Recent

Author Topic: No compete  (Read 10028 times)

Offline Farabomb

• #NoLivesMatter
  • Supreme Ninja
  • Wait, what?
    • My other job
Re: No compete
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2010, 10:14:09 AM »
My personal convictions wouldn't allow me to divulge company secrets non-compete or not, no matter how bad it was and how vindictive I felt. I can understand the x amount of time from training to when you can quit. If I spent time and money teaching someone a trade and they bounced after 3 months to the competition I'd be pretty pissed. Making someone sign a document preventing them from working in a trade that they spent years training and continue to learn is criminal. Almost sounds like indentured servitude. Now the sausages on the other hand should be freely traded to the competition.

PB, I was thinking the same thing. Maybe the bosses just need to have a power trip.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear date=1459965256 link=msg=278846
Quote from: Farabomb date=1459964381 link=msg=278844
It's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Offline Aaron

« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2010, 10:14:49 AM »
Pretty funny huh. Well, this all came about when a key guy in bindery left to go to another shop in town that has "stolen" our employees in the past. This makes the 3rd guy to leave here and go over there (over about a 9 year span).

I just don't want to handcuff myself if something every became available... the chances are slim I know, but nothing is impossible right?

Or when the economy turns around and jobs grow on trees again!  :cheesy:
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 10:16:47 AM by Aaron »
Prinergy 6.1, UpFront, Magnus Quantum 400 , Epson 9880, Insite 7.0, Sonora

"You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts." -- John Cleese, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Offline DCurry

• Ninja Member
  • The jerk store called, and they're out of you.
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2010, 10:17:57 AM »
You'd think that instead of trying to lock you in, they might take a look at why this other company has been able to attract so many of their employees and try to keep them happy instead.
Prinergy 8.1.1.286 • Preps 8 (Not a fan) • SmartStream Designer

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Offline Aaron

« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2010, 10:21:24 AM »

You'd think that instead of trying to lock you in, they might take a look at why this other company has been able to attract so many of their employees and try to keep them happy instead.

EXACTLY! Seems like a no-brainer.

So if somewhere else offers you more money, better benefits, better work environment, you should turn it down because you were trained well at your current employer?!?!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 10:22:07 AM by Aaron »

"You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts." -- John Cleese, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Offline Joe

• Master of Nothing
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Warlord
    • B4Print.com
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2010, 10:39:25 AM »

You will never make it in the corporate world. :tongue:
Mac OS 10.14.6 Mojave | Prinergy 8.2 | Adobe Creative Cloud 2019 | Two Luscher XPose 160 CTP units

Prepress: One who does precision guess work based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Offline DCurry

• Ninja Member
  • The jerk store called, and they're out of you.
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2010, 11:21:58 AM »

I'm smack-dab in the middle of the corporate world now!
Prinergy 8.1.1.286 • Preps 8 (Not a fan) • SmartStream Designer

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Offline Captain_Type

« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2010, 01:13:26 PM »

I'm smack-dab in the middle of the corporate world now!

Can't you tell from the "with-it" hair styles?
Esko Automation Engine 16.0.2
ArtPro+ 16.0.2 - Neo 2.1.3
Javelin Imagesetter
Epson Stylus Pro 7900
ImpoProofer

Offline Captain_Type

« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2010, 01:15:18 PM »
Needs accessorizing, though.

Javelin Imagesetter
Epson Stylus Pro 7900
ImpoProofer

Offline Captain_Type

« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2010, 01:27:06 PM »
For the record, I love your sig, DCurry.  :cheesy:
Javelin Imagesetter
Epson Stylus Pro 7900
ImpoProofer

Offline mattbeals

• Just a dude
    • Matt Beals
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2010, 01:32:08 PM »
If you left the company and went to work for someone else I seriously doubt it would hold up in court. Now there are NDA's that they can make a condition of employment. Generally those cover proprietary business information. Some will even include IP rights to "inventions" or "methodologies" that are developed at the company and make those property of the Company and not you. Many things can be made "proprietary". Seriously though, I'd spend the $200 and call an employment law attorney. If they say they won't hold up in court I say do NOT sign.

Are you already an existing employee or did they offer you a job?
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

Offline Captain_Type

« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2010, 01:35:16 PM »
Just add a clause whereby they agree to go out of business if they let you go within whatever the agreed-to timeframe is. Fair is fair.
Javelin Imagesetter
Epson Stylus Pro 7900
ImpoProofer

Offline Aaron

« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2010, 01:41:38 PM »
I am an existing employee. Been here about 10 years now. Everyone got one yesterday.

Matt, if it wouldn't hold up in court, shouldn't I just sign it and forget it?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 01:42:19 PM by Aaron »

Offline mattbeals

• Just a dude
    • Matt Beals
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2010, 01:54:44 PM »
@Aaron You could sign it and risk it if you ever left. I doubt that the company you are signing it for would actually come after you since it is a non-sales/non-management position. However, if they did you would most likely be on the hook for attorneys fees, you'rs that is. I tend to think that this is an intimidation tactic. If they want you to sign a no-compete like this imagine what it's like working for them every day...

Generally, mind you this is not legal advice, you and an authorized officer of the company can strike or add any provision you wish as long as it does not violate local, State or Federal laws and that it is counter signed. You can negotiate terms and conditions. They don't have to agree to sign, but neither do you. I would question the intent or spirit of the agreement. Is it meant to be applied to all workers including shippers, janitorial staff, executives, managers, etc or people with key business information.

If this no compete is a condition of employment I would talk with an employment law attorney. Chances are the Company already invested some time with an attorney to draw up the agreement. But it always is good advice to talk to an expert.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

Offline Aaron

« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2010, 02:01:49 PM »
Thanks for the advise Matt. Oh yeah, it was written up by his attorney. 5 pages worth. And there are 2 provisions in it that state no provisions can be omitted and that if it did go to court, I was responsible for paying for their attorney fees and court costs. Oh yeah, they covered everything. And everyone got one. Even the owners kids! He said if someone refused to sign it, they would be fired.

Fun times...

Offline mattbeals

• Just a dude
    • Matt Beals
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2010, 02:04:41 PM »
Sounds like coersion. I'd call an attorney on your lunch break from a cell phone in the parking lot. Strike that, I would call from a cell phone off company property, off company time.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 02:05:46 PM by mattbeals »
Matt Beals