The deed is done

Started by Joe, April 11, 2009, 11:26:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Finally done with the prepress Mac upgrade extravaganza. We have officially layed to rest Mac OS 9 and QUARK!!! I finished up at 3:30 am this morning purging the last remaining copy of Quark 4 under classic. We still have some copies of Quark (OS X versions) for customers that just won't change but all of our designers are now using CS3 for all of their design work and I've removed OS 9 entirely from every machine in Prepress. I will NOT miss it or miss trying to fix supplied PDF's that our designers needed to place in Quark.

Tonight I will have a beer for every copy of Quark 4 that we don't use anymore. :iwin: :givebeer:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Marktonk

And how many colds ones will that be????
Mark Tonkovich
Heidelberg USA

Joe

Tracy

Nice Joe! I use quark less and less, we still have customers that use it tho.
The guy who used to work at my shop b4 me had all the tools for quark.
but I recently learned the scripts you can get for free for indesign are great tools!

Joe

Quote from: Tracy on April 11, 2009, 01:37:29 PMNice Joe! I use quark less and less, we still have customers that use it tho.
The guy who used to work at my shop b4 me had all the tools for quark.
but I recently learned the scripts you can get for free for indesign are great tools!

I've always been a big proponent of Adobe having some competition but have thrown in the towel thinking that it will be Quark.

Some of our designers did not leave Quark world willingly but after one week they are even saying good things about the way InDesign handles PDF's that are placed into it. With Quark they were always fighting a losing battle with PDF's.

Funny story btw, the designers have always had problems with Quark not being able to open it's own files with an "unexpected end of file encountered" error message. In the past they've just had to go back and redo everything. It happened to one of them last week and I said "try opening it on your new Mac with InDesign". Voila, InDesign opened a corrupted Quark 4 file that Quark 4 would not open! :laugh: I think that was the turning point that made them see the light. :evil:

gnubler

We should start a poll to guess how much longer Quark actually lives on. My guess is they sell out to Adobe within the next 2 years.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on April 11, 2009, 03:34:54 PMWe should start a poll to guess how much longer Quark actually lives on. My guess is they sell out to Adobe within the next 2 years.

Adobe buys competition that isn't already committing suicide so they probably don't need to buy them. Just let Quark finish itself off. :laugh:

gnubler

Perhaps the development and programming team at Quark are all moles from Adobe. I SMELL A CONSPIRACY!!!
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

I can hear the Adobe moles now, "yeah, we don't need any of that fancy-smancy transparency stuff and support for PDF's, it's all just a passing fad". :grin:

gnubler

Quote from: Joe on April 11, 2009, 03:52:12 PMI can hear the Adobe moles now, "yeah, we don't need any of that fancy-smancy transparency stuff and support for PDF's, it's all just a passing fad". :grin:

Yes, that and the inclusion of the ingenius "Save for Web" feature starting in v.6. It's a proven fact that nobody has actually ever used that because it just doesn't work. Knowing about web design I tried it once to see what it would do and it generated a bunch of garbage.  :laugh: :puke2: Not unlike MS Word's "Save as HTML" feature. Maybe MS will end up buying Quark.  :laugh:

Joe

There is a scary thought:

New & Improved: Quarklisher

:puke2:

gnubler

That, sir, is what nightmares are made of. OTOH, it's more prepress job security.

frailer

Sounds like a marathon, Joe.  Glad it's over for you.

Your guys, and my in-house ones now...            Can you hear them singing: "Do you know the way to San Jose...I gotta lot o' friends in San Jose"?

:band:                  :laugh:        :laugh:

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

dj

Quark started going downhill when Tom Gill, the developer and co-founder of Quark, left the company. Then the other guy, whose name I forget, made the brilliant move of off-shoring the development work on Quark to India. Now there's a right way to offshore and a wrong way to offshore and this guy apparently wrote the book on doing it the wrong way. So Quark lost control of the code base and there you go, bugarama with no hope of ever getting a handle on fixes.

frailer

LOL, this is a non-technical comment; but I remember seeing Tim Gill's pic on the front of a DTP mag here in the mid-90s, and thinking, "Damn that guy looks smug/self-satisfied".

And why wouldn't he have...     :laugh:

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.