YAY! I get to order stuff! OSX 10.5 time??

Started by Aaron, May 15, 2009, 07:08:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron

So is there really any benefit to upgrade my MAC to 10.5 right now?? We are running 10.4 now and it's smooth. Getting CS4 upgrades from CS3 as well. Does CS4 run better with 10.5 on Intel MAC's?
Prinergy 6.1, UpFront, Magnus Quantum 400 , Epson 9880, Insite 7.0, Sonora

"You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts." -- John Cleese, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

gnubler

I'm still running 10.4.11. No plans to upgrade until I buy my next Mac. No reason to. If it ain't broke...
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Aaron

True. Just wondering if CS4 runs faster since I have dual processors in my G5. And I heard Leopard runs faster with Dual processor G5's. Just wondering if anyone out there agrees.

"You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts." -- John Cleese, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

tapdn

Most of our people are still running 10.4 on dual G5s, but we did have to up the memory for CS4.
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

Aaron

What did you up it to? I've got 4GB (2GB per processor)

tapdn

usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

Joe

I've been using 10.5 since the day it came out. I don't have my old G5 anymore but it had 10.4.x on it and then I installed 10.5.x and to be honest I couldn't tell a difference in speed. But 10.4.x is about to go the way of Panther as Snow Leopard is rumored to be close to being released and most vendors don't like supporting more than a couple of OS versions. As an example Nexus cut off any support for Panther quite some time ago and once the next Apple OS comes out you will see vendors stop supporting OS 10.4.x but that will be a while before that happens. Plus if you use classic at all don't get Leopard because there is no classic in Leopard at all.

My bottom line is if you are using G5's stick with Tiger unless you have a specific need for something in Leopard that Tiger does not have. As you upgrade hardware you will be automatically upgrading to Apple's latest OS.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Aaron

But I can't do Classic anyway since I have an Intel G5. Why would you recommend 10.4 if I'm on a G5? What do you have Joe?

Joe

A G5 is a PPC. No such thing as an Intel G5. If it is indeed an Intel processor then you are correct, there is no classic.

The G5 (PPC Processor) is a dead hardware platform. I just would not spend the $129 for Leopard for it. The Intel processor Macs are a different story as supposedly Leopard is optimized for the Intel chips whereas Tiger was not. But on my first generation Intel iMac I don't really see a difference in speed. Maybe you would with a stop watch but it's a small difference if any at all. I just like Leopard better than Tiger.

Aaron

Really? Crap and I always thought what I had was a G5 Intel. So what are the intel boxes called?

Joe

Apple just calls them iMac, Power Mac, etc...but I stick Intel on the front when I reference them. The G5 was the last in the line of the PPC processor.

David

mine is called Shirley...

or my Intel mac

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Aaron

Joe

David

hmmm,
my shirley don't look like that...

I like yours better!
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca