Favorite PDF editing tools

Started by Laurens, June 11, 2010, 02:30:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laurens

A recent poll here about using Illustrator to edit PDF files inspired me to put up a poll about everyone's favorite PDF editing tools. Even though nobody recommends it, editing PDFs seems to happen quite a lot. My page on how to edit PDF files is the second most popular page on the site with around 1000 daily page views!

The poll will probably be a home run for Adobe Acrobat. I am curious though how many also vote for other tools - or indeed use Adobe Illustrator. Please cast your vote(s) and use this thread to share your PDF-editing wisdom and/or nightmare stories.
Having fun writing about prepress & printing for my Prepressure site

mattbeals

You neglected to add Callas pdfToolbox to the list.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

gnubler

Unfortunately, not all of us have the privilege of having Pitstop even though it should be a bundled requirement for any business buying Acrobat Pro, especially in prepress. I use the tools available in Acrobat Pro 9 and if that doesn't work for me then opening in Illustrator is my next option. If it can't be edited with either of those two it gets kicked back to the customer.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Laurens

Quote from: mattbeals on June 11, 2010, 08:09:36 PMYou neglected to add Callas pdfToolbox to the list.

Added - thanks for pointing it out. It is odd that I forgot pdfToolbox even though I meet some of the Callas people from time to time. Real PDF gurus!
Having fun writing about prepress & printing for my Prepressure site

beermonster

what's a guru? :undecided:

i have oris pdf tuner - which saved me some headaches when we got it - sadly now dropped by CGS. when i say sadly what i mean is it's simply outdated now, and the GUI is mental - it saved us some issues early on so paid for itself

i dont have pitstop either so its acrobat all the way - illy if need be too
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

G_Town

Quote from: beermonster on June 14, 2010, 01:15:50 AMwhat's a guru? :undecided:

i have oris pdf tuner - which saved me some headaches when we got it - sadly now dropped by CGS. when i say sadly what i mean is it's simply outdated now, and the GUI is mental - it saved us some issues early on so paid for itself

i dont have pitstop either so its acrobat all the way - illy if need be too

guru=pompous ass

Typically someone will call themselves a guru, they should be shot on site.

gnubler

Quote from: G_Town on June 14, 2010, 08:33:25 AMguru=pompous ass

Typically someone will call themselves a guru, they should be shot on site.

Agreed. Let's get to work.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DigiCorn

I thught all of us smart enough to join this forum would be considered prepress gurus. I guess I thought wrong :-(
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

youston

Quote from: digital@sig-1.com on June 14, 2010, 09:44:57 AMI thught all of us smart enough to join this forum would be considered prepress gurus. I guess I thought wrong :-(

Perhaps, but 'guru' is a title to be bestowed UPON one BY OTHERS (who are then laughed at and mocked by still others). To give oneself the title is just wankery.

gnubler

Quote from: digital@sig-1.com on June 14, 2010, 09:44:57 AMI thught all of us smart enough to join this forum would be considered prepress gurus. I guess I thought wrong :-(
j

You thught'd wrong.

almaink

One thing I use but not listed is InDesign. New text can be added right on top of old copy, then the old stuff deleted in Acrobat, or images can be added. Resizing is also easier in Indy. The only issue I've ever seen doing this is PDF's generated by CS3-5 and placed into an Indy CS2 or earlier file can result in colors lost or dropped or the PDF may fail to export.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

beermonster

I think Youston is......wankery

youston

Quote from: beermonster on June 15, 2010, 03:54:04 AMI think Youston is......wankery

Oh now, come on beer! I've never been a sinner ... never sinned ...  :evil:

gnubler

Quote from: youston on June 15, 2010, 06:11:07 AMOh now, come on beer! I've never been a sinner ... never sinned ...  :evil:

That's because you're just a babe. Wait until you turn 13...you have a lot of growing up to do yet.

beermonster