Our days numbered?

Started by jimking, May 19, 2008, 09:38:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edgar

Hello Abdul! Nice to meet you.

Think about a prepress hub... Presses are going out while digital printing is getting fresh air to print industry.

Hardware is changing, not the software. Keep seeking the way to prepare files to different media and you'll be happy for next 10 years. Just keep in mind what I tell you.

Packaging would be the last survivor in offset printing industry.

I'm working hard to keep ahead in this industry and keeping a good level of knowledge to get a good salary, but I heard a voice telling me that is a good idea to start a enchiladas and tacos restaurant. The food is a long-long-time industry, people will eat forever. Just kidding.

gnubler

Quote from: Abdulq60 on November 28, 2010, 06:39:38 PMWith the kind of work designers are dishing out, I don't think prepress will ever be eliminated.

This is true, and every company that eliminates or cuts down on prepress is paying the price somehow. The majority of my work time is spent fixing garbage (aka turd polishing)
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

gnubler

QuoteGraphic Designer (Albuquerque)
Date: 2010-10-28, 12:34PM MDT
Reply to: job-tm2n4-2030528482@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Graphic Designer/Web Designer/Photographer wanted to work on multiple projects with little supervision. You must be able to take creative direction and come up with dazzling results that will knock the socks off our clients.

You should be proficient with the full CS5, Dreamweaver included, and be able to hand-code HTML and CSS. HTML5 and CSS3 experience a plus. Actionscript proficiency a double plus.

Compensation is $12 per hour, or more if you are really super.

If you have these skills and are actually considering sending me a resume for a $12 an hour job, I would request that you take a very long walk off a very short pier, because it is people like you who are keeping wages low for obviously talented people - or companies wouldn't need them. They only offer $12 an hour because people like you are willing to work for that. KNOCK IT OFF! If you are that desperate, go get a certificate in Radiology or some shit. You are ruining the creative industry for the rest of us. Teachers and cops used to be underpaid until they stood up for themselves. It's time you did also.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: gnubler on November 29, 2010, 10:09:18 PM
QuoteGraphic Designer (Albuquerque)
Date: 2010-10-28, 12:34PM MDT
Reply to: job-tm2n4-2030528482@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Graphic Designer/Web Designer/Photographer wanted to work on multiple projects with little supervision. You must be able to take creative direction and come up with dazzling results that will knock the socks off our clients.

You should be proficient with the full CS5, Dreamweaver included, and be able to hand-code HTML and CSS. HTML5 and CSS3 experience a plus. Actionscript proficiency a double plus.

Compensation is $12 per hour, or more if you are really super.

If you have these skills and are actually considering sending me a resume for a $12 an hour job, I would request that you take a very long walk off a very short pier, because it is people like you who are keeping wages low for obviously talented people - or companies wouldn't need them. They only offer $12 an hour because people like you are willing to work for that. KNOCK IT OFF! If you are that desperate, go get a certificate in Radiology or some shit. You are ruining the creative industry for the rest of us. Teachers and cops used to be underpaid until they stood up for themselves. It's time you did also.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Member #285 - Civilian

gnubler

Yeah, I kinda don't get it.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: gnubler on November 29, 2010, 10:45:58 PMYeah, I kinda don't get it.

Haha, I thought you wrote it at first... then I realized it was directed at you specifically.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

'tis why the trade has went to Hell in a hand basket.

Gimme a D...
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on November 29, 2010, 10:58:53 PM
Quote from: gnubler on November 29, 2010, 10:45:58 PMYeah, I kinda don't get it.

Haha, I thought you wrote it at first... then I realized it was directed at you specifically.

Nope. It was a random find because I had a flash of an idea to find some part time side work. I saw that (and the other ads) and wanted to barf. A search for "prepress" resulted in nada.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: gnubler on November 29, 2010, 11:04:41 PM

Nope. It was a random find because I had a flash of an idea to find some part time side work. I saw that (and the other ads) and wanted to barf. A search for "prepress" resulted in nada.

I thought you were trying to stop doing computer work. Not that I blame you.
Member #285 - Civilian

gnubler

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on November 29, 2010, 11:10:58 PM
Quote from: gnubler on November 29, 2010, 11:04:41 PM

I thought you were trying to stop doing computer work. Not that I blame you.

I am. It was a *flash* idea, I saw the shit, and thought "nevermind". It's just been so dead at work I feel useless.

David

Quote from: Joe on November 29, 2010, 11:02:45 PM'tis why the trade has went to Hell in a hand basket.

Gimme a D...
D...

...OOMED!
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

gnubler

hotmetal

urk — wait, I heard the economy was doing just fine and we should all stop complaining

I should have started listening to Fox News a long time ago, I'd be a lot happier these days...
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." ...
Hunter S. Thompson