxes to Linux Server 7.10. No GUI. It's just going to be used as a web server and ftp server. I've installed the OS on a single 36 GB SCSI disk and I've got two other 72 GB SCSI disks that were striped on Win 2000 Server so it looked like one large drive. I'd like to be able to do that in Ubuntu and use that as my FTP data drive for customers to upload their files onto.

I think I can format them with fdisk as two single drives but I'd really like to have them like they were striped in Win 2000 as one large drive. I'm not planning on doing any mirroring as this is just a short term storage spot and as soon as the files are copied to our file server they can be deleted from the FTP drive.

Also can't get Samba to work right. I can see my Ubuntu PC on the network but cannot connect to it. It tells my user name or password is wrong but it's the same that I log onto Ubuntu with and I don't have any problems logging into it with that user name and password. Any idea?

zox

Do you have hardware RAID card in your server?
You might be lucky and have the hardware raid card, it would be mater of just formatting partition.
If you want software RAID, regardles mirroring or stripping you will lose your WIndows partition and data for sure.
It's not simple and here is some old instruction that should work for all systems.
http://www.ambienteto.arti.beniculturali.it/doc/lg/issue45/nielsen.html

There might be more up to date ways to do this but have no time to dig (never really needed software RAID on Linux).
Check Ubuntu forums too and don't be afraid to ask, lot's of helpful people there.
For your samba I suspect that you did not create user.
Even though you have system user created and using same user on another computer you must create samba user.
It's simple command:sudo smbpasswd -a username where username is your username.

Repeat for all other users. They'll also have to have linux accounts too.

After this you should be ok, if not there might be some permission problems for multiple users which can be solved easy too.

If you are not terminal experienced, I would suggest you to install Webmin, it will make your life much easier for administering that machine.
You can use it from any computer on network through your web browser.

I hope this helped.

Joe

zox,

Thanks for all that info. Will look into it all.

Software raid was what I was thinking and it's no problem to lose all of the Windows info. The disks are empty anyway...just formatted as NTFS.

Also thanks for the Samba info. Didn't know I had to do that. More work for the weekend now. LOL

Interested in the Webmin too. Might make things easier. Just didn't want the overhead a full blown GUI takes. Saving the horsepower for other things.

Thanks again.

Joe

zox

You are welcome.

I've spent a lot of time at home fiddling with Linux, believe it or not out of pleasure.
Nice thing about it is it doesn't really change a lot, once you learn terminal commands and how Linux works, that's it.
GUI might change a lot from version to version but commands mostly stay the same.

Don't be afraid of Webmin either, sometimes it can make your life much easier and there is not GUI overhead (you are remotely manipulating server through browser).

If I can remember correctly you can even visually setup your RAID and stuff.

Good luck and if you need more assistance, I'll be around.

Joe

Thanks. I'm sure you'll be hearing more from me. ;D

Joe

Hey zox,

Thanks again for the heads up with webmin. Installed it this morning and that is going to make life a whole lot easier. WOW, that thing is great!!! ;D

zox

It saved me a lot of hussle.
I think you can find plugin for almost anything you want to do and never again look in terminal.

I am glad I could help  :)