by swampymarsh
September 18, 2018, 03:32:12 AM

xx
Indesign Spontaneous Swatch Change
by born2print
September 13, 2018, 05:52:20 PM

Topic: Asking for fonts (Read 11194 times) previous topic - next topic

Asking for fonts

I need to ask everyone NOT to create posts asking if others have a certain font or even asking in existing threads. While I know it can be very convenient it is also illegal and I don't need the font police showing up at the B4Print doorstep.
Mac OS 10.12 Sierra | Prinergy 7.5 | Adobe Creative Cloud 2017 | Two Luscher XPose 160 CTP units

Prepress: One who does precision guess work based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Re: Asking for fonts

Reply #1
Oooooh, Some people are in trouble.
Is it some kind of fine or a brief stint in the House of Many Doors?
Has anyone ever really gotten in trouble for this type of of thing?   Just wondering.
Son you better watch your back when a poor man gets the blues.

Reply #2
Well, not much wondering to do.   b4p is a public forum.   Given a stationary target, I'm sure there are a few of the bigger foundries with the motivation to pursue it if they saw the right opportunity.
Fill in the missing episodes, with ad breaks, yourself.
Fujifilm XMF/AdobeCC/PitStop Pro/Black Magic/ScreenPlateRite_Fujifilm ZP processless. 28" Komoris  |  Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Too old for this.. but.. there's that question of income. And lack of it if I stop.
~~~~~~

Reply #3
Seriously though, is their a fine if a person gets busted.
I don't know anyone who has ever been busted for this kind of thing or pirated apps.
Son you better watch your back when a poor man gets the blues.

Reply #4
yep, they were in Dallas a few years back and busted a few printers for illegal fonts and software.
I personally was stunned, believing it (the font police) to be an urban legend.
Prepress guy - doin' jobs one at a time

Reply #5
Yeah, I knew better.

My bad.
"I'm not addicted to cocaine. I just like the way it smells."
– Richard Pryor

“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Reply #6
10 lashes with a wet noodle!

arrrrrrg!
Prepress guy - doin' jobs one at a time

Reply #7
Next time I'll just PM everyone and ask individually  :evil:
– Richard Pryor

“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Reply #9
Sorries.... :sad:
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

Reply #10

It was a few years back but I remember software companies make a major offensive.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/124377/us_companies_fined_for_using_illegal_software.html

Way back at an ad agency I worked for a disgruntled fired employee ratted us out to someone about installing multiple versions of Illustrator, PhotoShop, etc with only a single license. Some auditors came out and had us install a piece of software and then print out what we had installed and a list of serial numbers. Essentially, we only did it on his computer so he could preview layouts. It was OS7 or 8 at the time, and we were constantly annoyed by the license issue because when he had it open, we couldn't open ours because of the popup ('this application is already installed and running on another computer on the network'). We were happy to remove the install, and the auditors didn't make a big deal out of it; I don't even think we were fined.

Around the same time, my roommate took our cable box to someone who put a chip in it that got use free movies channels and pay-per-view. Right before a Tyson fight, the cable company sent out a bullet, but the bullet destroyed good boxes as well as illegal ones. They ended up visiting each customer and replaced their set top box. Later I got served with papers in a lawsuit by the cable co. for having unlawfully altering my box. I could pay them $2,500 and they'd drop the charges or face them in court and maybe have to pay up to $25,000. I chose to ignore it, and nothing ever came of it. Never showed up on my credit report. Never appeared as a judgement against me. Never got a notice to appear.

I think they immediately filed documents, so they could pursue later... but then they caught so many people, and had so much paperwork, they just gave up. Either that or they sold out to another cable co., who did nothing with the suit.
– Richard Pryor

― Ernest Hemingway

Reply #11

I need to ask everyone NOT to create posts asking if others have a certain font or even asking in existing threads. While I know it can be very convenient it is also illegal and I don't need the font police showing up at the B4Print doorstep.

Guilty here. No problem Joe.
Bates  •  Vorhees  •  Meyers  •  Krueger  •  Hobbs  •  Lecter  •  Dollarhyde  •  Bateman  •  Gumb  •  Doe  •  Morgan •  Todd •  Kevin •  DCS •  Kasem

"Does it really matter? There's shit in the meat and we're all pink inside. Live a little..." The Gnub

"I look forward to the sweet release of death..." Dave, on behalf of all Prepress

Member #285 • OG PH8 • Award-Winning • Population Control Enthusiast • Master of Freehand Jobs • Hater of All • Prodigy of Addition & Subtraction

Reply #12

Guilty here.

FONT THIEF!! BURN HIM!!

Reply #13
Yeah, well I've given a lot more than I've got, so burn me from both ends.
Bates  •  Vorhees  •  Meyers  •  Krueger  •  Hobbs  •  Lecter  •  Dollarhyde  •  Bateman  •  Gumb  •  Doe  •  Morgan •  Todd •  Kevin •  DCS •  Kasem

"Does it really matter? There's shit in the meat and we're all pink inside. Live a little..." The Gnub

"I look forward to the sweet release of death..." Dave, on behalf of all Prepress

Member #285 • OG PH8 • Award-Winning • Population Control Enthusiast • Master of Freehand Jobs • Hater of All • Prodigy of Addition & Subtraction