Author Topic: A look back at 2008  (Read 7105 times)

Offline Laurens

• http://www.prepressure.com
A look back at 2008
« on: December 20, 2008, 04:51:57 AM »
For the history of prepress pages on my site I would like to shortly finish the '2008' page. It should cover major prepress trends, big events, interesting new products or technologies but I fail to come up with much. There was drupa, CS4/QXP 8, the current crisis and its impact on our industry and the 'green' hype but that seems to be about it. I cannot think of any really exciting new software or hardware releases. Did I overlook stuff?
Having fun writing about prepress & printing for my Prepressure site

Offline frailer

• Sydney, OZ.
  • Global Moderator
  • Supreme Ninja
  • Older, and digitally challenged
Re: A look back at 2008
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 07:18:25 AM »

The only thing that springs to mind, Laurens, is the uptake of APPE RIPs. Would you place this as a 2008 event? There seem to be quite a few Fujifilm customers here in Australia who have made the jump this year.
It would be a big step for us, and certainly hope to do it in '09. If we don't, I can see increasing problems for us in file rendering. What do you do when your PostScript workarounds just won't get the required result?
For me, that's what weighs on my mind; not so much the too-early CS4 arrival.     :undecided:

P.S. Shall Sticky this temporarily, so its profile stays up for a while.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 07:20:20 AM by frailer »
Fujifilm XMF/AdobeCC/PitStop Pro/Black Magic/ScreenPlateRite_Fujifilm ZP processless. 28" Komoris  |  Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Too old for this.. but.. there's that question of income. And lack of it if I stop.
~~~~~~

Offline Chelle

• Ninja Member
  • Boys will be toys.
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 09:38:11 AM »
Personally I'm dreading the arrival of any new job from a customer in Quack8. Ugh. So far I've seen nothing come in in CS4.
Due to lack of interest, today has been cancelled....

FACT OF LIFE: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says W T F

Offline ratintrap

• Ninja Member
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 01:28:06 PM »
Does Acrobat 9 qualify, or is that included under the umbrella of CS4?

-Rat

Offline DigitalCrapShoveler

• Mighty Joe's Son
  • Supreme Ninja
  • Let me know if you're a size 14.
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 06:51:43 PM »

Personally I'm dreading the arrival of any new job from a customer in Quack8. Ugh. So far I've seen nothing come in in CS4.

I am at my wits end with the level of customer service at my shop. It's bad enough we advertise openly to be State-of-the-art... but, insist on us "Operators" to inform customers their files will need to be re-uploaded/re-burned/re-delivered as .inx files because we don't have InDesign CS4.

It took me a solid year to get Quark 7. I begged and pleaded... every week like clockwork. That's like asking to have your first born son slaughtered in front of you... the things we do for Prepress. :laugh:

A monumental occurrence in Prepress last year beyond what was listed above? Hmmmm? I would have to say the destruction and utter obliteration of a lot of good, hard working print shops that were forced to close their doors because of the gas prices and shitty economy... worldwide! That's what I'll remember about 2008. :angry:
Bates  •  Vorhees  •  Meyers  •  Krueger  •  Hobbs  •  Lecter  •  Dollarhyde  •  Bateman  •  Gumb  •  Doe  •  Morgan •  Todd •  Kevin •  DCS •  Kasem

"Does it really matter? There's shit in the meat and we're all pink inside. Live a little..." The Gnub

"I look forward to the sweet release of death..." Dave, on behalf of all Prepress

Member #285 • OG PH8 • Award-Winning • Population Control Enthusiast • Master of Freehand Jobs • Hater of All • Prodigy of Addition & Subtraction

Offline Chelle

• Ninja Member
  • Boys will be toys.
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 09:20:31 PM »

I am at my wits end with the level of customer service at my shop. It's bad enough we advertise openly to be State-of-the-art... but, insist on us "Operators" to inform customers their files will need to be re-uploaded/re-burned/re-delivered as .inx files because we don't have InDesign CS4.

It took me a solid year to get Quark 7. I begged and pleaded... every week like clockwork. That's like asking to have your first born son slaughtered in front of you... the things we do for Prepress. :laugh:

We are lucky enough that (usually) as soon as we start to get customer files in the new version, we are upgraded. At least the 3 of us that do the majority of the prepress work.

I have no children to sacrifice. There are days I would give up my husband... :wink:
Due to lack of interest, today has been cancelled....

FACT OF LIFE: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says W T F

Offline frailer

• Sydney, OZ.
  • Global Moderator
  • Supreme Ninja
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 03:18:04 AM »

... but, insist on us "Operators" to inform customers their files will need to be re-uploaded/re-burned/re-delivered as .inx files because we don't have InDesign CS4.

I feel for you on that one, DCS. Dumb thing is, they don't cost-account the friggin' wasted time doing that, as well as pissing the customer off. But I'm not telling you anything.    :undecided:

But, begging for Quark 7.  That's a Kurt Vonnegut moment.    :laugh:   Black, but funny as hell...
Fujifilm XMF/AdobeCC/PitStop Pro/Black Magic/ScreenPlateRite_Fujifilm ZP processless. 28" Komoris  |  Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
Too old for this.. but.. there's that question of income. And lack of it if I stop.
~~~~~~

Offline Laurens

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 04:25:23 PM »

...Shall Sticky this temporarily, so its profile stays up for a while.

Thanks for making this a temporary sticky. I regard APPE itself as 'old news' since Adobe announced the technology in 2006 and vendors started shipping APPE-based products in 2007. What is different for 2008 is that version 1.1 and later seem to have matured quite a bit and that the technology is now indeed getting widely used. That however conflicts a bit with another 2008 trend: the year users finally got fed up with upgrading to the latest and greatest.

Offline frailer

• Sydney, OZ.
  • Global Moderator
  • Supreme Ninja
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 11:11:40 PM »

Fair point. We do tend to lag a bit down here. The uptake's only just started to bite here, it seems. CS4 may give it a shove, as well.
~~~~~~

Offline Tracy

• Ninja Master
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 10:46:51 AM »
The Quark 7 Debacle!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 10:47:25 AM by Tracy »

Offline tapdn

• Ninja Master
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 10:54:32 AM »
The state of the economy has been the biggest factor affecting our commercial work- customers willing to accept what I term sub standard quality for price.
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

Offline Laurens

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2009, 04:32:18 PM »
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I've updated the 2008 overview based on it.

Frailer, I think you can now 'unstickify' this thread (gotta love the way virtually any word can be turned into a verb in English. Dutch isn't that flexible!)