News:

Main Menu

JollysFastVNC

Started by Nick Burns, September 02, 2009, 01:19:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Burns

As you may or may not know, Apple has included VNC in Leopard, but they monkeyed with the format a little, so most of the VNC mac client apps won't connect (their way of saying buy ARD). Being the tightwad that I am, I found this guy's new version and it rocks, it works with Leopard's VNC, and is WAY faster than all of the others, and it can scale bigger remote monitor to smaller local monitor size, check it out (it's free)...

http://www.jinx.de/JollysFastVNC.html

Oh by the way, YOU'RE WELCOME!

Nick Burns

Bump.

Get your Jollys quick. This thread won't stay visible long. This isn't your weird uncle's VNC. It is vastly superior.

Joe

Okay, got it.

BTW, the Netgear NAS sucked and I had to return two of them before finally giving up completely on it.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

got mine as well, thanks Nick!
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Nick Burns

Quote from: Joe on September 02, 2009, 04:43:30 PMOkay, got it.

BTW, the Netgear NAS sucked and I had to return two of them before finally giving up completely on it.

Sorry to hear that, could you elaborate on "sucked"? Did you buy them from eAegis? Our entire prepress and art departments have been running off the same one for 4 years with excellent results. I've only had to call tech support once (which I dreaded) and they were actually excellent and had me back up in minutes. I just transitioned our publishing company off of a screaming fast Windows server to one and while I was hammering it with a 300Gb upload I asked them how their speed was working off of it and they said it was much faster than what they were working off before. They didn't even know I was pegging it. Jumping the gun here before your answer but I am guessing it was a firmware problem, I closely monitor their users forum before I put any new versions on because some of them suck mightily.

Joe

No it was not eAegis because their online ordering system was would not work and they never answered their phone. I ordered it from a different company, still the exact same hardware, the NAS with six 1.5 TB Seagate drives. When I got it and plugged it in everything seemed fine but it started reporting disk errors within 24 hours on not one but eventually all of the drives. I returned it and they sent me another one. Exact same thing started within 24 hours. Returned and gave up. I was happy enough with their support. They were helpful and tried to help but in the end it was a hardware problem of some kind.

Nick Burns

Bummer. I wish I'd been around to help. The disk errors were due to firmware problem with that particular Seagate drive. That is why I specified to get these from eAegis. Lots of people sell the gear but few know what they're doing. Had you bought them from them, you would have had none of these problems. They stay on top of the drive models, upgrade the proper hard drive firmware, and do a burn in before they ship. They only sell what works. Other integrators just slap whatever in there and leave you to it. You are not alone with the problem you encountered and this is a well known issue with the drives they sold you with your NAS. The equipment rocks, your reseller is responsible for this incompetence and SUCKS!

Nick Burns

I hate that this happened Joe, I don't like people getting burned, especially when I am the one recommending the gear. I just want you to know it was the reseller and the hard drives, not the ReadyNAS.

Joe

Quote from: Nick Burns on September 04, 2009, 04:40:47 PMI hate that this happened Joe, I don't like people getting burned, especially when I am the one recommending the gear. I just want you to know it was the reseller and the hard drives, not the ReadyNAS.

Water under the bridge now. I tried ordering from the eAegis web site several times. They had no links to allow you to order anything on their entire site so I tried calling them for a full week. All I ever got was an answering machine and I left several voice messages and they never returned any of them. Was less than impressed with them from the get go. I guess they didn't need the business.

The place I got them from did the setup and the burn in too. When I started getting the errors I checked the firmware and it had the latest firmware from Netgear. I also wiped the thing out and reinstalled the OS and configured the drives myself. Same thing. Reported disk errors within 24 hours on all 6 disk drives. Returned the unit for a different one. Same thing within 24 hours. I can't blame the place I got them from as the firmware was up to date and they sent me two of the units. I don't blame you either. I blame Netgear. Even if eAegis has some magic formula to make them work it still falls back on Netgear to make it right for everyone.

I ran out of time with the Prinergy install looming and I had to go a different route. (Existing Windows 2003 server with SATA RAID 5)

Nick Burns

You misunderstand me. It has nothing to do with the firmware for the Netgear box. It is the firmware on the Seagate hard drives that caused your data to corrupt. Had the reseller been on their toes they would have loaded the version that fixed these problems on the Seagate drives.

In other words, you would have had data corruption problems with these hard drives regardless of what brand of equipment you installed them on. Had you put them in the expensive servers your prepress vendor wanted to sell you, you would have had the exact same issue.

It is the drives, not the Netgear shells that were bad.

Nick Burns

p.s. The stars and moon were not aligned in your favor, they must have had some issues during that timeframe, because I have always been over the years able to order them online, speak with them on the phone, and have had them custom configure them for me through email correspondence...

You can click any of these buy links and see it will take you straight to the cart... http://www.eaegis.com/netgearreadynasprobusiness.aspx

You probably shouldn't click the above link because I guarantee you they are WAY cheaper here than what you paid for them (and they actually work).

I pride myself on finding the best equipment and prices on the planet and it sucks to know that your deal went down this way.

Joe

That's about the same price I paid for it. I actually payed a little less than the eAegis price. And at the time there were not links enabling me to be able to add anything to the shopping cart. I tried many times. I can't figure why they would not answer their phones though. I finally gave up and figured they had went out of business, bankruptcy or whatever. I'll take your word for it eAegis is a great company but the last two weeks of June they sucked! Also the Seagate drives that the other place were using were the exact same drives offered up by eAegis.

And I haven't actually done or bought anything else yet. We have two existing Win 2003 Server boxes we're planning to use as the Prinergy RAID and backup RAID. We haven't bought the drives yet though because I've been too busy with training for the last two months but we have to soon because the existing 250 gb drive we're using is getting full.

Nick Burns

It's a shame you're soured on these puppies, I love them. They've got a 12Tb model now for $2795. Plus they're the only RAID that is expandable as the drives get bigger.

If you're gonna be running internal raid on the servers, you can do a lot cheaper for sure. Faster too.