Calling all Nexus, ArtPro, PowerLayout Users/Gurus

Started by EmptyWords, August 10, 2010, 02:08:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David

Quote from: haushold on August 11, 2010, 12:49:17 PMI can only imagine the crap you would get - getting others prescreened files. Nothing I know of can fix it.

a small fire works great...

just sayin'
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

G_Town

Quote from: EmptyWords on August 10, 2010, 08:56:26 PM
Quote from: Joe on August 10, 2010, 08:48:09 PM
Quote from: EmptyWords on August 10, 2010, 08:27:17 PMJoe,

Our rip is re-screening the files sent in since they have both screened and non-screened artwork ganged on a presssheet, I tried to do a screened page for the live artwork and try to match the screened file a bit, but everytime I do that and plug it into ArtPro/PowerLayout and run it through a unscreened rasterise separations, I get a failure at the make presstek file, f I run it through a screening workflow, it works fine and does not fail. The other trick you talked about, is that the files are coming from all over the place and I know for sure that 3 I just had run were actually originally done at 2400 and re-rezed to 2540. Moire's well I have seen quite a few of those w/ all this pre-screening coming in, it's been nothing but a crap shoot along, but you know how some people are, they read something in a mag and thinks it's the greatest idea every, so from then on, everything they do is based on a uneducated quick read/buzz word.

Thanks....
EW

I used to send mixed files to an imagesetter through a Delta RIP years ago and it would only screen the non-screened files and not touch the screened files. This was back in the late 90's and I don't know if there would be a setting on your Nexus RIP or not that could tell it not to rescreen the screened data.

Re-rezzing files to match the output device will not work. They would have to be created at the proper rez from the start.

Nevertheless....beck has hit the proverbial nail on the head.

I tried to find something along the lines of that but could not, course I am not a Nexus guru, never had even one class on the operation/building of workflows, maybe someone who knows Nexus inside & out could  tell me different.

I have old copy dots that we send to plate through artpro/nexus that keep the original screening, not sure how or why yours is?

Also we use links and pages with our one up pages being 1bits, so we can have any mix of screenings we want.

Joe

Quote from: haushold on August 11, 2010, 12:49:17 PMThe only prescreened files we receive are either film scans from items we have ran in the past - or new jobs set up to our specs. I can only imagine the crap you would get - getting others prescreened files. Nothing I know of can fix it.

At my old work place we used to scan film all the time. First on a Hell CN-420 flatbed that scanned and de-screened it and later a Hell-Topaz scanner. The de-screening option ran about $40,000 at the time. It did a great job. We used it for national publications like Cosmopolitan, Woman's Day, and Good Housekeeping. You couldn't tell the pages had ever been screened after it de-screened them. In a pinch these days I use gaussian blur in Photoshop. Our Epson flatbed here has a descreen option but it sucks.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

Quote from: G_Town on August 11, 2010, 02:40:58 PM

Our rip is re-screening the files sent in since they have both screened and non-screened artwork ganged on a presssheet, I tried to do a screened page for the live artwork and try to match the screened file a bit, but everytime I do that and plug it into ArtPro/PowerLayout and run it through a unscreened rasterise separations, I get a failure at the make presstek file, f I run it through a screening workflow, it works fine and does not fail. The other trick you talked about, is that the files are coming from all over the place and I know for sure that 3 I just had run were actually originally done at 2400 and re-rezed to 2540. Moire's well I have seen quite a few of those w/ all this pre-screening coming in, it's been nothing but a crap shoot along, but you know how some people are, they read something in a mag and thinks it's the greatest idea every, so from then on, everything they do is based on a uneducated quick read/buzz word.

Thanks....
EW

I used to send mixed files to an imagesetter through a Delta RIP years ago and it would only screen the non-screened files and not touch the screened files. This was back in the late 90's and I don't know if there would be a setting on your Nexus RIP or not that could tell it not to rescreen the screened data.

Re-rezzing files to match the output device will not work. They would have to be created at the proper rez from the start.

I tried to find something along the lines of that but could not, course I am not a Nexus guru, never had even one class on the operation/building of workflows, maybe someone who knows Nexus inside & out could  tell me different.

I have old copy dots that we send to plate through artpro/nexus that keep the original screening, not sure how or why yours is?

Also we use links and pages with our one up pages being 1bits, so we can have any mix of screenings we want.

That's the way ours did too.

G_Town

Quote from: Joe on August 11, 2010, 03:03:15 PM

Thanks....
EW

Hmmm rip setting?

How are you sending them to nexus? Placed in an Artpro file or some other way?

andyfest

It's been a few years since we got any copy-dot scans, but Nexus used to be able to recognize and skip the screening on those types without prompting. I will check on our workflows and see if there is something I can help you with. Hang tight for a couple of days.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

andyfest

I tried testing copydot files from back in 2003, but they all failed in Nexus 9.5.3. Back then we used 7.5, which worked flawlessly - I wonder what changed? Sorry I can't help on this one.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

G_Town

Quote from: andyfest on August 12, 2010, 01:53:34 PMI tried testing copydot files from back in 2003, but they all failed in Nexus 9.5.3. Back then we used 7.5, which worked flawlessly - I wonder what changed? Sorry I can't help on this one.

We actually are printing old copy dot jobs this week with no issues??

version 9.5.4 strange.

Joe

tuff_gong

When we ran nexus 8.2 raster, I could edit the plate files in photoshop and drop directly into the hot folder on the print controller. Editing an image for a 40 inch plate took some time, as I recall.......
"Cops Nab Co-Eds in Pot Orgy"

G_Town

We drop the DCS files (no relation) into an Artpro document and drop it into a layout and away it goes.

EmptyWords

Quote from: haushold on August 11, 2010, 12:49:17 PMThe only prescreened files we receive are either film scans from items we have ran in the past - or new jobs set up to our specs. I can only imagine the crap you would get - getting others prescreened files. Nothing I know of can fix it.

Many of the files coming to us are very old and have been done w/ a CopyDot scanner, but all of the ones so far have been @ lower dpi/line screens than what we run. I did a test on one we received the other day, since the rip is re-screeening the files, I ran it thought a Paragon dot w/ a high line screen, it turn out not too bad, better than the earlier ones. Go figure. Some of the files are really in bad condition when we get them, maybe scanned off a lower end scanner w/ low quality CopyDot software.
Esko Automation Engine  •  Imaging Engine  •  Nexus  •  Odystar  •  Neo  •  ArtPro  •  ArtPro+ Layout
Esko ArtPro+ Advanced  •  ArtPro+ Essentials  •  Esko PowerStepper/PowerLayout  •  Kodak Preps 8
Hyphen ImpoProof 8400S  •  CGS Oris ColorTuner // Web  •  Epson Stylus Pro 7900  •  Apogee Prepress
Agfa/Screen Avalon  •  Xerox iGen  •  Versant 180  •  Iridesse  •  Mark Andy  •  Heidelberg  •  Kirk-Rudy

EmptyWords

Quote from: G_Town on August 11, 2010, 02:40:58 PMI have old copy dots that we send to plate through artpro/nexus that keep the original screening, not sure how or why yours is?

See, I think that might be part of the problem we are having, we don't use link files & pages and the files coming in are pre-seped single DCS files. We have the TotalRip pdf option, we didn't buy any of the Nexus Processor, Import and a few other licenses. What we do is get pdf files, either by client submission as pdf or from live artwork they send in and we generate pdfs, impose in PowerLayout or PowerStepper, then off to our Nexus box via hot folder.
Esko Automation Engine  •  Imaging Engine  •  Nexus  •  Odystar  •  Neo  •  ArtPro  •  ArtPro+ Layout
Esko ArtPro+ Advanced  •  ArtPro+ Essentials  •  Esko PowerStepper/PowerLayout  •  Kodak Preps 8
Hyphen ImpoProof 8400S  •  CGS Oris ColorTuner // Web  •  Epson Stylus Pro 7900  •  Apogee Prepress
Agfa/Screen Avalon  •  Xerox iGen  •  Versant 180  •  Iridesse  •  Mark Andy  •  Heidelberg  •  Kirk-Rudy

EmptyWords

Quote from: Joe on August 11, 2010, 03:02:20 PM

At my old work place we used to scan film all the time. First on a Hell CN-420 flatbed that scanned and de-screened it and later a Hell-Topaz scanner. The de-screening option ran about $40,000 at the time. It did a great job. We used it for national publications like Cosmopolitan, Woman's Day, and Good Housekeeping. You couldn't tell the pages had ever been screened after it de-screened them. In a pinch these days I use gaussian blur in Photoshop. Our Epson flatbed here has a descreen option but it sucks.

Funny, we got the Topaz many years ago, then they found out it had a CopyDot option, the big wigs here went nuts with all of the things they thought they could do and bring in new revenue, so off they go telling all these clients we have and many we were in the process of trying to get, that we could take all the old film from them and other printers and turn it into digital files. Well, they request a quote for the CopyDot option w/ software, etc, they about shit, we all looked at them and flat out told them, what you thought you could get this stuff for just a few hundred bucks. Made them look like fools to many of our customers who later came to us to get film scanned, we still have that Topaz to this day.

EmptyWords

Quote from: G_Town on August 11, 2010, 03:27:14 PM
Quote from: Joe on August 11, 2010, 03:03:15 PM

Thanks....
EW

Hmmm rip setting?

How are you sending them to nexus? Placed in an Artpro file or some other way?

G—
We drop pdf files into powerlayout then send off to a TotalRip pdf workflow, there maybe something I am missing as far as a setting, hell I don't know, I have scoured the Nexus manual so many times I am now dreaming of that damn thing at night.