Adobe updater causing bad serial numbers in ALL adobe software

Started by adamb, March 10, 2010, 03:13:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adamb

I had a major problem a few months back in which my InD CS, PS CS, Illy CS, Acrobat 6 all lost track of their serial numbers after I updated my Adobe updater which also wanted to update Acrobat 8.
After searching and trying causes, solutions and coming up empty I reinstalled all my software and once again updated the Adobe updater which once again caused the problem!! AND of course of found the problem!!
That is when I called Adobe to which they informed me that they had several calls on this issue and were working on a fix.
Now I am stuck in a world of fear of Adobe updates!
Anyone else have this problem?
Or have any solutions?

Farabomb

Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

born2print

:rolleyes:  :tongue:
I usually hit cancel on those updates, I guess this is a fine example of why. Bummer adamb.
Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...

Joe

Quote from: adamb on March 10, 2010, 03:13:50 PMI had a major problem a few months back in which my InD CS, PS CS, Illy CS, Acrobat 6 all lost track of their serial numbers after I updated my Adobe updater which also wanted to update Acrobat 8.
After searching and trying causes, solutions and coming up empty I reinstalled all my software and once again updated the Adobe updater which once again caused the problem!! AND of course of found the problem!!
That is when I called Adobe to which they informed me that they had several calls on this issue and were working on a fix.
Or have any solutions?

I think frailer had something similar to this with CS3. I'm sure he'll have some input when he gets a chance.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

beermonster

someone needs to kill fara lol - he just said the words that should never be spoken :puke2:

you'll get a flat tyre for that fara - the prepress gods are not happy :evil:
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

frailer

You've just confirmed something, I think. I was suspicious that a co-worker installing Acrobat 8 on his Mac was the cause of the  woes, but never had confirmation. Not only was it (Acrobat 8) useless, it was actually dangerous.  :rolleyes:   He started having crash issues with CS3 stuff. After many attempts to rectify it, I gave up.
Re-installed CS3, CS4, but he can now only use CS4, which doesn't bother him.
Basically, I downloaded Licence Repair Tool, from Adobe site, as I recall. After trawling various forums, it seemed people either lucked in or out. Some came good after a run of the Tool. Others seemed to be on the re-install trail. No rhyme or reason. You could give the tool a shot.
Basically, Adobe use a 3rd party security Co., Flexnet, to provide them with network policing software. When it goes wonky, your legit-use software crashes. I think that's what you and I experienced. GRRR...

You can try it if you want. Good luck.  Repair Tool

I suspect that if you can avoid 8, do so. I uninstalled ours with AppCleaner, but the 'infection' remains.   :rolleyes:

This link may help too.   Repair Procedure
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Farabomb

'Twas a slow day mate, spent most of it poking people with sticks. You know I would never wish the hell of Quack on anyone.

It did bite me in the arse. End of the day I got a PDF from Quack with transparencies and other issues. Had a calendar from them last year, major issues, told them what to do and surprise, they ignored me and did the same shit this time. Don't mess with the prepress gods.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

Quote from: adamb on March 10, 2010, 03:13:50 PMI had a major problem a few months back in which my InD CS, PS CS, Illy CS, Acrobat 6 all lost track of their serial numbers after I updated my Adobe updater which also wanted to update Acrobat 8.
Or have any solutions?
Had that problem too. I worried. I rebooted, it just went away. And I was happy again.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway