It's official - Adobe's finally going all Cloud

Started by Possum, May 06, 2013, 11:54:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laurens

Quote from: Sabrina The Turd Polisher on May 07, 2013, 10:34:38 AMIs anyone using the "cloud" here on B4P?

If you define the 'cloud' as the 'use of computing resources (hardware and software) that are delivered as a service over a network (typically the Internet)' - like Wikipedia does - then the majority of printers are already using the cloud. Most of them have a web site which they don't host themselves on their own systems - that is a cloud service! Many also use cloud services for their FTP-server or e-mail or something like Apogee StoreFront web-to-print (a shameless plug, I know, but I am supposed to do such things  :wink: ).

I think Adobe calling their software suite a cloud service is more a reflection of their long term ambitions than an actual reality. Right now they use the cloud for providing access to software downloads, licensing, updates, some collaboration tools, etc.  InDesign or Photoshop are still installed on your local computer. Some day however that software or a part of it may run as a full cloud service. I think it would be great if some of the PDF corrrections you can do in Acrobat would be available on the web on a monthly basis - for those people that only need this once a year or so.
Having fun writing about prepress & printing for my Prepressure site

Joe

Quote from: abc on May 08, 2013, 12:47:01 AMI've seen nothing about Acrobat and Creative Cloud which kind of makes sense as Adobe openly admit that their main market is not Graphic Arts, but the corporate electronic document market

Also the Adobe product page for Acrobat doesn't bombard you with CC messaging like the other creative suite application pages.

Anybody heard/seen anything about Acrobat?

Whatever happened to the Enfocus stand alone PDF editor? NEO I believe it was. Had it not been priced at about the price of a decent car it had some possibilities. Maybe this would be a good time to resurrect that?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DCurry

Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

abc

Neo was a bit before my time, from what I know it wasn't that popular so it didn't make sense to continue it.

I really don't think they can tie Acrobat to the Creative Cloud, it doesn't make sense for corporates/goverment etc, as in my opinion there are no real benefits in the Creative Cloud concept.

Also if you have Acrobat already do you really need to upgrade?

PDF2.0 is coming but that's not really a radical change as in old days when PDF versions meant you needed to upgrade your Acrobat.

How many people on this forum are running on Acrobat XI?

almaink

I talked this over with the owner and he's going to poll our customers and see what they are going to do. We are suggesting they keep the versions they are now using and save some money by not bothering to update to the cloud. I would prefer to spend what little money I have for software on PDF editing software that I can use not Adobe apps I only need to open and fix customers files. I have CS, CS2, CS3, CS4, and CS5.5, and I use CS3 still for almost everything I do. I think I can get by with those for any new files I need to create here for the rest of my life.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

DCurry

Quote from: abc on May 08, 2013, 05:34:09 AMNeo was a bit before my time, from what I know it wasn't that popular so it didn't make sense to continue it.

I've got a Nexus workflow, so I use Neo to trap files occasionally if the auto-trap module doesn't do what I want - usually to put a keep-away trap on rich black where the black is less than 100k (there is a threshold setting in the trap module of Nexus, but it doesn't seem to work.)

I also use it anytime I need to edit a photo in a PDF, which is quite frequent. Trying to edit photos from Acrobat often results in the "can't open due to unsupported color space" error.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

gnubler

Quote from: almaink on May 08, 2013, 07:22:35 AMI think I can get by with those for any new files I need to create here for the rest of my life.

Right. Where I worked up until 2010 we were still using plain old CS. It worked fine for our workflow (for a newspaper) and if we got any customer files we only accepted PDF. I'm on CS3 at work now and it will likely never be upgraded.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Quote from: abc on May 08, 2013, 05:34:09 AMNeo was a bit before my time, from what I know it wasn't that popular so it didn't make sense to continue it.

I really don't think they can tie Acrobat to the Creative Cloud, it doesn't make sense for corporates/goverment etc, as in my opinion there are no real benefits in the Creative Cloud concept.

Also if you have Acrobat already do you really need to upgrade?

PDF2.0 is coming but that's not really a radical change as in old days when PDF versions meant you needed to upgrade your Acrobat.

How many people on this forum are running on Acrobat XI?

It wasn't popular because of the ridiculous price tag on it. I used it for a bit while we were trying out Nexus Odyssey. I loved it but no way were we paying what Artworks Systems was asking at the time. Which was around $8k for the trapping version.

We do not have Acrobat XI mainly because we bought CS6 early when it came with Acrobat X but I still think people will need to stay upgraded on Acrobat. It seems anytime they update Photoshop, Illustrator, or InDesign it affects Acrobat down the line.

And Acrobat is already in the Creative Cloud. This is from their October 14, 2012 press release:

QuoteAcrobat XI Pro has arrived

From the beginning, we promised that Creative Cloud members would always get the latest software upgrades at no extra charge. We're excited to make this happen today with the release of Acrobat XI Pro. Members can go to the Apps page right now to download and install Adobe's newest and most powerful collaboration solution.

gnubler

QuoteWe're excited to make this happen today

I'm not.  :sleepy:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Got emails from two different customers this morning. One is going all in with CC. The other is switching back to Quark. So some people are going through with their threats of abandoning Adobe.

Slappy

That's insane, I had to use Quark twice this week and it was so horribly painful I can't even begin to imagine changing ALLL your files over.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Joe

It may just be a knee jerk reaction to the fleece. We'll see if they carry through.

gnubler

Just quark? So they have no plans on doing image edits or artwork in Illy/PS?

born2print

Quote from: gnubler on May 09, 2013, 12:59:52 PMJust quark? So they have no plans on doing image edits or artwork in Illy/PS?
I suppose the thought is to stop at CS5.5 or 6 (or whatever) for those :shrug:
Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...

gnubler

Quote from: born2print on May 09, 2013, 01:01:32 PM
Quote from: gnubler on May 09, 2013, 12:59:52 PMJust quark? So they have no plans on doing image edits or artwork in Illy/PS?
I suppose the thought is to stop at CS5.5 or 6 (or whatever) for those :shrug:

Then why not use Indy 5.5/6 forever? I'd rather use old CS or even Indy v.2 or whatever rather than use any version of quark for any reason.  :laugh: