Recent

Author Topic: Adding Bleed to a pdf.  (Read 30687 times)

Offline Adriano

• Gave up booze since 01/01/09
    • I work here
Re: Adding Bleed to a pdf.
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2008, 04:06:18 PM »
Good one
Thank you ;)
Still not drinking. Never been better

Offline gumbylives

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2008, 04:52:20 PM »
Just a stupid question but where is the attachment?
I can't seem to find out where to look to get this actionlist.
Any help would be appreciated :shocked:

Offline DigitalCrapShoveler

• Mighty Joe's Son
  • Supreme Ninja
  • Let me know if you're a size 14.
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2008, 04:54:50 PM »

Just a stupid question but where is the attachment?
I can't seem to find out where to look to get this actionlist.
Any help would be appreciated :shocked:

Page 1, third post down. Where it says: "Add Bleed.zip" Click and will download.
Bates  •  Vorhees  •  Meyers  •  Krueger  •  Hobbs  •  Lecter  •  Dollarhyde  •  Bateman  •  Gumb  •  Doe  •  Morgan •  Todd •  Kevin •  DCS •  Kasem

"Does it really matter? There's shit in the meat and we're all pink inside. Live a little..." The Gnub

"I look forward to the sweet release of death..." Dave, on behalf of all Prepress

Member #285 • OG PH8 • Award-Winning • Population Control Enthusiast • Master of Freehand Jobs • Hater of All • Prodigy of Addition & Subtraction

Offline frailer

• Sydney, OZ.
  • Global Moderator
  • Supreme Ninja
  • Older, and digitally challenged
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2008, 06:29:59 PM »
Bear in mind, too, that you gotta be logged in to see the .zip link.

Oh, BTW gumbylives, let me know if you need a pointer to upload a gumby avatar. The Blockheads are currently unemployed.  :laugh:
Fujifilm XMF/AdobeCC/PitStop Pro/Black Magic/ScreenPlateRite_Fujifilm ZP processless. 28" Komoris  |  Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Too old for this.. but.. there's that question of income. And lack of it if I stop.
~~~~~~

• Mighty Joe's Son
  • Supreme Ninja
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2008, 06:40:47 PM »

Bear in mind, too, that you gotta be logged in to see the .zip link.

Oh, BTW gumbylives, let me know if you need a pointer to upload a gumby avatar. The Blockheads are currently unemployed.  :laugh:

I was not aware of that, thanks Frailer.
Bates  •  Vorhees  •  Meyers  •  Krueger  •  Hobbs  •  Lecter  •  Dollarhyde  •  Bateman  •  Gumb  •  Doe  •  Morgan •  Todd •  Kevin •  DCS •  Kasem

"Does it really matter? There's shit in the meat and we're all pink inside. Live a little..." The Gnub

"I look forward to the sweet release of death..." Dave, on behalf of all Prepress

Member #285 • OG PH8 • Award-Winning • Population Control Enthusiast • Master of Freehand Jobs • Hater of All • Prodigy of Addition & Subtraction

Offline Cool Hand Luke

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2008, 08:15:11 PM »
Hello fellow prepress slaves.

I just found this forum when browsing the prepressure.com site. I added this thought to their bleed section, so what the hell, I'll add it here too, FWLIW...

Any prepress person not using PitStop along with Acrobat is causing a lot of trouble for themselves.

The easiest way to fix bleed issues if native files are not provided is to parse out the image into Photoshop and increase the canvas size of the image, then free transform and/or clone in the necessary bleed. Just enlarging the image in Acrobat isn't always the best option. If you parse out the image and increase the canvas size, then add bleed by either free transforming it or cloning in bleed, you will then need to resize the image (after saving it back into Acrobat) to the same dimensions you used when resizing the canvas in Photoshop.

It’s up to prepress departments to make their customers aware of the necessity of bleed. Inform your customers if they want their images or graphics to extend past the page edge then they must place these images at least 1/8 (.125)” past the trim line. If customers can't do this or won't do this then they need to know you may have to move and/or manipulate the image, or otherwise images placed right on the page edge may have an unintentional, ugly border around them.

Also, the blur tool and blur effect in Photoshop are your friends. ;)

Offline Joe

• Master of Nothing
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Warlord
    • B4Print.com
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2008, 08:30:54 PM »
Welcome to the forum Luke.
Mac OS 10.14.6 Mojave | Prinergy 8.2 | Adobe Creative Cloud 2019 | Two Luscher XPose 160 CTP units

Prepress: One who does precision guess work based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Offline frailer

• Sydney, OZ.
  • Global Moderator
  • Supreme Ninja
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2008, 11:29:32 PM »
Sometimes, ya get lucky... :grin:   Had an A3 poster and a DL flyer come in yesterday, no bleed. There were other probs too, but "fixable"...e.g.rich black butting to 100K in a panel. Was able to contact for a re-supply, and, lo and behold, when she got the DG to re-do it, it had bleed...as well as the other probs fixed. Had obviously just chosen the wrong Export profile...

Still makes you wanna slash your wrists, though. So often we're fixing stuff due to carelessness/ slap-dashery at the other end.     :angry:
Fujifilm XMF/AdobeCC/PitStop Pro/Black Magic/ScreenPlateRite_Fujifilm ZP processless. 28" Komoris  |  Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
Too old for this.. but.. there's that question of income. And lack of it if I stop.
~~~~~~

Offline frailer

• Sydney, OZ.
  • Global Moderator
  • Supreme Ninja
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2008, 07:34:01 AM »

Some advice...maybe it's just the file I used to test it...

Had a PDF where the Crop Box was the outside page margin, and the Trim, Bleed and Art boxes were all showing the true "trim" size.
Prolly not feeding the right data in up-front; but when I Run it, it shows "No Problem Fixed/Not required"...words to that effect. Can post a screenshot or two tomorrow when at work, if needed.
As I say, may be just the dud file that isn't amenable to the EAL.   Or I'm needing to input more info before kick-off.   Only lately getting into EALs. We tend not to get bulk multipage PDFs which need them. But then they work just as well on a single page...so should get into'em.   :embarrassed:      :undecided:

~~~~~~

Offline mattbeals

• Just a dude
    • Matt Beals
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2008, 02:24:35 PM »
Not sure if any of you are aware or not but PitStop Pro 08 now has a limited ability to automatically create bleeds as part of the preflight process.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

Offline Joe

• Master of Nothing
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Warlord
    • B4Print.com
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2008, 02:32:16 PM »
Thanks for that info. I'll be waiting to upgrade until it becomes Acrobat 9 compatible. My one question though is how does it accomplish this? Does the bleed actually have to have been pulled out in the originating application and Pitstop just uncovers it or is there some other miracle occurring here?
Mac OS 10.14.6 Mojave | Prinergy 8.2 | Adobe Creative Cloud 2019 | Two Luscher XPose 160 CTP units

Prepress: One who does precision guess work based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Offline PrepressCrapFixer

• Master PDF Mechanic
    • C-M Books (Cushing-Malloy, Inc.)
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2008, 02:37:15 PM »
Good question Joe.  I would be interested in knowing that too.
OSX 10.14.6 Mojave • Prinergy 8.3 • Adobe Creative Cloud 2020 • Kodak Trendsetter Q800

• Mighty Joe's Son
  • Supreme Ninja
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2008, 02:39:49 PM »
Before he says anything.... I believe it is a modified version of the action list presented earlier in this thread. It will not "magically" create bleed, anymore than Prepress is as easy as pushing a button!

Offline PrepressCrapFixer

• Master PDF Mechanic
    • C-M Books (Cushing-Malloy, Inc.)
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2008, 02:42:56 PM »
Sounds like all it does is add a bleed margin.
OSX 10.14.6 Mojave • Prinergy 8.3 • Adobe Creative Cloud 2020 • Kodak Trendsetter Q800

Offline ninjaPB_43

• Head Ninja In Corporate America (Tha HNICA)
  • Ninja Master
  • Irie Minded
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2008, 02:47:09 PM »
my guess would be that's why matt said "limited" ability..  just a guess.
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley