Recent

Author Topic: Upgrade to Nexus 8.6 and a Mac?  (Read 1939 times)

Offline Headache

Upgrade to Nexus 8.6 and a Mac?
« on: June 17, 2008, 10:28:10 AM »
We are wishing to upgrade to Nexus RIP 8.6.  Currently we are running Windoze 2000 Server and 8.4rev4.

Since we upgraded our mac workstations to Tiger we have been experiencing more and more frequent connectivity issues while dragging large file folders from the Nexus Edit folder to the Nexus Hotfolders.  This often results in the black screen of death on the mac.

I was thinking since we need to upgrade the RIP's OS to 2003 to run Nexus RIP 8.6, then why not switch to a Mac RIP at the same time.  This would also avoid the "long filename being rejected by Windows 2000" problem, and give us a backup RIP capable of running 8.4rev4.

Has anyone switched from a PC RIP to a Mac RIP that can let me know how it went?  Or if anyone running Nexus on a Mac can let me know what a nice configuration would be for a RIP, specifically;

xServer or MacPro?

OS?

Processor?

RAM?

Thanks.

Offline EmptyWords

Re: Upgrade to Nexus 8.6 and a Mac?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 01:11:16 PM »
We are running Nexus on a Mac Xserve, never had it running on the pc. As far as the config we went with a Quad Core Intel Xserve with 4 gigs of ram, 4 is the bare minimum that they recommend, I would actually like to put more in the box we have, but have been told it's not a priority for now. The OS is Mac OS X Server v 10.4

I would get as much ram as you can, the more you have the better off you are going to be and we have never had an issue with long file names since it's running on the Xserve and not a windows box.
Esko/Artwork Odystar 4.1.1   Nexus 10.1   Neo 10.1.4
ArtPro/PowerStepper/PowerLayout 16.1.1   Kodak Preps 8.3
Hyphen ImpoProof 8400S    Oris ColorTuner 3/Epson 7900   Old Sherpa 24M
Presstek   Agfa Avalon   Xerox iGens & Versant 180s

Offline Headache

Re: Upgrade to Nexus 8.6 and a Mac?
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 10:03:19 AM »
Thanks Empty!

We've talked to our Mac seller and I think we're leaning toward an 8 core with 32GB or RAM.  That's what we want, we see what we'll get. 

I'll post an update about how the transition goes.