xx
Still alive!
by motormount
May 12, 2018, 12:49:13 PM

xx
VDP Brainfart
by Slappy
May 10, 2018, 10:37:27 PM

Topic: Kodak approval not showing up as appletalk printer (Read 11656 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Kodak approval not showing up as appletalk printer

Reply #30

Okay G_Town. What OS is this beast running? Win 2000 server? Win 2003 server? Win 2008 server? And can all of your other computers see other Appletalk devices like laser printers and Nexus printers etc...? And can you see Appletalk file shares from this Windows server?

Win 2000 Server, yep everything else works fine no other issues with any other AFP device, just mounted my mac from it.

Reply #31

okay, 'nother stupid question...

what are you printing to the Approval?
PDFs or tiff files?

Do you have to have the Host software installed to print to the Approval?

The reason I ask, we use Esko RIPs for our Approvals and we had to install the Host Software for our RIP to "see" the Approval.

And we send a special composite 1-bit tiff to ours.

They open it in the native app, illy PS etc.. and just do a straight print to the rip.

I'll check to see if there's any software needed. I gotta believe it's something with the rip since it was working before the virus removal, maybe a port needs to be opened, hell I don't know this is what I get for sticking my nose in another dept. :tongue:

I'll check

Reply #32

Okay G_Town. What OS is this beast running? Win 2000 server? Win 2003 server? Win 2008 server? And can all of your other computers see other Appletalk devices like laser printers and Nexus printers etc...? And can you see Appletalk file shares from this Windows server?

Win 2000 Server, yep everything else works fine no other issues with any other AFP device, just mounted my mac from it.

OK, I think it's safe then to say it's not the Macs, not the network, and not the Windows OS. That leaves the RIP. I have to believe either there is a setting not set or it could be file corruption during the IT search & destroy mission. For some reason the RIP is NOT broadcasting the Appletalk printers to the network. Focus on the RIP.
Mac OS 10.12 Sierra | Prinergy 7.5 | Adobe Creative Cloud 2017 | Two Luscher XPose 160 CTP units

Prepress: One who does precision guess work based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Reply #33
Yes sir! :soldier:

and thanks for validating my suspicions :grin:

Reply #34
pay attention, there will be a quiz at the end of the meeting...

:ninja:
Prepress guy - doin' jobs one at a time

Reply #35
OK is it possible that the anti virus/spyware norton thingy could be f'ing up the rip?

Reply #36
that would be a 10-4, good buddy.

Reply #37

that would be a 10-4, good buddy.

Agreed. Most likely the culprit.
Mac OS 10.12 Sierra | Prinergy 7.5 | Adobe Creative Cloud 2017 | Two Luscher XPose 160 CTP units

Prepress: One who does precision guess work based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Reply #38
yeah, you could be trying to infect the RIP with who knows what and it will cause the whole world to be...

DOOMED!

:ninja:

Reply #39
----->

:undecided:

Reply #40
Ok I think it's appletalk I can only mount the PC using SMB if I try to use appletalk it doesn't see the pooter.

Tried stopping the service and turning back on, no luck.

Reply #41
Open Services on the PC and stop the File Sharing for Macintosh service. Then go into your Network properties and uninstall the Appletalk protocol. Reboot, then reinstall. Then probably have to reboot again. Check again.

Reply #42

Open Services on the PC and stop the File Sharing for Macintosh service. Then go into your Network properties and uninstall the Appletalk protocol. Reboot, then reinstall. Then probably have to reboot again. Check again.

Cool Joe I'll give it a whirl.

Reply #43
There is no File Sharing for Macintosh service. So I uninstalled the appletalk protocol rebooted and reinstalled and rebooted.

Nada

I noticed in the services there's a log and appletalk keeps coming up no default adapter has been configured so appletalk was not initialized blaa blaa.

So it's appletalk that's the culprit. If get properties on appletalk it says its using the same adapter as TCP/IP and everything checks out ok.

Possibly an exorcism is in order. :undecided:

Reply #44
Here's exactly what it's doing but thsi maching already has service pack 4 on it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289733