7 (53.8%)
Mac mini
2 (15.4%)
or Other (PC or Whatever)
6 (46.2%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: November 28, 2010, 11:09:32 AM

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: t-pat on November 02, 2011, 10:52:29 AMat some point you've got to let go of the old programs. I mean, seriously some of these things are from the last century.

We just had excellent news - our biggest repeat Ragemaker job is now going to convert to Indy! But the new (read: not 95 years old) person "still hasn't had time to learn Indesign" (groan) so we get to build a master of this publication for her to populate.

I don't agree. Output should be done from the originating application. Up-versioning and opening files from one app to the next is just looking for trouble.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Quote from: t-pat on November 02, 2011, 10:52:29 AMat some point you've got to let go of the old programs. I mean, seriously some of these things are from the last century.

We just had excellent news - our biggest repeat Ragemaker job is now going to convert to Indy! But the new (read: not 95 years old) person "still hasn't had time to learn Indesign" (groan) so we get to build a master of this publication for her to populate.

If it is like any of my customers they ask for the master and then completely ignore it. :death:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on November 02, 2011, 11:01:07 AM

I don't agree. Output should be done from the originating application. Up-versioning and opening files from one app to the next is just looking for trouble.

If all the people of the world would upgrade, then our worries would be over, for a few days anyway.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

hotmetal

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on November 02, 2011, 11:01:07 AMI don't agree. Output should be done from the originating application. Up-versioning and opening files from one app to the next is just looking for trouble.

Don't go looking for trouble... trouble will find you!
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." ...
Hunter S. Thompson

t-pat

You don't agree with what? That the programs are antique? I am meaning that everyone (not just us) should move the f*ck on and update to something that actually runs on a modern computer.

As far as changing versions, I have to do it all the time with Indy because we only have licensing for XMpie for CS3. Otherwise I do try to avoid it because going backwards tends to be a hell of a lot more problematic than going forwards, at least with Indy. I don't see problems opening Indy CS3 files in 5.5 but the other way is sometimes messy.

vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: david on November 02, 2011, 11:03:27 AM

If all the people of the world would upgrade, then our worries would be over, for a few days anyway.

Now THAT I can agree with. :wink:
Member #285 - Civilian

t-pat

sometimes I just don't have choices, I work with other people and enforcement of "use the version it came in as" is pretty lax so I have to pick up where a co-worker left off, and I can understand where trying all 4 of our installed versions of Indy before deciding which to use vs. hell it opens in 5.5, let's go! is a less annoying route.
vdp donkey

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: t-pat on November 02, 2011, 11:45:24 AMsometimes I just don't have choices, I work with other people and enforcement of "use the version it came in as" is pretty lax so I have to pick up where a co-worker left off, and I can understand where trying all 4 of our installed versions of Indy before deciding which to use vs. hell it opens in 5.5, let's go! is a less annoying route.

It doesn't happen often, just enough to make the rule null and void. InDesign, I have seen different versions react differently to the same file. Colors don't appear in the swatch palette, fonts going bonkers... I'd rather do it in the version created, that way I am mimicking the customer as close as possible. I understand we have to work with the tools we have, but to dismiss the problems that can occur because it is "less annoying" is just not doing your job to the best of your abilities. Prepress is a bitch, no one will argue here about that... but being the ultimate pessimist, you have to do what is right for you and your experience. That was a general statement.

Do you have the ID proxy? It will open InDesign files in the correct version up to CS4, IF they are loaded. If it won't open, it is in CS5 or 5.5. Takes a little of the guess work out.
Member #285 - Civilian

t-pat

hell I've got fonts going bonkers in files opened in their native version today. I'll look for that proxy thing you speak of, nebber herd of it, thanks!
vdp donkey

t-pat

vdp donkey

David

I thought it was free? it's 20 bucks now.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigitalCrapShoveler

Christ. Is there anything they don't charge for nowadays? I almost expect to get a bill for individual human oxygen consumption at the end of the month.
Member #285 - Civilian

t-pat

this is not "proxy" it is "Soxy" - which also does other applications besides indy. My boss will likely spring for the $20, it seems like a small price to pay.
vdp donkey

Farabomb

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on November 02, 2011, 01:04:02 PMChrist. Is there anything they don't charge for nowadays? I almost expect to get a bill for individual human oxygen consumption at the end of the month.

Don't give the government any ideas.

I try and open it in the native version but it's not always possible. I've seen weird stuff going either way.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Farabomb on November 02, 2011, 01:56:40 PM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on November 02, 2011, 01:04:02 PMChrist. Is there anything they don't charge for nowadays? I almost expect to get a bill for individual human oxygen consumption at the end of the month.

Don't give the government any ideas.

I try and open it in the native version but it's not always possible. I've seen weird stuff going either way.

Can you elaborate?
Member #285 - Civilian