Solid Spot Color on 80# Coated Litho Label stock causing issues

Started by rickself, January 22, 2018, 11:25:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickself

Hey all -
We are printing a one color job on 80# Coated Litho Label stock. It's pretty much a side to side, front to back paint job over the sheet. The pressmen are having issues with the sheets sticking through the press and tearing. We first tried a 75% and 50% screen of process colors but that left holes in the ink no matter what angles we used. It's a one color job, Pantone 477, but they want to use 2 plates. We are a folding carton plant and don't print 80 stock that often.
What we are now attempting to do is print with 2 plates as tints of the solid in hopes it will go through with more success. So now trying tints of the spot ink. to get away from the screening issue.
It's a dumb question but how much ink is too much ink? 2 plates with a 50% tint? Does 50% plus 50% equal 100%? Not thinking so.
Does any of this make sense?

Rick Self, Prepress Oldie
Mac Mini M1   G5 Quad-Core Intel Sierra  HP DesignJet Z6 44in   RICOH Pro C5200S
Fiery BCE5  Xitron Navigator v.13   Screen 8000II   Azura Plates   Komori L640

Tracy

Is it the label stock and not the ink causing it to tear?
There shouldn't be any reason you can't do 100+100
on a 1 color unless it's a stock problem

rickself

Hey Tracy -
They're having issues with just 1 plate at 100% so they thought that 2 plates with tints might solve the problem. I guess the sheet is so saturated that it's tearing in the press.
I'm not a pressman so can't answer for them but there must be something they can adjust on press to assist the sheet.
But they want to try the 2 plate approach.
Like I said, we are used to printing on 18pt to 28pt and this litho label stock is something new to them.
Mac Mini M1   G5 Quad-Core Intel Sierra  HP DesignJet Z6 44in   RICOH Pro C5200S

Ear

Have you tried using low-tack ink? Our web presses have to run low-tack on thin gloss and in the winter in general. We switch back to high-tack ink in the summer, so it doesn't go the other way and get too soupy.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Farabomb

When we do paint jobs I normally make a 50% kicker for the pressmen. Ear has a good point about the tack reducer as well.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

rickself

Quote from: Ear on January 22, 2018, 12:02:05 PMHave you tried using low-tack ink? Our web presses have to run low-tack on thin gloss and in the winter in general. We switch back to high-tack ink in the summer, so it doesn't go the other way and get too soupy.
We have not tried the low-tack but that is absolutely going into my book of tricks. We have the ink already for this job but the next time this type of job comes up, we will have to check into that. Thank you!

Farabomb

Ink companies make stir in tack reducer. We get ours from braden. We always have it in the shelf in case this happens.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

rickself

Quote from: Farabomb on January 22, 2018, 01:11:57 PMInk companies make stir in tack reducer. We get ours from braden. We always have it in the shelf in case this happens.
Thanks, Farabomb. Added to my book of tricks also.
The powers that be have decided on this job to send it out to another printer that handles this stock on a regular basis. I hate giving up - prepress does not like the term 'giving up'!

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: rickself on January 22, 2018, 01:24:28 PM
Quote from: Farabomb on January 22, 2018, 01:11:57 PMInk companies make stir in tack reducer. We get ours from braden. We always have it in the shelf in case this happens.
Thanks, Farabomb. Added to my book of tricks also.
The powers that be have decided on this job to send it out to another printer that handles this stock on a regular basis. I hate giving up - prepress does not like the term 'giving up'!

True. It reminds me of my dog. If you throw the ball outside and she loses it in the snow, she will run around in circles forever trying to find it. I always have to go find it for her. I suppose she would run around till she died of exhaustion. Reminds me of prepress work. (Prepress personality disorder?).