by scottrsimons
January 09, 2019, 02:51:42 PM

xx
Prepress/Sheetfed for Dummies
by born2print
January 09, 2019, 02:35:47 PM

Topic: Using XPS in prepress (Read 10077 times) previous topic - next topic

Using XPS in prepress

XPS, in case you forgot, is the Microsoft alternative to PDF. Recently I have noticed a sharp increase in the popularity of my web page on the XPS file format. Maybe Google happens to like that page but it might also have to do with the success of Windows 7. In prepress, I have yet to encounter my first XPS file or meet someone who actually uses XPS instead of (or next to) PDF. There is now a poll on prepressure.com to ask visitors if they use XPS. Is there anyone here who actually gets XPS files? Any war stories to share?

Re: Using XPS in prepress

Reply #1
Eoin Stewart of Xpedx/Microsoft had a thread on LinkedIn about XPS in prepress a while ago. It's real, it's viable. I don't think there are any editors for it right now. But editors aside, it shouldn't be a problem to RIP them if you are a Harlequin user.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

Reply #2
I'm actually surprised I haven't gotten some. Microsoft includes the XPS printer with Windows. It's also an option in Publisher to export XPS. Now that you mention it, I think I'll make one and send it through Prinergy and see what happens.
Mac OS 10.12 Sierra | Prinergy 7.5 | Adobe Creative Cloud 2017 | Two Luscher XPose 160 CTP units

Prepress: One who does precision guess work based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Reply #3

I'm actually surprised I haven't gotten some. Microsoft includes the XPS printer with Windows. It's also an option in Publisher to export XPS. Now that you mention it, I think I'll make one and send it through Prinergy and see what happens.

:shocked:

And here I was worried about the large hadron collider.
:waits for planet to implode:

Reply #4
need to get more foil for my hat...

Prepress guy - doin' jobs one at a time

Reply #6
They need to add "XPS to trashcan converter" to their lineup.
Esko Automation Engine 16.0.2
ArtPro+ 16.0.2 - Neo 2.1.3
Javelin Imagesetter
Epson Stylus Pro 7900
ImpoProofer

Reply #7
Nice solution if needed (hopefully not).

Not to thread jack, but I had a .xcf passed to me yesterday and thought to myself -  WTFIT? He responded :

"I'm currently using GIMP (the GNU Image Manipulation Program) that saves files in .xcf format. Does that work for you?". NO and then received a PSD file that was sctill crap but they approved it. Anyone seen a XCF before?

Dave - pass the tin foil. I will play with Windows 7 some more and explore options just for the fun of it.  :sarcasm:

Reply #8
Think I'll boot up the faptop and output one of those fangled XPS and see how much EVO hates it. Knowing Kodak it's a 8k option to make it work.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

It's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Reply #9

That reminds me of the old joke that went something like; What the last thing a redneck says before he dies? "Hey ya'll watch diss"

:huh:

Reply #10

That reminds me of the old joke that went something like; What the last thing a redneck says before he dies? "Hey ya'll watch diss"

:huh:

Hmmmm ... that's the last thing DCS said to me!  :undecided:

Reply #12
I have fortunately not run across this in the production environment.  However our PC tech guy here at work shows me Windows 7 a few months before release and how they have a new type of file like a pdf.  He starts sending out memos using xps format and of course no one can open them because the rest of the company has either a Mac or is running Windows XP.

Reply #13

I have fortunately not run across this in the production environment.  However our PC tech guy here at work shows me Windows 7 a few months before release and how they have a new type of file like a pdf.  He starts sending out memos using xps format and of course no one can open them because the rest of the company has either a Mac or is running Windows XP.

typical IT guy mentality
Prepress guy - doin' jobs one at a time

Reply #14

It's also an option in Publisher to export XPS.

I would imagine that most if not all people using Publisher have no idea what XPS is.

As near as I can tell, people using Publisher have no idea that they can create a PDF either.
Esko Automation Engine 16.0.2
ArtPro+ 16.0.2 - Neo 2.1.3
Javelin Imagesetter
Epson Stylus Pro 7900
ImpoProofer