xx
Embedding fonts, Indesign export
by scottrsimons
January 09, 2019, 02:51:42 PM

xx
Prepress/Sheetfed for Dummies
by born2print
January 09, 2019, 02:35:47 PM

Topic: Using InDesign for non-print related jobs? (Read 6895 times) previous topic - next topic

Using InDesign for non-print related jobs?

Every time I go to one of Adobe's road shows, they demonstrate how InDesign can be used for more than just print publications. Since I am quite fond of Indy (and admittedly hate MS Word and PowerPoint), I also use it for creating on-screen presentations and manuals. I do wonder however how many people regularly export InDesign content to Dreamweaver. Adobe's attempts to convince us that InDesign is a great authoring tool for Flash content also leave me scratching my head. It all looks fine with the well-prepared sample files used during those seminars but how many people actually work this way?

Since I am curious about this, I've put up a poll at Prepressure.com. Votes are appreciated as are your thoughts about using InDesign for multi-channel publishing.

Re: Using InDesign for non-print related jobs?

Reply #1
I've found it to be less than useful for web/html. It's like you say, looks great in the demos but real world is a lot different. Flash is pretty basic stuff it seems. I've created some basic page flipping books but there are absolutely no extras in pubs created for this, for example zoom or page controls. Unless they've added it in CS5. If anyone has CS5, I'd be interested in if they improved that functionality.
Mac OS 10.12 Sierra | Prinergy 7.5 | Adobe Creative Cloud 2017 | Two Luscher XPose 160 CTP units

Prepress: One who does precision guess work based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Reply #2
No.

I'm one of those wild childs who uses applications for exactly what they were designed for. InDesign is a page layout app for print material and nothing more. The more Adobe tries to stuff into InDesign, the worse it's going to get. Why can't they keep it simple?

We all see what happened when quark added their demonic "save for web" feature. It generated the worst code I've ever seen. I hope nobody actually tried to use that.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Reply #3
I have CS5 at home. I have played a little with the new interactive features and I admit that they are cool. They are very limited compared to Flash Pro but are a good start. You can't expect Adobe to let you have everything so you would buy CS6. But I am disappointed at some of those features like the fact that the buttons they had in CS4 you were able to place as navigation buttons (previous page, next page, etc.) and export to pdf. Now in CS5 they only work when exported to swf or you have to export the buttons out to swf, then place them back into the InDesign file as a swf file before exporting to a interactive pdf. Another problem is that swf files placed into a InDesign file tend to shrink in size in a pdf when you click on them. I have read others on different forums having this issue.

As for zoom and page controls, I haven't played with it enough . . . yet, but I can't see anything that can give you zoom capabilities. And yes, InDesign CS5 lets you create a html file when you click Export to Flash Player (swf) and tell it to generate a html file. BTW, check out WIRED magazine on the iPad videos. WIRED and Adobe reported that the magazine is created in InDesign CS5 but I'm pretty sure that there had to be some (or a lot) of Flash Pro involved.

Wired Magazine on Apple iPad

See Wired Magazine on iPad
iMac • Mac OSX 10.11.6 • Creative Cloud 2017
Prinergy • Preps 7.5 • Trendsetter 800

Reply #4
Hey Joe, did you do something different to the forums. I see that when I paste a link to a video, it now shows with a preview instead of just a simple link. I like it! :smiley:
iMac • Mac OSX 10.11.6 • Creative Cloud 2017
Prinergy • Preps 7.5 • Trendsetter 800

Reply #5
Yes, since Aeva Media was installed, links from youtube and other media sites automatically get embedded.
Mac OS 10.12 Sierra | Prinergy 7.5 | Adobe Creative Cloud 2017 | Two Luscher XPose 160 CTP units

Prepress: One who does precision guess work based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Reply #6
So...you don't trumpet improvements, just quietly introduce them. Not like Adobe.    :undecided:  Then again, you're not trying to sell it to us, either.   :laugh: 
I'll be happy to just get upgraded to Intel Macs and install CS5 without incident. Then Export a clean PDF that will go through XMF. I ask nothing more at this stage.  swf, to me is SWTF, pretty much.
Fujifilm XMF/AdobeCC/PitStop Pro/Black Magic/ScreenPlateRite_Fujifilm ZP processless. 28" Komoris  |  Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Too old for this.. but.. there's that question of income. And lack of it if I stop.
~~~~~~

Reply #7

I'm one of those wild childs who uses applications for exactly what they were designed for. InDesign is a page layout app for print material and nothing more. The more Adobe tries to stuff into InDesign, the worse it's going to get. Why can't they keep it simple?

Because you can never sell upgrades for something that is simple, does just one thing and works well?

On the one hand I understand your point of view but at the same time it feels a bit wrong that a design app shouldn't offer the possibility of exporting a Flash-based flipbook, a feature that a lot of people have been asking for. The same is true for iPad/tablet optimized versions of publications. Doesn't it sound silly to first create a layout for print and then have to start completely from scratch to do the same for a somewhat but not radically different type of output?

It is a thin line that Adobe are walking: bloat versus versatility. I hope they don't screw up. Some may argue that they already have.

Reply #8
We have a flip-book Export facility in XMF, so don't need Indy's. Then again, if I were a dezinger, I could see that could be a good thing. As CS5's running on Intel only now, I also assume its running pretty quickly, despite bloat. Must say, am getting pretty PO'd with opening syuff on PPC lately; Acrobat included. I run a reasonably well-maintaned PPC; all the usual utilities are run at 1st sign of slow-down/flakiness. But still feels slow.
Fujifilm XMF/AdobeCC/PitStop Pro/Black Magic/ScreenPlateRite_Fujifilm ZP processless. 28" Komoris  |  Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Too old for this.. but.. there's that question of income. And lack of it if I stop.
~~~~~~

Reply #9

Doesn't it sound silly to first create a layout for print and then have to start completely from scratch to do the same for a somewhat but not radically different type of output?

Yes. If people are really asking for it then by all means offer a bloated, overloaded version of Indy for desingers that want it all packed into one app. A professional prepress version of Indy should be offered, with none of the extra bells & whistles for those of us who only want to use it for print layouts and prep/output for printing.

I will never use Flash anyway. I wish it would die.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david