Recent

Author Topic: postscrip error: ioerror on Konica Minolta C550  (Read 14487 times)

Offline maureen99

postscrip error: ioerror on Konica Minolta C550
« on: July 07, 2009, 04:59:22 PM »
Hello,

I'm new to this forum and am still searching for an answer but I hope someone can shed some light here or direct me to a good info source.

We are using a Pages on a mac pro OSX (10.5)and are printing a 20 meg color 8/12x11 brochure to a KM c550 and getting the following results:

Takes up to 5 minutes to print one brochure
Have inconsistently received the following error on a partially printed brochure:

ERROR: ioerror
OFFENDING COMMAND: image
STACK:

There are 2 different drivers installed.  One driver will not print the brochure double sided but instead prints it on two pages even when the settings are chosen for 2 sided printing.

No errors are seen on the macintosh.

I guess what I'm looking for is, would this point to a driver issue, a printer issue or a little of both?

Thanks for any help at all!!

Maureen

Offline DigitalCrapShoveler

• Mighty Joe's Son
  • Supreme Ninja
  • Let me know if you're a size 14.
Re: postscrip error: ioerror on Konica Minolta C550
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 05:07:17 PM »
Before ultimately labeling this problem a Driver Issue... I would look at the images in the file to make sure they are Kosher. "Image" PS errors usually point to this. The I/O error comes from the fact that your PDF interpreter is reading information past what it should in an image. Both of these errors can and often do point to Printer Drivers, but checking the images first could eliminate wasted time trying to track drivers down, especially if they are not needed.
Bates  •  Vorhees  •  Meyers  •  Krueger  •  Hobbs  •  Lecter  •  Dollarhyde  •  Bateman  •  Gumb  •  Doe  •  Morgan •  Todd •  Kevin •  DCS •  Kasem

"Does it really matter? There's shit in the meat and we're all pink inside. Live a little..." The Gnub

"I look forward to the sweet release of death..." Dave, on behalf of all Prepress

Member #285 • OG PH8 • Award-Winning • Population Control Enthusiast • Master of Freehand Jobs • Hater of All • Prodigy of Addition & Subtraction

Offline Laurens

• http://www.prepressure.com
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 05:37:03 PM »
ioerrors usually point to
-corrupted images
-communication problems (typically protocol issues because of bad driver settings a few years ago, I have no idea if this is still important)
-hardware issues with the printer (eg a bad drive,...)

The fact that you state that the problem is intermittent makes it difficult to point to one specific possible cause.
- It most likely rules out file corruption. Just to be sure, try opening all the images used in your file in Photoshop and check them visually. If they open and look fine, move on.
- If other jobs print file, it is also unlikely that the printer hardware has an intermittent hardware problem. If you chop your print job in smaller partial jobs, does that get around the issue?
- Driver settings: I have no idea which OS X setting make a difference - let's see if others have any ideas about this.

I try to make my Prepressure site the best resource for troubleshooting PostScript errors but the page on ioerrors does need some work.

Having fun writing about prepress & printing for my Prepressure site

Offline delooch

• Ninja Member
  • "EL BANDITO"
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 05:57:54 PM »
we have a KMc351 -occasionally get the same issue.
usually its a corrupt image or placed eps.. its the PS driver thats giving this error.. im sure your PCL driver is processing it, cant tell you why the duplexing function is working though. Make sure you check your accessories tab in the driver and the correct add-ons are installed
id start by checking those images.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 06:01:25 PM by delooch »
Nothing fucking matters so do what you want and be happy.

Offline Joe

• Master of Nothing
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Warlord
    • B4Print.com
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 08:06:21 PM »
What is the application that you are printing from? Quark, InDesign, Acrobat?
Mac OS 10.14.6 Mojave | Prinergy 8.2 | Adobe Creative Cloud 2019 | Two Luscher XPose 160 CTP units

Prepress: One who does precision guess work based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Offline maureen99

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 10:04:34 AM »
We're using pages from iwork '08. 

"The I/O error comes from the fact that your PDF interpreter is reading information past what it should in an image."
Can you tell me if the PDF interpreter is part of the printer driver or does any part of the printer interpret the image?

Laurens:  I found this forum by reading the information in those links.  The information on your site is some of the best and most helpful I've found so far and I thank you very much!  It seems hard to find info that doesn't get into the developer code-speak I don't understand.

Another question:
Could image corruption also be the cause of the slowness?

Thanks again,

maureen

Offline DigitalCrapShoveler

• Mighty Joe's Son
  • Supreme Ninja
  • Let me know if you're a size 14.
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 10:07:25 AM »
No, not the Printer Driver that interprets the image, but the printers RIP itself. And yes, corruption of data can cause extreme slowness. Depends on the corruption and depends on the printer.
Bates  •  Vorhees  •  Meyers  •  Krueger  •  Hobbs  •  Lecter  •  Dollarhyde  •  Bateman  •  Gumb  •  Doe  •  Morgan •  Todd •  Kevin •  DCS •  Kasem

"Does it really matter? There's shit in the meat and we're all pink inside. Live a little..." The Gnub

"I look forward to the sweet release of death..." Dave, on behalf of all Prepress

Member #285 • OG PH8 • Award-Winning • Population Control Enthusiast • Master of Freehand Jobs • Hater of All • Prodigy of Addition & Subtraction

Offline Joe

• Master of Nothing
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Warlord
    • B4Print.com
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 10:27:05 AM »

We're using pages from iwork '08. 

"The I/O error comes from the fact that your PDF interpreter is reading information past what it should in an image."
Can you tell me if the PDF interpreter is part of the printer driver or does any part of the printer interpret the image?

Laurens:  I found this forum by reading the information in those links.  The information on your site is some of the best and most helpful I've found so far and I thank you very much!  It seems hard to find info that doesn't get into the developer code-speak I don't understand.

Another question:
Could image corruption also be the cause of the slowness?

Thanks again,

maureen

The images weren't from a digital camera were they that might be in the neighborhood of 30" x 40" @ 72 dpi. I've seen those drag a RIP (printer) to it's knees as it has to resample these down in the RIP. I would recommend to open all images in Photoshop and resize to 300 dpi with resampling turned off. They will come down to a more normal size with no degradation of quality. Also my rule of thumb is if you have to reduce them more than 75% when you place them into the page you should reduce them in Photoshop (with resampling turned on) instead. And do yourself a favor and do Save As when you save them from Photoshop and save them as tiffs instead of jpegs and leave LZW compression off. Hard drive space is cheap.
Mac OS 10.14.6 Mojave | Prinergy 8.2 | Adobe Creative Cloud 2019 | Two Luscher XPose 160 CTP units

Prepress: One who does precision guess work based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Offline Tracy

• Ninja Master
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 11:59:25 AM »
I have only worked on 1 file with the customer using this Pages Program
It was quite difficult, I dont think it creates a good pdf, you may need to create postscript and distill and then layout.